Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2024, 03:10 PM

10,435 posts, read 6,964,415 times

Advertisements

Where are all the single family homes and new developments? Everywhere you look its overpriced 'luxury condos', or townhomes. Every wonder why? The horrible court ruling of Mt. Laurel Doctrine that been ignored or had its rules bent mostly for the last 40 years. The Murphy Administration found a way to profit off of it, and started enforcing back in 2018.

Welcome to Murphy's New Jersey. Its written in black and white ink, of Murphys 2050 agenda. High-Density housing only, no more cars in 2050 (including electric), state owned/managed utilities, and public transportation for all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2024, 07:18 PM

161 posts, read 129,156 times
We have a housing crisis with a staggering lack of units... only the wealthy can buy now in many parts of NJ. Even high end professionals are locked out in many cases.

This is a toxic situation and we need to build aggressively so that good people can afford to live in NJ.

I am fortunate to own in an expensive community with mandated affordable units and those neighbors are fine. Maybe they are daycare teachers, trade workers, or deliver for USPS.

I am happy to have more building in my town so decent people can be my neighbors. What we have now is a recipe for social unrest and the eventual unravelling of NJ because we lock out all but the rich.

NIMBYism has ugly motives, no matter how hard people try to dance around them. It also ends in self-defeat when school enrollments drop, business leave, and the town withers away. We can do better.

Old 03-20-2024, 07:39 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Where are all the single family homes and new developments? Everywhere you look its overpriced 'luxury condos', or townhomes. Every wonder why? The horrible court ruling of Mt. Laurel Doctrine that been ignored or had its rules bent mostly for the last 40 years. The Murphy Administration found a way to profit off of it, and started enforcing back in 2018.

Welcome to Murphy's New Jersey. Its written in black and white ink, of Murphys 2050 agenda. High-Density housing only, no more cars in 2050 (including electric), state owned/managed utilities, and public transportation for all.
You only have to look across water to Staten Island to see what "affordable" housing gets you; streets and streets of nothing but townhouses. That and where single family home once existed lot will be crammed with two or several townhouses.

Soon whole character of a street or area changes from nice quiet suburban to something quite urban and all that latter brings with it.

Old 03-21-2024, 09:45 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,089,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
You only have to look across water to Staten Island to see what "affordable" housing gets you; streets and streets of nothing but townhouses. That and where single family home once existed lot will be crammed with two or several townhouses.

Soon whole character of a street or area changes from nice quiet suburban to something quite urban and all that latter brings with it.
I think the one essential question we need to ask is whether the new law increases the number of affordable units mandate for each town. Because everything else that I read about this law is basically tinkering with how the affordable housing is being administered. No huge change.

So does anyone know if there is a substantial increase in the affordable housing quota?

I am in favor of a reasonable affordable housing mandate. I do not mind seeing a few small, usually three stories, apartment buildings built in almost every suburban town. Those apartment building are noticeable but they have not so far drastically altered the nature of the towns.

I do believe that we need more affordable housing units. At the current prices, I am afraid our kids will not be able to even afford to rent a studio apartment when they graduate college(hopefully) and start their career. I would prefer that they don't continue living with us after college for too long.

I think the quota of affordable units can be increased a little bit, maybe by 20% without turning suburbs into the cities. Increasing the quota beyond that risk completely changing the character of suburban towns. Equally as importantly, suburban towns do not have the infrastructure, such as water, sewer, transportation, schools to support expanding population...

Old 03-21-2024, 12:03 PM

3,183 posts, read 1,654,323 times
Typical lazy irresponsible and fake progressive legislation to push for inclusivity when it's nothing more than a way to buy votes to disrupt towns from turning into red districts. It won't make much difference in NJ because majority of the towns don't have the resources or budget to run larger town services without additional property taxes or state funds.

What good is putting affordable housing in towns that are remotely affordable and too far to be convenient for low income folks to survive unless the county or town has assistance programs.

Old 03-21-2024, 01:08 PM

7,343 posts, read 3,517,785 times
i sure hope they put lots of high density housing in Red Bank, Rumson, Franklin Lakes, Saddle River, etc. Time for the NIMBYS to live amongst the Hudson and Essex County crew

Old 03-21-2024, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
i sure hope they put lots of high density housing in Red Bank, Rumson, Franklin Lakes, Saddle River, etc. Time for the NIMBYS to live amongst the Hudson and Essex County crew
Franklin Lakes in on the way to having a ton of new housing with good part "affordable".

https://www.northjersey.com/story/ne...r/70141651007/

Once (not if) Murphy signs this bit into law look to developers like S. Hekemian Group (behind affordable housing scheme at former Cigna property in Franklin Lakes) to become more aggressive. If people thought developers were strong using just Mount Laurel, just wait...

Old 03-21-2024, 02:15 PM

Done deal!

https://www.northjersey.com/story/ne...l/73038189007/

Old 03-21-2024, 02:21 PM

10,435 posts, read 6,964,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
This is very bad news.

Old 03-21-2024, 02:30 PM

Meanwhile over in Millburn things are getting hot!

My guess is poor little Millburn will be made an example of out of gate with this new law.

https://gothamist.com/news/a-wealthy...ould-be-costly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey