Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2023, 04:32 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,185,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by areyouaweir View Post
I thought about how much I'm actually paying for car ownership if I were to buy one.. it's pretty much $20,000/year for 5 years, not including maintenance.

$71,000 for the car
$200/month insurance
$200/month parking
$50/month gas

Starting to second guess if it's really worth it now.

Not owning one would allow me to raise my rent budget a bit and invest the savings..
Far more than 20k. Just the number you listed will amount to $450 per month, or 27k over 5 years. Plus the installments on a 71k car. And, you don't want to drive a 71k car in JC. Trust me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2023, 05:08 PM

50 posts, read 36,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
Far more than 20k. Just the number you listed will amount to $450 per month, or 27k over 5 years. Plus the installments on a 71k car. And, you don't want to drive a 71k car in JC. Trust me.
Hmm. That's a good point. Expensive car in the city isn't a good idea..

I guess I will have to postpone the car purchase until I'm in the suburbs.. if it ever happens. In a suburb now and I don't like having to drive everywhere.

Old 02-20-2023, 05:19 PM

76 posts, read 106,928 times
If you live close to the PATH or Light rail in Jersey City, you won't need a car that much. Most of the town is walkable. And the PATH can take you to NYC in minutes. Unless you live in one of the big high rises, then parking is a pain.

Save yourself some headache and don't buy the car. Use Zip-car or EWR airport car rentals for short-term excursions.

Old 02-20-2023, 11:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Second the comments on renting a car when necessary. Say you spend $150 (including gas, marginal insurance, etc) for a car rental twice a month (nowadays, there's different options, even some private car owners are renting out their cars for the weekend, increasing the available supply). That's $300 a month, which might be the cost of a garage alone, never mind insurance, depreciation, etc

Even in areas far from the path, there's usually buses (and even some jitney lines available), and the light rail, so mobility shouldn't be a huge issue for most trips.

Old 02-21-2023, 03:02 PM

961 posts, read 721,516 times
My personal opinion on the matter is that it's worth it to have a car, it's not worth it to have an expensive car. Even if you live near the Path, having the option to get out of the city on weekends, or down the shore, or wherever, is a really nice option to have. We moved from TX 10 years ago and are still amazed at all of the interesting places that are within a 2-3 hour drive.

The reason I say it's not worth it having an expensive car is that a) you won't drive it too frequently and b) it's a city so will get ding'd up. It's just a fact of life around here.

So yes the S4 is a great car, but if you're only using it once per week it doesn't make a ton of sense (unless you're swimming in cash, at that point do whatever you want).

Old 02-22-2023, 03:58 PM

6,412 posts, read 3,128,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
I don’t have experience with that, but I would say no. Because you are likely talking about street parking then instead of a garage.
Indeed!

Many years ago, I had to attend a family funeral, in JC. Wound up staying overnight at one of my aunt's houses, and no, she didn't even have a driveway, let alone a garage. I had to park my 2 week old car on the street. It wasn't a fancy car, but still and all, it was brand new. I got up the next morning, to head home, to find that my car was "3rd base" in a game of stickball.............

Old 02-23-2023, 05:21 AM

3,422 posts, read 1,836,591 times
I would say.. get the car.

That Light Rail system does NOT go everywhere and I can only imagine how militant they are about trying to make everyone wear masks when on it.

Get the car. Have your freedom.

Old 02-23-2023, 07:14 AM

443 posts, read 316,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrioticSuperman View Post
I would say.. get the car.

That Light Rail system does NOT go everywhere and I can only imagine how militant they are about trying to make everyone wear masks when on it.

Get the car. Have your freedom.
You don't have to imagine. It's not a thing.

Old 02-23-2023, 08:30 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,122,745 times
When I moved back from overseas I was staying with my parents for a few months at their place which was 3 blocks from the light rail. I had been living overseas for 2 years without a car and then 12 years before that in Philly with no car and I didn't find that part of the transition difficult - if anything it was easier because when I came back Uber/Lyft and Instacart were a normal part of everyday life.

The light rail and PATH together form a pretty solid network. You can get to a lot of things. If you have a car in Texas the biggest transition/learning curve is making a mental map of where everything is, what you'll be passing on your way to/from so that you can take care of multiple errands on your way home.

As far as weekends go, the city is going to keep you busy for a long time, you can get to a lot more places on NJTransit, LIRR, and MetroNorth, and when you do need a car to get somewhere off the beaten path, just rent one. It's not worth the hassle and expense of having a car there.

Old 02-23-2023, 09:16 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
^Agree. And you may find you "need" a car less often than you think. I rent one maybe 3-4 times a year. I use uber/Lyft maybe once a month. PATH, walking, and a bicycle really get me most places I need to go on a daily basis, and the other transit systems get me farther afield when I need to go farther afield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey