Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2024, 05:52 PM

16,912 posts, read 10,613,577 times

Advertisements

My number never came up and I never even had to report. If you have a high number it’s less likely.
Moderators for US and World Forums
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2024, 07:23 AM

163 posts, read 93,314 times
My employer does not pay for jury duty. I am not going to try to get excused. I am 41 and have never been summoned before. I understand civic duty. The HR manager at my company will give me a letter that attests that I do not get paid for jury duty. I will say that if it is a short trial that lasts a few days, or even a week, I am fine with serving. I can take it out of my PTO if need be. But if it is going to be a long trial that lasts more than a week, it will cause financial hardship. I think that way at least I come across as reasonable and not that I am trying to game the system and get out of serving. On my previous post, people have said it is not at all hard to be excused if you just pay attention to the questions asked. I think statistically it is much more likely I al dismissed after one day than end up on a jury anyway. Do you think my strategy is good?

Old 05-01-2024, 07:33 AM

10,516 posts, read 7,056,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJoseph42286 View Post
My employer does not pay for jury duty. I am not going to try to get excused. I am 41 and have never been summoned before. I understand civic duty. The HR manager at my company will give me a letter that attests that I do not get paid for jury duty. I will say that if it is a short trial that lasts a few days, or even a week, I am fine with serving. I can take it out of my PTO if need be. But if it is going to be a long trial that lasts more than a week, it will cause financial hardship. I think that way at least I come across as reasonable and not that I am trying to game the system and get out of serving. On my previous post, people have said it is not at all hard to be excused if you just pay attention to the questions asked. I think statistically it is much more likely I al dismissed after one day than end up on a jury anyway. Do you think my strategy is good?
You could use that as an excuse, or just say something so bizarre that you get out of it. You might get lucky and dismissed before you're supposed to go. A couple years ago, I got a summons for ~30 weeks worth of jury service (1 day a week) in Trenton which for me was an hour and half drive. I just followed the rules, signed up and about a week before my first day I received a letter that I was dismissed and free from NJ Jury service for something like 5 years. I have a theory they might have looked at my social media and saw some bias :P

Old 05-01-2024, 07:59 AM

163 posts, read 93,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
You could use that as an excuse, or just say something so bizarre that you get out of it. You might get lucky and dismissed before you're supposed to go. A couple years ago, I got a summons for ~30 weeks worth of jury service (1 day a week) in Trenton which for me was an hour and half drive. I just followed the rules, signed up and about a week before my first day I received a letter that I was dismissed and free from NJ Jury service for something like 5 years. I have a theory they might have looked at my social media and saw some bias :P
Saying something bizarre would not be a good move if it is only a trial that is expected to last for a few days. I thought if you were dismissed, you go back to the jury pool and could then get picked for a longer trial.

Old 05-01-2024, 12:25 PM

133 posts, read 138,734 times
I've been called up several times but my wife has never ever gotten summoned her whole life.

Old 05-02-2024, 11:25 AM

5,174 posts, read 3,782,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peoj View Post
I've been called up several times but my wife has never ever gotten summoned her whole life.

Same here. Isn't that strange?

Old 05-02-2024, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJoseph42286 View Post
Saying something bizarre would not be a good move if it is only a trial that is expected to last for a few days. I thought if you were dismissed, you go back to the jury pool and could then get picked for a longer trial.
Any time I was picked for the pool and rejected my time of service was done.

Old 05-02-2024, 11:32 AM

45,501 posts, read 60,734,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peoj View Post
Same here. I get called every two years but Mrs. NBP never has been.

I've only had to sit on one, a civil malpractice case, and really shouldn't have since I knew the doctor accused and his wife. I asked the Judge later why he allowed me on it and he just said that he knew it would **** me off.

Other than that I am always excused during the first round of voir dire because I almost always know at least one of the law enforcement officers, the attorneys or the defendant.

Since I turn 70 this year I am now exempt after my birthday.

Old 05-02-2024, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Same here. I get called every two years but Mrs. NBP never has been.

I've only had to sit on one, a civil malpractice case, and really shouldn't have since I knew the doctor accused and his wife. I asked the Judge later why he allowed me on it and he just said that he knew it would **** me off.

Other than that I am always excused during the first round of voir dire because I almost always know at least one of the law enforcement officers, the attorneys or the defendant.

Since I turn 70 this year I am now exempt after my birthday.

Good for you. The age in NC where I currently live is 72.

Old Yesterday, 08:31 AM

23,593 posts, read 17,275,145 times
Last two times, I was on standby, never got called to be on a jury. Everything online, never had to go to courthouse. Once before got seated on a trial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey