Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2023, 07:21 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times

Advertisements

Love Congestion Pricing Idea.

However, like most Transportation Planners, the valid concerns relative to NJ are:

1. NJ Transit has some of the worst OTP, and reliability for a Commuter Rail system in the Northeast. When things go wrong, it gets bad. Especially through the Hudson Tunnel. How will they increase capacity with being quite literally at their limits? Where is the funding to help the very struggling NJT? It seems almost criminal they don’t get a slice of congestion pricing revenue or come up with their own congestion pricing equivalent.

2. Busses are near capacity and there us a driver shortage. If we plan to add more busses, what is the game plan here?

3. Traffic around the GWB and Outerbridge will definitely increase. Has this even been taken into consideration? I see 0 physical reports on this.

Super sloppy when it comes to west of the hudson river.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2023, 11:01 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,090,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
NJT is horrible too, however.
No it is not. Most of the time NJT trains run well. Most of the problems seems to happen on the NJT line owned by Amtrak.

It is also a lot safer than driving. It turns out that 112 people were killed in NYC in the first half of 2023:
https://patch.com/new-york/new-york-...alf-2023-study

That translates to a person dying on the road every other day or even more frequently. Meanwhile, the last non suicide fatality on NJT train was in 2016...

Old 12-15-2023, 06:34 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,093,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
NJT is horrible too, however.
When I commuted to the city for two years, I thought it was great. At least my line was rarely late or problematic. It was a pleasant commute; better than any other commute I've ever had in my life. I would rather commute by train for 1.5 hours than sit in traffic for 30 mins. I got more reading and learning done, napped, had breakfast, and listened to music/podcasts, I sold my commuter car and came out ahead cost-wise compared to a monthly pass on NJT. One less car to fuel, insure, and maintain. The pass was valid on weekends; so I always had a destination to go to if I wanted to.

The only complaint that others commuting by train had was parking at the various train stations. I was fortunate, the train station is walking distance.

I will admit tho... this is probably going back 10 years ago by now.

Old 12-15-2023, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
When I commuted to the city for two years, I thought it was great. At least my line was rarely late or problematic. It was a pleasant commute; better than any other commute I've ever had in my life. I would rather commute by train for 1.5 hours than sit in traffic for 30 mins. I got more reading and learning done, napped, had breakfast, and listened to music/podcasts, I sold my commuter car and came out ahead cost-wise compared to a monthly pass on NJT. One less car to fuel, insure, and maintain. The pass was valid on weekends; so I always had a destination to go to if I wanted to.

The only complaint that others commuting by train had was parking at the various train stations. I was fortunate, the train station is walking distance.

I will admit tho... this is probably going back 10 years ago by now.
Yeah its a lot worse than 10 Years ago. 10 years ago NJT was amazing. Now its OTP, Funding and Reliability are severely declining. The Busses are great, not so much the rail.

But the problem with this post is that, now in 2023, you have to have a car in NJ because the areas where you don’t need a car are so expensive it is in the stratosphere. So you have to juggle the Bus/Rail pass, with having a car.

I hope NJT Rail can make a comeback. But the future scares me as pandemic funding expires soon and people are enraged atm with what could happen. The waters are not calm over here.

Old 12-15-2023, 07:52 AM

88,532 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Yeah its a lot worse than 10 Years ago. 10 years ago NJT was amazing. Now its OTP, Funding and Reliability are severely declining. The Busses are great, not so much the rail.

But the problem with this post is that, now in 2023, you have to have a car in NJ because the areas where you don’t need a car are so expensive it is in the stratosphere. So you have to juggle the Bus/Rail pass, with having a car.

I hope NJT Rail can make a comeback. But the future scares me as pandemic funding expires soon and people are enraged atm with what could happen. The waters are not calm over here.
I take the NJCL in several times a month. It runs well. Frequent service, usually on time, same as my experience for decades on the Bergen/Main. Not that NJT doesn't have issues at all, but it's not as terrible as some make it out to be.

Old 12-15-2023, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I take the NJCL in several times a month. It runs well. Frequent service, usually on time, same as my experience for decades on the Bergen/Main. Not that NJT doesn't have issues at all, but it's not as terrible as some make it out to be.
Its not awful for a chunk of the state, but it definitely is behind other Commuter Rail networks like the MTA's LIRR and MetroNorth; even the MBTA Commuter Rail has better measures.

NJT runs good in a few wealthier parts of the state, but the vast majority of New Jerseyans? Not so much.

I would hate to be on the NJT Executive Board atm. 2024 not looking great at an operational standpoint.

Old 12-15-2023, 01:23 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,204,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
No it is not. Most of the time NJT trains run well. Most of the problems seems to happen on the NJT line owned by Amtrak.
"Most" meaning better than 50% of the time, sure.

It still sucks. I've been stuck in a packed Penn Station looking at a board full of STANDBY turning to CANCELLED and having to figure another way home far too often for that to be anything but true.

Old 12-15-2023, 01:40 PM

19,036 posts, read 13,948,655 times
I can’t revolve my life around public transit. I’m just not built that way. Too many reasons to count.

In my life, the only time I regularly used it was in high school. While I occasionally do so, it is only in the rare occasions where doing so is actually more convenient, which are few and far between.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 12-15-2023, 04:08 PM

31,899 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Its not awful for a chunk of the state, but it definitely is behind other Commuter Rail networks like the MTA's LIRR and MetroNorth; even the MBTA Commuter Rail has better measures.

NJT runs good in a few wealthier parts of the state, but the vast majority of New Jerseyans? Not so much.

I would hate to be on the NJT Executive Board atm. 2024 not looking great at an operational standpoint.
Sad thing is NJ lost many commuter rail routes when private RRs either ceased service for various reasons and or things weren't taken up by NJT when it was created.

Former Erie service to Nutley is long gone and likely to return never no more. One can take jitney bus service to Delawanna, but still it's not quite the same IMHO.

https://www.nutleyhistoricalsociety....-Railroad.html

Old 12-19-2023, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Sad thing is NJ lost many commuter rail routes when private RRs either ceased service for various reasons and or things weren't taken up by NJT when it was created.

Former Erie service to Nutley is long gone and likely to return never no more. One can take jitney bus service to Delawanna, but still it's not quite the same IMHO.

https://www.nutleyhistoricalsociety....-Railroad.html
ik its so sad. I say the same thing about the Bergenfield/Dumont/Creskill and Hudson Waterfront too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey