Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2023, 10:12 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
What the heck does that mean? Are we supposed to move because the railroad system is malfunctioning?

This is the worst I've seen it in the 5 years I've lived here.

Your links don't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2023, 11:32 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
What the heck does that mean? Are we supposed to move because the railroad system is malfunctioning?

This is the worst I've seen it in the 5 years I've lived here.

Your links don't work.
Obviously the links don't work because he inserted an "h" into the word "transit". Clever, I guess, but...then the links won't work, so why bother to post them.

Old 07-09-2023, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
According to NJT, Amtrak wire issues are to blame due to them getting too hot in this weather. I still feel NJT needs to still assume responsibility for all passengers they leave stranded. Not everyone can afford an Uber these long distances, especially into NYC. They really should provide substitute bus service whenever there are major rail issues like this. I feel bad for all you rail commuters.

https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news...d-wire-issues/
Providing bus service is exactly what they did.

It's a problem that needs a more permanent solution, though.

Old 07-09-2023, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Providing bus service is exactly what they did.

It's a problem that needs a more permanent solution, though.
There is no bus service to the Hamilton train station.

Old 07-10-2023, 09:06 AM

1,138 posts, read 856,433 times
Quote:
Yeah, I wasn't aware the NJT provided any substitite bus service for those stranded passengers. At least their website nor any media source I found mentioned they did anything to get the passengers to their destinations. On NJT Reddit's page, all I saw were angry posts and no mention of substitute bus service being provided.

Old 07-10-2023, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
Yeah, I wasn't aware the NJT provided any substitite bus service for those stranded passengers. At least their website nor any media source I found mentioned they did anything to get the passengers to their destinations. On NJT Reddit's page, all I saw were angry posts and no mention of substitute bus service being provided.
It's ironic, too, since the NEC train services Princeton. I guess we're supposed to trek to Port Authority and catch a Coach bus from there. Doesn't help anyone southwest of Princeton but that's no surprise....

Old 07-10-2023, 10:07 AM

Quote:
It wasn't regular bus service, it was special buses to move people from the stopped trains to take them to their stations. Not sure if that happened everywhere, though. I was the under the impression that the NEC line was just plain shut down. I don't know if they offered any alternatives or not.

My friend's son is a conductor with Transit, and he was working the NJCL, and he had to get on the bus with the passengers in order to get home himself.

I have to go in tomorrow, and it's supposed to hit 90, so I am a bit apprehensive.

There is no regular bus service to my train station (Little Silver) either. I can use the Academy buses, but they would leave me off three miles from home.

Old 07-10-2023, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It wasn't regular bus service, it was special buses to move people from the stopped trains to take them to their stations. Not sure if that happened everywhere, though. I was the under the impression that the NEC line was just plain shut down. I don't know if they offered any alternatives or not.

My friend's son is a conductor with Transit, and he was working the NJCL, and he had to get on the bus with the passengers in order to get home himself.

I have to go in tomorrow, and it's supposed to hit 90, so I am a bit apprehensive.

There is no regular bus service to my train station (Little Silver) either. I can use the Academy buses, but they would leave me off three miles from home.
Right. It was totally shut down and if I were getting out of class at 9:30 at night, I would have to go to Port Authority, take a Coach bus to Princeton assuming they run that late and then a 20 minute cab ride to get home. This is 2023. There is no excuse for this. I don't care hot it is.

People have no idea how vital Biden's infrastructure bill is going to be. Doesn't help us now though.

Old 07-15-2023, 05:03 AM

https://www.nj.com/news/2023/07/why-...-breaking.html

Quote:
The problem is simple, high heat causes the copper wires and support cables, called catenary, to sag, said Lazar Spasovic, civil and environmental engineering professor and Intelligent Transportation Systems (Resource Center director at the New Jersey Institute of Technology.
Quote:
When the cables sag, the train’s pantograph, the apparatus on roof that picks up the power, pushes upward onto the power line and can snap or rip it, Spasovic said. The fix is to keep the wires taut in hot weather, but allow slack when they contract in cold weather. There are several systems that do this, he said.

One solution that might not be acceptable to passengers is slower train speeds, since it causes delays, Spasovic said. The other are mechanisms to take up the slack, he said.

Old 07-15-2023, 07:03 AM

Slow trains are better than no trains at all. It’s only going to get hotter. They need to come up with a plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: