Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2023, 07:45 AM

10,562 posts, read 7,095,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
DannyHobkins must be packing his bags
You're right, this made me put some socks and shoes in the bags I'm packing.

Republicans should have won based on most of the issues and the state of the country. I had a chance to go to a lot of events, and meet and personally get to know also show support for several of the people running for Republican office this cycle.

Republicans have a serious issue in getting its base to vote early instead of relying on showing up to polls on election day. Democrats have really worked hard over the last decade+ in 'training' their base to vote early. The events that I have been going to with Republican Politicians, they tell their constituents, please vote early and a fraction of the crowd will say "we're not voting early, we are voting on election day" as its traditionally to be done. The issue is that life happens, and people don't make it to the polls, and you're going to lose election especially on razor thin margins if 5% of base can't show up on election day physically to a poll.

I anecdotally witness this, I have diehard Republican friends who will spend all year discussing the issues, putting time and effort to go to events and then don't show up to vote. "Well.. I had work, then had make dinner for the kids, and couldn't make it out to vote". It's frustrating to say the least, the way voting is being done and Republicans really need to strategize to have their base vote early like Democrats do.

Last edited by DannyHobkins; 11-08-2023 at 07:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2023, 07:57 AM

12,197 posts, read 8,099,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
You're right, this made me put some socks and shoes in the bags I'm packing.

Republicans should have won based on most of the issues and the state of the country. I had a chance to go to a lot of events, and meet and personally get to know also show support for several of the people running for Republican office this cycle.

Republicans have a serious issue in getting its base to vote early instead of relying on showing up to polls on election day. Democrats have really worked hard over the last decade+ in 'training' their base to vote early. The events that I have been going to with Republican Politicians, they tell their constituents, please vote early and a fraction of the crowd will say "we're not voting early, we are voting on election day" as its traditionally to be done. The issue is that life happens, and people don't make it to the polls, and you're going to lose election especially on razor thin margins if 5% of base can't show up on election day physically to a poll.

I anecdotally witness this, I have diehard Republican friends who will spend all year discussing the issues, putting time and effort to go to events and then don't show up to vote. "Well.. I had work, then had make dinner for the kids, and couldn't make it out to vote". It's frustrating to say the least, the way voting is being done and Republicans really need to 'train' and their base to do early voting.
Hate to say it, but more people who vote for Democrats, don't like Democrats than those who don't like repubs who don't like the repubs. Its just the lesser of two evils in their eyes especially when human rights are on the chopping board. It throws out any of their fiscal similarities or thoughts on international relations, if they skew that way. Also democrats tend to skew a significant younger audience, where its more E savy for them to set up their early voting, or mail in ballots online.

I don't think its democrats doing the work. Its really engaged and pissed off people wanting to ensure we don't become a Christian republic.

Old 11-08-2023, 08:00 AM

4,037 posts, read 3,673,076 times
I commend you for at least not crying voter fraud this time. But voting locations are open early and close late and are usually in multiple, ultra local locations. I have a hard time believing that people, barring injury or serious illness, are having a hard time finding 15 minutes in their day to vote. Eating dinner 15 minutes later is not a realistic excuse for someone who claims they want to vote.

Old 11-08-2023, 08:04 AM

19,163 posts, read 25,420,276 times
Here is an AP article on yesterday's poor performance--nationwide--by the GOP:

https://apnews.com/article/election-...e3fd8007d07eef

Old 11-08-2023, 08:22 AM

Quote:
I commend you for at least not crying voter fraud this time. But voting locations are open early and close late and are usually in multiple, ultra local locations. I have a hard time believing that people, barring injury or serious illness, are having a hard time finding 15 minutes in their day to vote. Eating dinner 15 minutes later is not a realistic excuse for someone who claims they want to vote.
This is the truth, people just don't show up that plan to. If 100 plan to go to a poll, at least 5 people (5%) will not show up (the actual number is probably much more). This also was an election where people are mostly voting for their party, and unknown candidates that they don't have a connection to. This is just human nature, and I can give a real life example, recently got married and was warned that 10% of the people who RSVP yes will not show up to your wedding, which I wound up being somewhat of a victim to.

Old 11-08-2023, 08:40 AM

2,677 posts, read 2,104,105 times
Quote:
OK but also anyone can just call the county election board and request the mail in ballot. They send it weeks in advance. It takes maybe 10 minutes to fill it out and either mail it or drop it off at the drop off boxes available in many public locations. Thus there is no pressure to actually do this and go to the polls on an Election day which is after all a work day.

We switched to mail in ballot after I was not able to vote on Presidential elections that were held shortly after hurricane Sandy. I was stuck in traffic on a NJT bus coming home from the office and came back home after polls closed. The trains were still not running at the time...

Old 11-08-2023, 08:52 AM

19,163 posts, read 25,420,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
OK but also anyone can just call the county election board and request the mail in ballot. They send it weeks in advance. It takes maybe 10 minutes to fill it out and either mail it or drop it off at the drop off boxes available in many public locations. Thus there is no pressure to actually do this and go to the polls on an Election day which is after all a work day.
That is all true, and it's also true that the R party was instrumental in the original push for mail-in ballots. Then, somewhere around Pandemic time, that same party demonized the mail-in ballot process, with the result that fewer of their loyal supporters actually voted.

Between that misstep, the push for depriving women of abortion access, and their hostility toward LGBTQ people, it seems that the R party just keeps shooting itself in the foot.

Last edited by Retriever; 11-08-2023 at 09:11 AM..

Old 11-08-2023, 09:18 AM

13,412 posts, read 28,782,303 times
In my opinion the Republican Party will continue to circle the drain until they shed some if not all of their lunatic fringe, people like Marjorie Taylor Greene and her ilk.

Old 11-08-2023, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
In my opinion the Republican Party will continue to circle the drain until they shed some if not all of their lunatic fringe, people like Marjorie Taylor Greene and her ilk.
These comments are dumb. Personally, shes a professional and doing a great job.

I'll rephrase this:

In my opinion the Democrat Party will continue to circle the drain until they shed some if not all of their lunatic fringe, people like Rashida Tlaib and her ilk.

Old 11-08-2023, 11:11 AM

51,030 posts, read 36,735,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Hate to say it, but more people who vote for Democrats, don't like Democrats than those who don't like repubs who don't like the repubs. Its just the lesser of two evils in their eyes especially when human rights are on the chopping board. It throws out any of their fiscal similarities or thoughts on international relations, if they skew that way. Also democrats tend to skew a significant younger audience, where its more E savy for them to set up their early voting, or mail in ballots online.

I don't think its democrats doing the work. Its really engaged and pissed off people wanting to ensure we don't become a Christian republic.

I agree. Case in point is the "Heritage Project" which is now apparently the blueprint for the next R presidential administration. It is practically a horse and buggy ride to yesteryear, with NO abortion including medication, and a stated goal of restoring the family unit as married man and woman with children.

The bible-thumping plays well for a small but vocal portion of the party, but they keep doubling down on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: