Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2024, 11:20 AM

163 posts, read 93,314 times

Advertisements

I was just summoned as a Petit Juror for the week of May 13th. I live in Belleville, in Essex County. I am 41 and it is my first jury duty summons. My length of service is one week/one trial. Stupid question, but what are the odds I actually end up serving on a jury? From what I understand, the chances are very small. It is probably much more likely I am told I am no longer needed after the first day than actually end up on a jury. Is that accurate? Also, I saw other posts on this, but in Essex County, is the first day still usually just on Zoom and not in person. I saw a post on reddit a couple of years ago that said that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2024, 12:25 PM

19,148 posts, read 25,385,104 times
It's entirely possible that you won't even have to report for the first day. You will be given a website where you can check-in, the night before your reporting date, and that will tell you whether or not you have to report to the courthouse the following day. And, if you do have to report on day one, if you haven't been placed on a case by day's end, you will be dismissed, and will have completed your service.

Old 04-04-2024, 08:36 AM

5,307 posts, read 6,200,906 times
Serving on a jury constitutes involuntary servitude.

Old 04-04-2024, 09:13 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,426,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Serving on a jury constitutes involuntary servitude.
That's quite a comment. Serving on a jury is a civic duty to go along with the civic right of being judged by a jury of one's peers. Where do you think those juries come from? Do you not believe there should be any civic duties to go along with your civic rights?

Old 04-04-2024, 11:01 AM

451 posts, read 324,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderling View Post
That's quite a comment. Serving on a jury is a civic duty to go along with the civic right of being judged by a jury of one's peers. Where do you think those juries come from? Do you not believe there should be any civic duties to go along with your civic rights?
Yeah what a dumb comment that was. Go live in some craphole dictatorship.

Old 04-04-2024, 11:33 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,609,714 times
Quote:
The real problem with anybody being judged by one's peers is most everyone is gonna think and assume yep ass you and me you did something.

Old 04-04-2024, 01:10 PM

19,148 posts, read 25,385,104 times
Many years ago, I served one day on a jury in Union County. Did I want to do it? No, I didn't, but I realized that it was my civic duty. I was "compensated" with a payment of $15--which the Board of Ed demanded that I remit to them for the "privilege" of being given a day off for jury duty.
I willingly gave the Board of Ed that money because they obviously needed it more than I did.

A few years ago, I received a notice to report for jury duty at the Federal District Court, in Trenton.
Did I want to spend time in Trenton? Obviously not, but... you know... the civic duty thing... prevailed.

When I filled-out the questionaire regarding employment/past employment, I reported that my last career (after retiring from the field of education) was as a Paralegal who wrote the Court Complaints for two NJ Deputy Attorneys General. Because defense attorneys don't want anyone who is associated with the law enforcement community to sit on a jury, I was rapidly notified that my services were not needed, and that I was excused from jury duty.

Old 04-04-2024, 02:35 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,426,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NjDevils3027 View Post
Yeah what a dumb comment that was. Go live in some craphole dictatorship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
The real problem with anybody being judged by one's peers is most everyone is gonna think and assume yep ass you and me you did something.
Since I can't tell if these comments are sarcastic or what the tone is supposed to be, I don't know how to reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Many years ago, I served one day on a jury in Union County. Did I want to do it? No, I didn't, but I realized that it was my civic duty. I was "compensated" with a payment of $15--which the Board of Ed demanded that I remit to them for the "privilege" of being given a day off for jury duty.
I willingly gave the Board of Ed that money because they obviously needed it more than I did.

A few years ago, I received a notice to report for jury duty at the Federal District Court, in Trenton.
Did I want to spend time in Trenton? Obviously not, but... you know... the civic duty thing... prevailed.

When I filled-out the questionaire regarding employment/past employment, I reported that my last career (after retiring from the field of education) was as a Paralegal who wrote the Court Complaints for two NJ Deputy Attorneys General. Because defense attorneys don't want anyone who is associated with the law enforcement community to sit on a jury, I was rapidly notified that my services were not needed, and that I was excused from jury duty.
These days jury duty is often not a burden at all, as you mentioned upthread. Most often people are told they don't have to come in or are quickly excused for one reason or another. I've had both experiences. (I've also had the full-on service experience of a six-week trial in Federal court, which was NOT a walk in the park. It wasn't even an exciting case! ) But even with that situation I'd never call it "involuntary servitude."

Old 04-04-2024, 05:31 PM

5,174 posts, read 3,782,461 times
Been called 5 times only had to even go twice. One time I had to spend two days in the waiting area never even got called to get chosen or not. The other time the lawyer for the defense after asking a couple of questions disqualified me. Guy wanted to sue because he injured himself with a garden tool. 3 times I just called and the computer message was don't bother we don't need you to appear.

Old 04-04-2024, 08:51 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,242,951 times
Quote:
That's not what a jury is for nowadays. Juries are a tool the prosecutor uses to scare the defendant into plea bargaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey