Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2024, 08:19 AM

10,602 posts, read 7,111,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NjDevils3027 View Post
Why are you focused on the NYC part of the equation rather than the huge sums of money that NJ residents bring back from NYC to spend in NJ?
People who work in NYC are not contributing their fair share in taxes. They are not paying the same in state income taxes, the businesses aren't paying NJ taxes, and the whip cream of it all, people in NJ and NJ businesses are supplementing the costs for them to get into the City.

NJ should disincentivize people from working in NYC and bring the jobs and business to NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2024, 08:41 AM

88,777 posts, read 85,174,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NjDevils3027 View Post
Why are you focused on the NYC part of the equation rather than the huge sums of money that NJ residents bring back from NYC to spend in NJ?
Ding ding ding. DH is just one of those types who thrives on negativity. I don't get it, but there are people who aren't happy unless they focus on the dark side of life. And lots of them post on City-Data, lol.

I take the train three days, and only one of those days is to NYC. I work in Newark the other two. And I spend my money in NJ. I expect that will only increase as Newark continues to redevelop and build and the NJT station at EWR gets revamped and opens up to the South Ward.

Old 04-12-2024, 10:23 AM

459 posts, read 330,708 times
I agree with you MQ.

Old 04-12-2024, 07:29 PM

1,160 posts, read 875,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Wow, I didn't realize Murphy has proposed more taxes to cover the $780M budget deficit of NJ Transit in addition to the rate hikes. Seems counterintuitive to punish NJ businesses, to supplement the workforce of NYC.

NJ should just shutdown NJ Transit and watch NYC come over to start pitching in for the woes.

Also, Murphy wants to force everyone into electric cars by 2035 then NO CARS by 2050 whereby everyone is forced to live in high-density housing (except the omnipotent class). They can't even manage a few sets of train tracks that have existed for 150 years.

We need new leadership, no more Murphys or Bidens, this state has gone downhill fast.
Well, my wife and I depend on NJT to get to work every day as well as thousands of others therefore shutting down an agency that is a heartbeat of the economy is not an option. If Murphy wants no cars by 2050, then there would be a hell of a lot impovement needed to NJT to sustain that and I doubt Murphy will even be alive by then to see it. I doubt I'll be either. Haha. I do agree this state has gone downhill fast and NJT WOULD have plenty of money to operate without fare increases if it wasn't for all its wasteful spending (that goes for the NYC MTA too). If these Democraps really want people to go Green, raising transit fares is not the answer.

Old 04-13-2024, 10:14 AM

20,212 posts, read 9,117,582 times
if you want nice things, they cost money. Plenty of areas of the country don't have the convenience of rail travel to commute. It's nice to have it available, it's a HCOL area to begin with, you gotta pay for it. The more you make, the more they take. I'd suggest moving to a nearby state but the tenacles of negativity are hard to free yourself from.

Old 04-13-2024, 03:39 PM

32,008 posts, read 27,183,135 times
Post WWII years as private rail began to either cut routes and or simply went belly-up local governments usually stepped in to purchase commuter services. Same was true for private bus lines as well.

Both private rail and bus lines provided commuter service for local areas and were compensated by local governments. Realizing value of such services states stepped in to keep commuter rail/bus running.

New Jersey began subsidizing commuter rail service in 1964.

"TRENTON, July 7 (AP)—Signing of contracts with the Jersey Central and Lehigh Valley Railroads by the state today marked the start of a fiveâ€year program to improve commuter service.

The soâ€called “Alden plan,†requiring a $6 million outlay for construction and improvements, seeks to restore the Jersey Central to sound finaclal condition. The state has doubled its subsidy to the road to $3 million a year."

https://www.nytimes.com/1964/07/08/a...commuting.html

Also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centra...y#20th_century

It's been off to the races ever since.

This is same for Metro-North (New York/Conn) and many others.

Old 04-13-2024, 03:59 PM

7,061 posts, read 19,347,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
Well, my wife and I depend on NJT to get to work every day as well as thousands of others therefore shutting down an agency that is a heartbeat of the economy is not an option. If Murphy wants no cars by 2050, then there would be a hell of a lot impovement needed to NJT to sustain that and I doubt Murphy will even be alive by then to see it. I doubt I'll be either. Haha. I do agree this state has gone downhill fast and NJT WOULD have plenty of money to operate without fare increases if it wasn't for all its wasteful spending (that goes for the NYC MTA too). If these Democraps really want people to go Green, raising transit fares is not the answer.
Yeah, Murphy doesn't want to ban cars. He's been supportive of Turnpike and Parkway widenings and other very expensive highway investments which just make it easier to drive cars. If he wanted to "ban cars" he'd be pushing for a lot more investments in transit, as you mentioned.

Old 04-13-2024, 10:02 PM

10,602 posts, read 7,111,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Ding ding ding. DH is just one of those types who thrives on negativity. I don't get it, but there are people who aren't happy unless they focus on the dark side of life. And lots of them post on City-Data, lol.

I take the train three days, and only one of those days is to NYC. I work in Newark the other two. And I spend my money in NJ. I expect that will only increase as Newark continues to redevelop and build and the NJT station at EWR gets revamped and opens up to the South Ward.
I'm not drawing negativity but let's be real, the trains are completely uneconomical. We need a leader to step in and just shut down the trains to make NYC pay for part of the system. NJ represents ~25% of the NYC workforce and they would crawl to NJ if we had leadership that knew how to negotiate.

Bring the business into NJ which would revitalize Newark if they refused. We hold the cards.

Old 04-13-2024, 10:56 PM

88,777 posts, read 85,174,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
I'm not drawing negativity but let's be real, the trains are completely uneconomical. We need a leader to step in and just shut down the trains to make NYC pay for part of the system. NJ represents ~25% of the NYC workforce and they would crawl to NJ if we had leadership that knew how to negotiate.

Bring the business into NJ which would revitalize Newark if they refused. We hold the cards.
Shut down the trains???? Do you not have any idea how many people rely on those trains every day? NYC is never going to pay for the NJ system. For Pete's sake, all the MTA C&D projects are waiting for congestion pricing money. They can't pay for their own, let alone ours.

Old 04-14-2024, 06:14 AM

34,176 posts, read 47,459,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Shut down the trains???? Do you not have any idea how many people rely on those trains every day? NYC is never going to pay for the NJ system. For Pete's sake, all the MTA C&D projects are waiting for congestion pricing money. They can't pay for their own, let alone ours.
A major downfall to the whole area is that the NYC subway does not extend beyond the city lines like it does in DC. IMO.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey