Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2024, 01:41 PM

24 posts, read 18,376 times

Advertisements

Just an update (I haven’t vanished).
My Grandson has now had two further offers, one from New York but I’m not sure about the other.
The closing date for the offers & acceptance is mid February.
This weekend he has another “showcased” soccer match. The match is fully recorded & sent via an agent to teams across America.
So that’s where we’re at.

I wish you all well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2024, 02:59 PM

76 posts, read 107,898 times
It sounds like your grandson is a great athlete. To attract attention from 3 college coaches in the US is a great accomplishment. As pointed out earlier, US colleges offer money to athletes in return for playing a sport. The amount of money (scholarship) varies depending on ability and budget available.

Athletic divisions in the US are split into three, governed by the NCAA: Division 1, Division 2 and Division 3. Within the NCAA I believe that scholarships are only given out by Division 1 and 2 colleges. Two other governing bodies exist for college sports: NAIA and the NJCAA. The NJCAA handles junior colleges, which is what I think your grandson is looking at.

If your grandson matriculates to a junior/community college, he will be able to attend for 2 years. A normal bachelors degree in the US takes 4 years. So he will need to transfer after 2 years to complete a degree. I assume that he'll want to transfer to a full 4 year college (NCAA division). Note that the NCAA has a limit on how many years an athlete can play -- its usually 5 years total.

What are the names of the other colleges recruiting him? Are any of them 4 year colleges?

Old 03-23-2024, 09:32 AM

192 posts, read 219,554 times
Default Be aware

Sounds a little skeptical to me. Sussex is a very small community college in a rural area.
Community colleges are usually two years and most do not offer what you are stating.

To offer something international like that would be a very rare thing.

I think you need to do your research, something does not sound right!!!

Old 03-23-2024, 07:29 PM

357 posts, read 285,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akbuk View Post
Now that rings a bell.
I know there was talk of a two year term & the possibility of extending to four.
please be aware, if we are speaking of a two-year community college, there is no such thing as "the possibility of extending it to four." they do not offer, nor are they accredited to award anything higher than a two year associate's degree.
i would urge your grandson to look at four year colleges / universities.

Old 03-24-2024, 06:12 AM

5,153 posts, read 3,763,782 times
So we talking about a full scholarship to a two year community college to play a secondary sport?

Old 03-24-2024, 03:25 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrrek View Post
Sounds a little skeptical to me. Sussex is a very small community college in a rural area.
Community colleges are usually two years and most do not offer what you are stating.

To offer something international like that would be a very rare thing.

I think you need to do your research, something does not sound right!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
So we talking about a full scholarship to a two year community college to play a secondary sport?
Do you both think you're so smart that no one else brought this up earlier?

Yup, Sussex County College does indeed offer scholarships to foreign students for soccer. I posted the link.

Old 03-24-2024, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Do you both think you're so smart that no one else brought this up earlier?

Yup, Sussex County College does indeed offer scholarships to foreign students for soccer. I posted the link.

Yeah I read it. Tell you the truth that kid will be bored to tears in a NY minute up there. Sussex is a nice quiet place to buy a house for the family not much for a 20 year old guy. Be nice.

Old 03-28-2024, 01:31 PM

23,564 posts, read 17,237,701 times
Northwest NJ has its own weather, snow storms tend to catch the upper northwest section of the state. Black bear, rattle snakes, copper heads and coyotes abound. Great fishing opportunities. Hike the legendary Appalachian trail. The Delaware river! Stokes state forest is another must visit with High Point, the highest elevation in NJ.

Deer hunting a popular sport.

Plenty of gray squirrels here, our grays were intro'd to England and now have a bounty on their heads, as they are competing with your red squirrels, which are not the same as our red squirrels.

Sussex county is a naturalist's delight!

Glaciers covered that area and left it rock strewn and hilly with shallow lakes. Newton is a nice old classic town, town square, built on a hill, but just a mile down the road to the north, are the blight of malls and car dealers along rt 206. RT 23 east, out of Newton takes you toward NYC. RT 206 runs the length of the state.

Check out Monmouth college or Rowan 4 year colleges, Somerset county college in west central NJ is a two year school many attend and transfer to Rutgers. No sports at community colleges but the cost might be acceptable w/o a scholarship. Many now go to a 2 year college for cost savings and then transfer. Some 4 year colleges will accept courses taken at a two year college, some may not accept credits earned in some curriculums.

Old 03-28-2024, 01:44 PM

10,483 posts, read 7,010,515 times
I believe most colleges around the world are 3 years, and 2/3rds the credits for a bachelors. Maybe should finish school in UK then come here for work. He could get his Masters degree there with the same effort it takes for bachelors in the US.

Old 03-28-2024, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Northwest NJ has its own weather, snow storms tend to catch the upper northwest section of the state. Black bear, rattle snakes, copper heads and coyotes abound. Great fishing opportunities. Hike the legendary Appalachian trail. The Delaware river! Stokes state forest is another must visit with High Point, the highest elevation in NJ.

Deer hunting a popular sport.

Plenty of gray squirrels here, our grays were intro'd to England and now have a bounty on their heads, as they are competing with your red squirrels, which are not the same as our red squirrels.

Sussex county is a naturalist's delight!

Glaciers covered that area and left it rock strewn and hilly with shallow lakes. Newton is a nice old classic town, town square, built on a hill, but just a mile down the road to the north, are the blight of malls and car dealers along rt 206. RT 23 east, out of Newton takes you toward NYC. RT 206 runs the length of the state.

Check out Monmouth college or Rowan 4 year colleges, Somerset county college in west central NJ is a two year school many attend and transfer to Rutgers. No sports at community colleges but the cost might be acceptable w/o a scholarship. Many now go to a 2 year college for cost savings and then transfer. Some 4 year colleges will accept courses taken at a two year college, some may not accept credits earned in some curriculums.

I think the guy is going to try for that school because of the scholarship. Not that the quality of the soccer is that great in the schools you mentioned but Sussex County plays Floatsom and Jetsum. The football in England for 13 year olds is better than JC ball over here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey