Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2023, 02:15 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,914,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Or, if like me you never actually went to college, after time passes and you rise through the ranks, everyone assumes you did anyway.
I can relate to that.

I dropped out after one year and got hired for an entry level position in a Fortune 500 company and worked my way up, retiring quite comfortably after 46 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2023, 03:15 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,087,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
If Rutgers looked like Michigan, UVA, UNC, Maryland, Penn State, etc, more NJ students would go to Rutgers.

All these other state universities use NJ as a financial gold mine were many of the NJ families' income is well above the financial aid line and pay the full (out of state) cost of the school. NJ also produces well prepared students who are likely succeed at the school, graduate on time and get jobs pretty quickly. This is more good news for the metrics that show the success of the school.

The price these universities charge for out of state students is now around $60k vs $25k-$35k for in state students. This is a huge financial windfall for these state schools and it seems many have increased the ratio of out of state students to in state students.
Huge.

Michigan is up to almost 50% Out of state. They really have a racket going on there.

Rutgers has the lowest Out of State % of all the Big Ten schools.

I mean, c'mon, you're 50 minutes outside of NYC, and University of Nebraska draws more OOS students.

The fragmented campus is a problem, but not much can be done about that

Old 09-25-2023, 09:08 PM

88,535 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I can relate to that.

I dropped out after one year and got hired for an entry level position in a Fortune 500 company and worked my way up, retiring quite comfortably after 46 years.
Good job. I took a one-year course at a sectetarial school, got a job with a public agency upon graduation at age 20, and in five years was in their "junior management" program. I retired with a decent pension from a division manager position after 37 years.

Old 09-25-2023, 09:33 PM

252 posts, read 456,049 times
College rankings are all over the place. Methodology matters. Here are the Wall Street Journal's rankings published earlier this month.

Rutgers University - New Brunswick ranks 162 of 400.

Princeton ranked 1. NJIT ranked 19.

The methodology is contains many variables and gives a lot of weight to social mobility. "It rewards universities that take in the highest proportion of students coming from lower-income families, while maintaining high graduation rates and having a positive impact on graduate salaries and minimizing the costs of attending the college." Athletics don't factor into the rankings calculation.

This methodology helps a lot of universities in the Cal State system rank well. It boosted NJIT.

All the details are here, though behind the WSJ paywall.

https://www.wsj.com/us-news/educatio...d=hp_lead_pos7

Old 09-26-2023, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Good job. I took a one-year course at a sectetarial school, got a job with a public agency upon graduation at age 20, and in five years was in their "junior management" program. I retired with a decent pension from a division manager position after 37 years.
Life is good

Old 09-26-2023, 09:05 AM

My son was accepted to Rutgers' Supply Chain Management program in 2013. Unfortunately he wasn't ready for prime time discipline wise and instead had the time of his life.

It was a rather quiet ride home after that first year, lol.

We gave him these options; county college for two years, the military or work full time and pay room and board if you wish to live at home.

He took the county college route then enrolled at Rowan University where he killed it.

Same fraternity, different chapter, but a much smaller campus which was more to his liking.

He got a job offer the day after graduating and is still with that firm.

Sometimes one needs to grow up and face uncomfortable choices before getting it together.

Old 09-26-2023, 10:32 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,090,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_J View Post
My nieces and nephews are all in high school now.
They believe that TCNJ is the best public university in the state and that seems to be the consensus amongst their peers. I wonder how TCNJ does in the U.S. News rankings.
News to me and my son's peers who are now in middle school. This college clearly has no name recognition as I had to Google what it stands for.

But the common knowledge in my world is that Rutgers is the best public Liberal Arts/big Research university. NJIT is excellent for STEM, mainly engineering... Montclair state seems to be the second or third best...

Old 09-26-2023, 11:06 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,653,845 times
Quote:
I went to College for two years and loved it but money became an issue and I liked having it so I became employed in 1976 and have been ever since. I will say I have gotten every Job I have ever interviewed for. I chose to work warehouse work and was very lucky to get with two great Companies. Budweiser for 5 and then we moved and I got a job with Bud again for two more years and then went from there to a Grocery Co in Md and retired from there after 32 years as a teamster ,29 being a shop steward. Then got my first desk job with the District Court system and am going on 5 years with them.

Old 09-26-2023, 11:12 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,653,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
News to me and my son's peers who are now in middle school. This college clearly has no name recognition as I had to Google what it stands for.

But the common knowledge in my world is that Rutgers is the best public Liberal Arts/big Research university. NJIT is excellent for STEM, mainly engineering... Montclair state seems to be the second or third best...
Going to give my opinion here and nothing more. Took my youngest on the College tour thing 2002 and we were looking at Seton Hall and Montclair State. She liked Seton Hall and they loved her but while Montclair might be a good school , on that day it was a dirty pig pen. The classrooms we were shown looked like they came out of Camden, I lost all respect for them that day.

Old 09-26-2023, 01:35 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,090,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Going to give my opinion here and nothing more. Took my youngest on the College tour thing 2002 and we were looking at Seton Hall and Montclair State. She liked Seton Hall and they loved her but while Montclair might be a good school , on that day it was a dirty pig pen. The classrooms we were shown looked like they came out of Camden, I lost all respect for them that day.
Yes, but Seton Hal is 3 times as extensive as Montclair state.

I think college tour is a waste of money, at least in my family. Kids should go to the best school that accepts them and that they and their families can afford without incurring unreasonable debt. I don't really care too much what the school looks like as long as it is in a safe location. As far as I am concerned, I am helping my kids pay for education, not partying.

We can not afford to pay for private college or out of state rate for public university. If my kids want to go to those places and take $200k in loans that is on them. They can also pay to visit those schools if they want.

The only exception is if they make it either an Ivy League school or a school with national recognition, like MIT. If they make it to those schools, we might make an effort to help them pay for it. But they would still have to take a huge amount in loans. We might also take them to visit the school after they are accepted there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey