Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2023, 02:44 AM

31,944 posts, read 27,057,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
A little of both IMO. I'm a republican and not a RINO but I am sick to death of all republican politicians not listening and being horse's ass's!. Yes the Dems aren't great but and I mean this anyone backing trump I will vote against, it's that simple.
Exactly!

Republicans and win races and hold onto offices. NYC just had an upset in a local Bronx race where a GOP candidate unseated favored democrat. She did this by sticking to issues that mattered to district.

Ever since so called "moral majority" infected GOP it's been a race for them to legislate morality (or at least attempt to). While it gets GOP some votes and wins races it never lasts on a national level. You see this in how GOP has not been able to hold a decent majority in House for decades. On off chances it happens they act like eejits and come next election cycle democrats take over yet again.

GOP needs to stop trying to move this country back to 1923 or even 1823 and deal with things as they are. Rights for gays are here to stay regardless of how some feel. If it bothers you that much stop peeking out from behind net curtains and minding other people's business.

As it relates to women GOP needs to understand that sex is *NOT* going back to being chattel to be used and ordered about by men including baby making.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2023, 11:15 AM

5,173 posts, read 3,775,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Perhaps the Republican party--in general--will now realize that women--as a whole--do choose their candidates and their party affiliation at least partly as a result of a candidate's/party's position vis-a-vis the issue of abortion rights. And, it's not just in mostly Blue NJ. The election outcomes in "purple" VA and Ruby-Red KY and Ohio also reflect a strong turnout of women who were not pleased with attempts in those states to restrict their access to abortion.

A case-in-point in NJ would be "Ed the trucker" Durr, who had unseated NJ Senator Steve Sweeney two years ago. While it appears that his constituents weren't thrilled with his overall performance in the NJ Senate, his remark about "women need to keep their legs closed" undoubtedly drove many more women to the polls in order to vote against him, and Durr is now the loser.

Additionally, most younger voters display far more acceptance of LGBTQ people than the R party (in general) does. If the R party wants to continue to lose the support of younger voters of both genders--and the support of a broad spectrum of women voters--then they can continue their current anti-abortion policy and their anti-LGBTQ policies, which are clearly working against the R party. If they want to attract women and younger voters in general, they are going to have to ease-up in regard to--at least--these policies which repel many women and a whole lot of younger voters.
That's it. The Republicans seem to be dumb enough to run on an issue sure to lose them elections. They will do it again.

Old 11-10-2023, 10:10 PM

10,512 posts, read 7,042,290 times
As usual the media doesnt tell the story and Republicans are quiet about how they were beat terribly by being outraised. Democrats raised nearly $19 million as Republicans raised several hundred thousand for 120 seats. Dems funding mostly came from unions to spend our tax money. For example, Ed Durr raised $2,100 and the guy who beat had over $500,000 spent in that district and barely ousted him. The campaign and media ran the story it was on abortion, no there was half a million raised against him in small few towns.

Last edited by DannyHobkins; 11-10-2023 at 10:35 PM..

Old 11-11-2023, 02:22 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,689,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
As usual the media doesnt tell the story and Republicans are quiet about how they were beat terribly by being outraised. Democrats raised nearly $19 million as Republicans raised several hundred thousand for 120 seats. Dems funding mostly came from unions to spend our tax money. For example, Ed Durr raised $2,100 and the guy who beat had over $500,000 spent in that district and barely ousted him. The campaign and media ran the story it was on abortion, no there was half a million raised against him in small few towns.

Typical republican response , they lost for being out of touch with the public. Voters have had enough of the republican BS.

Old 11-11-2023, 02:59 AM

23,884 posts, read 33,621,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
This is the truth, people just don't show up that plan to. If 100 plan to go to a poll, at least 5 people (5%) will not show up (the actual number is probably much more). This also was an election where people are mostly voting for their party, and unknown candidates that they don't have a connection to. This is just human nature, and I can give a real life example, recently got married and was warned that 10% of the people who RSVP yes will not show up to your wedding, which I wound up being somewhat of a victim to.

I think the number of people who don't vote is higher. It happened to me this week. I planned to pick up my daughter who doesn't have a car, then we both vote. I didn't count on being sick as a dog. I ended up being dead to the world, so that cost 2 votes. Thankfully my hub had voted the day before, he was flying early Tuesday morning. I don't think my son voted because he didn't get home from work early enough. I'm kicking myself for not ordering mail in ballots. Our votes didn't matter in the end, but if you add up how many people had something similar, it could be pretty high.

My kids and I don't follow politics, I know I'm not happy with who is in office, so I planned to try to help change that. I also wanted to vote for the schools but that would not have mattered, there was no one to vote against the few people running.

Sorry about your wedding. Hopefully it didn't cost you too much money. You should update your wedding thread when you have time.

Last edited by Roselvr; 11-11-2023 at 04:16 AM..

Old 11-11-2023, 07:28 AM

5,173 posts, read 3,775,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Typical republican response , they lost for being out of touch with the public. Voters have had enough of the republican BS.
By now I would think voters are sick of the BS from both parties. Or should I say The Party?

Old 11-11-2023, 07:54 AM

5,849 posts, read 2,967,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I'd wager VA isn't Purple anymore. It is a pretty solidly Blue state now.

But I agree with everything you have stated. The party is behind the times. I am 26 and >90% of people my age vote Blue, whether they are fiscally conservative or not due to their stance on abortion, gay rights, Gaza etc.
In 26 years this country will be 90% gay I suppose.
Mission accomplished.

Old 11-11-2023, 08:25 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,758,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I think the number of people who don't vote is higher. It happened to me this week. I planned to pick up my daughter who doesn't have a car, then we both vote. I didn't count on being sick as a dog. I ended up being dead to the world, so that cost 2 votes. Thankfully my hub had voted the day before, he was flying early Tuesday morning. I don't think my son voted because he didn't get home from work early enough. I'm kicking myself for not ordering mail in ballots. Our votes didn't matter in the end, but if you add up how many people had something similar, it could be pretty high.

My kids and I don't follow politics, I know I'm not happy with who is in office, so I planned to try to help change that. I also wanted to vote for the schools but that would not have mattered, there was no one to vote against the few people running.

Sorry about your wedding. Hopefully it didn't cost you too much money. You should update your wedding thread when you have time.
I do early voting every time now. Why leave anything to chance? Make it convenient to work within your schedule and life, not the other way around. You also don’t deal with lines like you have on Election Day as well.

Old 11-11-2023, 05:06 PM

4,035 posts, read 3,652,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
I do early voting every time now. Why leave anything to chance? Make it convenient to work within your schedule and life, not the other way around. You also don’t deal with lines like you have on Election Day as well.

I have two young kids who were with me in the booth. I want them to be exposed to the process. They thought it was cool. My immigrant parents didn’t become citizens until I was already a teenager so I didn’t really experience that.

Old 11-12-2023, 01:19 AM

23,884 posts, read 33,621,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post

I think that's what I'll try to shoot for next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: