Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2024, 05:19 PM

24 posts, read 17,843 times

Advertisements

Just to introduce myself, my name is Wayne....British (English to the core). I’ve been kind of surfing this site for a few weeks back, why? Well I’ll tell you more of the details at some stage but it involves my 18 year old Grandson moving to New Jersey in the near future.
About me:
I’m part of what my Government & other Governments calls, “the ageing population”, I’m 71, been there done that most of my life.
Skill wise, I was a fully qualified gas/petroleum fitter.
Family? I got married at sixteen & guess what? We’re still together, along with our four kids (still act like kids at times?
My name on here is Akbuk. That name comes from a spectacular village/town in Turkey. By luck I managed to retire at the age of 54, so we hoofed it out to Turkey and built a villa on the sea front. Why did we leave after nine years? Did I mention we’ve got four kids lol They’re all over their 40s but lost if Mom isn’t on tap.

Anyway, that’s it from me at the moment but I intend to come back with why I here & there’s some really interesting threads on here, which in all honesty can/does relate to all of us.

I bid you all a Goodnight, along with a Happy & Prosperous New Year.

Ps. I live in the UK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2024, 11:58 AM

Part two:

One of my Grandson's is an Academy football player (soccer) here in England. He's listed along with thousands of other youngsters worldwide where clubs/collages view a players skills & if good enough, offers come in. He's had an offer from a collage somewhere in New Jersey. The last I heard he was excited over it, he's actually (parents present) had a facetime call with the collage coach.

I know the value of forums, hence me looking on this one. I also know the value of what works in your country of origin, doesnt always work abroad (even more so this day & age).
So, my idea is, give him a few verbal tips.
BUT my own interests are starting to take over, I haven't commented on any topic yet but I'm sure that'll happen.......go easy on me folks if I say the wrong thing.

Old 01-04-2024, 12:06 PM

443 posts, read 316,923 times
What college is it?

Old 01-04-2024, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NjDevils3027 View Post
What college is it?
At this moment I'm not 100% sure but I did hear the name Sussex College.
I have to be a bit careful what I say, the youngsters today sometimes take advice as interference.
I get most of the info from his Mother (my daughter), they live 40 miles away but I usually see her Sundays.

I'm proud of the lad & the fact that he's up for it. For me, I'll be gutted when he's goes. To the lad himself I say, "what a golden opportunity" & to be fair it is.

Last edited by Akbuk; 01-04-2024 at 04:11 PM..

Old 01-05-2024, 05:45 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
It will definitely be a culture shock coming to rural NJ from the UK. But nothing that one can't manage.

I am 26, NJ is a great state for young people. Expensive and fast paced, a bit crazy, but good nonetheless.

However- is Sussex College correct? That's a public two year school.

Last edited by masssachoicetts; 01-05-2024 at 07:01 AM..

Old 01-05-2024, 06:48 AM

76 posts, read 106,928 times
Are you sure the name is correct? There is a county in NJ with the name "Sussex", and it has a community college (Sussex County Community College).

Community colleges in the US are 2 year programs, leading to an associates degree. For the top players, scholarships are given out (usually for 4 year degree).

Old 01-05-2024, 07:31 AM

19,114 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjack2000 View Post
Are you sure the name is correct? There is a county in NJ with the name "Sussex", and it has a community college (Sussex County Community College).

Community colleges in the US are 2 year programs, leading to an associates degree. For the top players, scholarships are given out (usually for 4 year degree).
zjack beat me to it!
I'm sure that the terminology differs on the other side of the pond, but the OP should be aware that our Community Colleges are two-year institutions that require students to transfer to a 4 year college for two additional years if they want to earn a Bachelor's Degree. This is actually an economical way to earn one's Bachelor's Degree, but he should be aware that it is only a 2-year school.

I hope that the OP and his Grandson are aware that these Community Colleges do not have dormitories, so students are essentially on their own if they need housing. This might be somewhat daunting for someone who is newly-arrived in The US.

https://www.sussex.edu/

Old 01-05-2024, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
It will definitely be a culture shock coming to rural NJ from the UK. But nothing that one can't manage.

I am 26, NJ is a great state for young people. Expensive and fast paced, a bit crazy, but good nonetheless.

However- is Sussex College correct? That's a public two year school.
Thanks for the info.
From what I have gathered, accommodation & food is all part of “the package”. He’s actually dealing with an agent out there. No doubt the bank of Mom & Dad will be playing it’s part.

The lad has his head screwed on but sometimes like all of us, it gets cross threaded

Old 01-05-2024, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjack2000 View Post

Now that rings a bell.
I know there was talk of a two year term & the possibility of extending to four.
My problem is, I only get scraps from my daughter, she’s not into football.
I’ll be pushing for more details from her.

I’ve no doubt it’ll be a culture shock but the young seem to adapt easier than the likes of me. Nine years we lived in Turkey & I still never got all their culture on the way out (mind you, some I didn’t want

Old 01-05-2024, 09:16 AM

19,114 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akbuk View Post
From what I have gathered, accommodation & food is all part of “the package”.
I hope that his parents get that detail in writing before agreeing to anything. In view of the fact that the college doesn't have dormitories, this would mean that his "agent" is securing housing for him... hopefully w/in walking distance from the campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey