Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2023, 06:27 PM

50 posts, read 36,068 times

Advertisements

Hey all - I've been patiently waiting to purchase a new car here in Texas but given I'm considering a move to JC, not quite sure if that's a good idea.

I want the car because of the following reasons:
1) Always wanted the car I'm thinking of buying (Audi S5)
2) Want to be able to take weekend trips to nice areas
3) Want to be able to drive during the winter months

If my primary reason for moving to JC is to have proximity to NYC, is a car overrated? Are there any major disadvantages of owning a car here, such as parking, or having to pay for parking to store it? What about crime/vandalism?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2023, 06:45 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,751,616 times
Depends where in Jersey City. Living anywhere downtown near the PATH, you can get by without a car and Uber/Zipcar as needed. Parking garages run another $300 per month or more. However, if you are going to be living more on the interior of Jersey City without that kind of access to public transportation, you should definitely have a car.

Old 02-17-2023, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
Depends where in Jersey City. Living anywhere downtown near the PATH, you can get by without a car and Uber/Zipcar as needed. Parking garages run another $300 per month or more. However, if you are going to be living more on the interior of Jersey City without that kind of access to public transportation, you should definitely have a car.
I'm trying to limit my rent to $2500 or so and I think that wouldn't get me a place near PATH.. so if I go further out, is parking still that expensive? $300 is steep!

Old 02-17-2023, 07:32 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,751,616 times
I don’t have experience with that, but I would say no. Because you are likely talking about street parking then instead of a garage. There are some apartment towers away from the PATH that might have garages…those are likely cheaper than what you would find downtown. All depends on where you look.

Some apartment towers not by the PATH will run a shuttle for residents to the PATH. Lots of different options to explore, but I would say the general rule of thumb is that if you are not downtown, you ought to have a car.

Old 02-17-2023, 11:29 PM

10,435 posts, read 6,964,415 times
If you get a parking garage your car will be safe. If youre in NJ youre going to want to have a car.

Old 02-18-2023, 08:26 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,186,176 times
Be prepared for a sticker shock - for rent, parking, and insurance. Insurance in JC is considerably high due to car break-ins, and the number of uninsured motorist.

If I were you, I'd wait until moving to JC to first to figure out -
1. rent $$
2. then determine the parking situation - if parking is included, if not, is it street parking or how much would it cost to park in a garage
3. and then find the insurance cost for the model you plan to buy

Only after you have all the variables figured out, then consider your budget and see if you need one. Very much possible that using zip car/uber for weekly getaways might be cheaper than owning a car in JC.

Old 02-18-2023, 09:15 AM

445 posts, read 317,669 times
It would be easier to answer after you find a potential rental spot and we which neighborhood. Chances are that it will be tough to park regardless. I'd try to find a place for rent that has parking.

Old 02-18-2023, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
Be prepared for a sticker shock - for rent, parking, and insurance. Insurance in JC is considerably high due to car break-ins, and the number of uninsured motorist.

If I were you, I'd wait until moving to JC to first to figure out -
1. rent $$
2. then determine the parking situation - if parking is included, if not, is it street parking or how much would it cost to park in a garage
3. and then find the insurance cost for the model you plan to buy

Only after you have all the variables figured out, then consider your budget and see if you need one. Very much possible that using zip car/uber for weekly getaways might be cheaper than owning a car in JC.
I thought about how much I'm actually paying for car ownership if I were to buy one.. it's pretty much $20,000/year for 5 years, not including maintenance.

$71,000 for the car
$200/month insurance
$200/month parking
$50/month gas

Starting to second guess if it's really worth it now.

Not owning one would allow me to raise my rent budget a bit and invest the savings..

Old 02-18-2023, 02:13 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,299,392 times
I had a car when I moved to Jersey City. Kept it for a couple of years and then sold it. Wish I had gotten rid of it sooner. It was more of a burden than an asset. Use zipcar or rent when you want to take a weekend away. Otherwise no need or desire to have a car here.

Old 02-18-2023, 02:18 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,299,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by areyouaweir View Post
I thought about how much I'm actually paying for car ownership if I were to buy one.. it's pretty much $20,000/year for 5 years, not including maintenance.

$71,000 for the car
$200/month insurance
$200/month parking
$50/month gas

Starting to second guess if it's really worth it now.

Not owning one would allow me to raise my rent budget a bit and invest the savings..
Yes. I got rid of my car 12 years ago and estimated that I’ve saved $93,000 in that time. That’s almost a down payment on a condo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey