Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 02:32 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
This is very bad news.
What did you expect?

Same thing is going on all over New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts and really across the country.

Call it what you will but often so called "affordable" housing translates into busting suburbs or other nice areas. This includes pretty much banning new construction of single family homes.

Obama started it on federal level, but DT but a stop to it; now Biden has it back on track. Pile on nearly every area with state or local democrat majority in power is bent on doing same.

Across North River in Manhattan people are moaning that they just don't want affordable or "low income" housing out in Brooklyn, Queens, or the Bronx, but want it built in rich heartland of Manhattan (south of Harlem).

Last edited by BugsyPal; 03-21-2024 at 02:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2024, 02:52 PM

50,723 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Typical lazy irresponsible and fake progressive legislation to push for inclusivity when it's nothing more than a way to buy votes to disrupt towns from turning into red districts. It won't make much difference in NJ because majority of the towns don't have the resources or budget to run larger town services without additional property taxes or state funds.

What good is putting affordable housing in towns that are remotely affordable and too far to be convenient for low income folks to survive unless the county or town has assistance programs.

No one on assistance programs would be able to afford affordable housing, as they do not accept section 8 and are not subsidized. If they don't have the income to pay the rent comfortably they won't be selected. But it is not for people on welfare, SNAP, etc.

I don't think it's a way to buy votes, nor does it require any changes to the town, nor does it require high density housing. Like I said, in Ocean City they built 5 duplexes and put them in various neighborhoods, for a total of 10 rental units, and that is enough to satisfy the mandate.

Old 03-21-2024, 03:13 PM

10,435 posts, read 6,964,415 times
I'm following local mayors on Twitter. The responses across the board unanimous by NJ mayors.

"The bill lines the pockets of developers and doesn't move the need for affordability" ,"Increasing property taxes, does not make affordability", "Lie and scheme to move money to developers under the guise of affordability".

Old 03-21-2024, 03:21 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Quote:
I'm following local mayors on Twitter. The responses across the board unanimous by NJ mayors.

"The bill lines the pockets of developers and doesn't move the need for affordability" ,"Increasing property taxes, does not make affordability", "Lie and scheme to move money to developers under the guise of affordability".
Like I said, developers are going to ride roughshod over local government. If towns or areas don't approve their plans they can now turn to courts and that will be that.

Old 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Like I said, developers are going to ride roughshod over local government. If towns or areas don't approve their plans they can now turn to courts and that will be that.
I've been watching it play out in the town next to mine of the past 1+ years (which is right down the street). A developer bought up small pieces of wetland which primarily served as barriers between neighborhoods, roads, businesses and added nature to the town. Were not talking a lot of land, maybe +/5 acres in one spot, a few acres 1/4 mile up the road etc. The developer wants to cram as many low-income high-density living apartments, between all these small plots of land that are wetlands, which makes zero sense atheistically and would significantly increase the population of the town.

The town has been vehemently against it, and the developer brought in the state to fight the battle for the them.

Old 03-22-2024, 08:44 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,631,840 times
Quote:
I've been watching it play out in the town next to mine of the past 1+ years (which is right down the street). A developer bought up small pieces of wetland which primarily served as barriers between neighborhoods, roads, businesses and added nature to the town. Were not talking a lot of land, maybe +/5 acres in one spot, a few acres 1/4 mile up the road etc. The developer wants to cram as many low-income high-density living apartments, between all these small plots of land that are wetlands, which makes zero sense atheistically and would significantly increase the population of the town.

The town has been vehemently against it, and the developer brought in the state to fight the battle for the them.
How is this possible? Isn’t everyone leaving NJ?

Old 03-22-2024, 09:06 AM

19,119 posts, read 25,313,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Yes, "everyone" is leaving NJ... according to certain politically propagandistic people.

In reality, developers continue to build apartment and condo complexes on every available piece of property in NJ, and--despite the extortionate rents/purchase prices--these complexes are filled very soon after completion.

Old 03-22-2024, 09:29 AM

445 posts, read 317,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Plenty are leaving and plenty are moving in. Even more will be migrating in from NYC plus we get a lot of immigrants of the legal and illegal kind. Keep developing multi-families and all of North and Central Jersey will look like Queens within our lifetimes.

Old 03-22-2024, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Yes, "everyone" is leaving NJ... according to certain politically propagandistic people.

In reality, developers continue to build apartment and condo complexes on every available piece of property in NJ, and--despite the extortionate rents/purchase prices--these complexes are filled very soon after completion.
Natives of New Jersey are leaving. The state is being backfilled by illegals, New Yorkers and H1B Indians.

Old 03-22-2024, 05:31 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,275,078 times
The problem with this is that the developers are allowed to build huge complexes and only 20% need to be "affordable". This doesn't help make NJ a more affordable place to live.

I filled out an application for a unit in Warren. There are 61 "affordable" units being built. My lottery number is 20,723 and there were a total of 29,000+ applications. For 61 units.

Meanwhile, 244 units of the 305 total will be market rate. Traffic is already a nightmare. Berkeley Heights sewer system is going to handle these new units, but every time we get heavy rains, the township pleads with people to not flush their toilets because the aging sewer can't handle the extra water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey