Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2023, 03:07 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,961,756 times

Advertisements

My guess is there will be a huge push by many in NJ, Conn and Westchester to WFH.

This and or those who must travel into city will seek to have those costs covered by increasing their rates and or wanting a raise.

https://gothamist.com/news/changes-t...pricing-nyc-nj
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2023, 07:58 PM

4,028 posts, read 3,636,180 times
As long as my company continues to reimburse me for mileage, tolls, and parking, I will continue to drive in.

Old 12-09-2023, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
As long as my company continues to reimburse me for mileage, tolls, and parking, I will continue to drive in.
This is going to cause an effing huge flow of traffic north to use GWB to get in or out of Manhattan.

OTOH traffic to and from Holland and Lincoln should lighten, so there's good in everything if you but look.

Old 12-09-2023, 10:02 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,752,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
This is going to cause an effing huge flow of traffic north to use GWB to get in or out of Manhattan.

OTOH traffic to and from Holland and Lincoln should lighten, so there's good in everything if you but look.
Please explain how. I was thinking it would be the opposite. Lincoln and Holland Tunnel drivers get a $5 credit, but GWB drivers do not. GWB drivers still pay congestion pricing though because once they enter the congestion pricing area, they get charged, even if that entry point is from upper Manhattan.

I suppose that is for drivers whose ultimate destination is within the congestion pricing zone. But maybe you are referencing drivers whose destination is not there but would have normally passed through it to get to their destination and that they may now try a different route.

I wonder what the balance will be between the two. That determines how traffic changes at each crossing. Are more people parking in the congestion zone on a daily basis, or are more people passing through it to park somewhere else?

Old 12-10-2023, 09:43 AM

1,334 posts, read 2,993,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Spoken like a true spineless corporate puppet.

Old 12-10-2023, 11:39 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
Spoken like a true spineless corporate puppet.
Not objecting to tolls your employer is paying doesn't make you a 'spineless corporate puppet'. It just makes you someone with little stake in the issue.

Old 12-10-2023, 04:28 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
I don't drive, so this won't change how I get into or out of the city.

But hopefully it will result in less congestion at the tunnels and many blocks worth of streets in Manhattan and Jersey City.

Hopefully it will result in fewer motorists using our neighborhoods to attempt "shortcuts" (hint: it doesn't work) to the tunnels. And hopefully fewer of them will drive recklessly, harming our neighbors.

Hopefully it will result in abandoning a stupid $10billion plan to widen the 78 Turnpike extension, and those funds be directed to more impactful projects.

Old 12-10-2023, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
Please explain how. I was thinking it would be the opposite. Lincoln and Holland Tunnel drivers get a $5 credit, but GWB drivers do not. GWB drivers still pay congestion pricing though because once they enter the congestion pricing area, they get charged, even if that entry point is from upper Manhattan.

I suppose that is for drivers whose ultimate destination is within the congestion pricing zone. But maybe you are referencing drivers whose destination is not there but would have normally passed through it to get to their destination and that they may now try a different route.

I wonder what the balance will be between the two. That determines how traffic changes at each crossing. Are more people parking in the congestion zone on a daily basis, or are more people passing through it to park somewhere else?
Obviously was speaking about those who will have to pass through congestion pricing zone on way to another destination. Then of course there are those who will find their destination well within zone.

Drivers going to Queens (and by extension Long Island), and Brooklyn who take tunnels and took Canal or whatever cross street to reach East River crossings will get hit if they drive through congestion toll zone. Way around this will be going north to GWB or another route and or via SIE to VNB into Brooklyn.

If you're going into city to see a show or something Lincoln Center is one of few spaces not in congestion toll zone, but how are you going to get there without going through the zone? Virtually all Broadway and other such places are well within congestion pricing zone including Madison Square Garden.

Old 12-10-2023, 06:09 PM

4,180 posts, read 5,060,271 times
Quote:
“Even Governor Hochul said the Congestion Tax is just a plan to rescue the MTA from years of billion dollar budget holes and mismanagement"... “The MTA is a hot mess and just desperate for cash.”
https://www.governing.com/transporta...inary-approval

Old 12-10-2023, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
Let's see if Albany repeals or allows to expire any of the many taxes, fees and surcharges imposed by MTA to raid people's back pockets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey