Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2023, 11:56 PM

10,512 posts, read 7,050,389 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in Scottish food.. will check out as well soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2023, 06:36 AM

4,035 posts, read 3,656,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Similar to British people.

Aren’t the British notorious for bland food?

Old 07-28-2023, 07:10 AM

19,147 posts, read 25,375,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Aren’t the British notorious for bland food?
That hasn't really been the case for a few decades. At this point, Brits are just as likely to "get a curry" as they are to eat anything else. I've had extremely good Indian food, Chinese food, and Middle Eastern food in London--in addition to ordering a traditional Roast Beef with Yorkshire Pudding.

Last edited by Retriever; 07-28-2023 at 07:19 AM..

Old 07-28-2023, 07:23 AM

88,673 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
What do the Scottish eat?
Meat pies, Scottish eggs (which I like), haggis (just no on that one).

Old 07-28-2023, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
That hasn't really been the case for a few decades. At this point, Brits are just as likely to "get a curry" as they are to eat anything else. I've had extremely good Indian food, Chinese food, and Middle Eastern food in London--in addition to ordering a traditional Roast Beef with Yorkshire Pudding.
Same here, but I never had the traditional roast beef with yorkshire pudding.

I visited London in 2015, expecting bland food. I had some of the best pizza in Covent Garden, and I say that as a lifelong Jerseyite. We went to this fantastic vegetarian buffet, which, sadly, has left London and is only in Switzerland now, but I bought their cookbook for my daughter. I was vegetarian at the time, and I had an excellent chickpea pie in a pub near the Tower. Yes, all sorts of Middle Eastern and Far Eastern cuisines available.

Also, we stayed at an airbnb in Southwark. There were a lot of fried chicken places along the main road in our neighborhood.

I did used to know a Brit woman in the US who said when she wanted something to eat that reminded her of home, she would have Heinz vegetarian baked beans over toast. That's probably more the type of Brit food you're thinking of. Didn't tempt me to make it.

Old 07-28-2023, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I did used to know a Brit woman in the US who said when she wanted something to eat that reminded her of home, she would have Heinz vegetarian baked beans over toast. That's probably more the type of Brit food you're thinking of. Didn't tempt me to make it.
The traditional English Breakfast usually consists of fried eggs, sausage or bacon, fried mushrooms, toast, and baked beans. Many years ago, a survey indicated that the majority of Brits considered Heinz to be a British company. Go figure!

The next time that you visit London, I strongly suggest having lunch at Harrods. And, based on the following article, I might add Selfridges to my luncheon list:

https://wwd.com/eye/lifestyle/guide-...ds-1235177546/

Old 07-28-2023, 08:03 AM

Quote:
The traditional English Breakfast usually consists of fried eggs, sausage or bacon, fried mushrooms, toast, and baked beans. Many years ago, a survey indicated that the majority of Brits considered Heinz to be a British company. Go figure!

The next time that you visit London, I strongly suggest having lunch at Harrods. And, based on the following article, I might add Selfridges to my luncheon list:

https://wwd.com/eye/lifestyle/guide-...ds-1235177546/
Thanks. I do hope to go back, and I would like to visit Manchester, as well, since the great-great-grandparents whose (fairly common) last name I carry came from there to Paterson, NJ, in 1863.

Old 07-28-2023, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Thanks. I do hope to go back, and I would like to visit Manchester, as well, since the great-great-grandparents whose (fairly common) last name I carry came from there to Paterson, NJ, in 1863.
My maternal Grandfather's family migrated from London to Manchester in the 1850s, so that city is on the agenda for my next visit. A bit later, they immigrated to The US.

Old 07-28-2023, 11:51 AM

Quote:
My maternal Grandfather's family migrated from London to Manchester in the 1850s, so that city is on the agenda for my next visit. A bit later, they immigrated to The US.
We might be cousins!

Old 07-28-2023, 03:21 PM

Quote:
We might be cousins!
Are any of the surnames in that part of your family any of the following?
Phillips
Harris
Woolf

If we have Woolf in common, then you are likely related to Virginia Woolf, as am I .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey