Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2024, 07:33 AM

88,777 posts, read 85,174,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
A major downfall to the whole area is that the NYC subway does not extend beyond the city lines like it does in DC. IMO.
I think geography had a lot to do with that, plus way back when the subway was built at the start of the 20th century, the working middle class lived in the city and NJ was farmland. There were exceptions, for example, Ridgewood was a commuter town way back and people took that train line to Hoboken, but then a ferry to lower Manhattan.

The DC Metro is relatively new. It opened in 1976, when commuter suburbs already existed, plus DC is not on an island.

Old 04-14-2024, 12:33 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,266,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think geography had a lot to do with that, plus way back when the subway was built at the start of the 20th century, the working middle class lived in the city and NJ was farmland. There were exceptions, for example, Ridgewood was a commuter town way back and people took that train line to Hoboken, but then a ferry to lower Manhattan.
The H&M Tunnels (now PATH) opened in 1908 and 1909, but they didn't (and still don't) connect to the rest of the system. Manhattan Transfer opened in 1910 but I don't think the Ridgewood line served it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2024, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
The H&M Tunnels (now PATH) opened in 1908 and 1909, but they didn't (and still don't) connect to the rest of the system. Manhattan Transfer opened in 1910 but I don't think the Ridgewood line served it.
Yeah, I know they don't connect (obviously, lol, you know who I worked for most of my life, right?). The closest they come now are at the Oculus and Fulton Center, but also, you can connect to some lines a level up or down at 23rd and 33rd St stations. After the WTC went down, they stashed us in the Flatiron district/One Madison for about 7 years. I had to climb up out of the 23rd Street PATH every morning. Like 90 steps to get to the street And I still smoked my Newports back then. Cough cough.

Old 04-14-2024, 02:54 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,266,668 times
Quote:
Yeah, I know they don't connect (obviously, lol, you know who I worked for most of my life, right?).
I knew you worked at WTC but didn't know for who; I guess it was Port Authority?

Quote:
I had to climb up out of the 23rd Street PATH every morning. Like 90 steps to get to the street And I still smoked my Newports back then. Cough cough.
Christopher Street is deeper, right? I used to take that sometimes to get to work when other things were f---ed, and that climb was serious suck even though I never smoked.

Old 04-14-2024, 03:15 PM

Quote:
I knew you worked at WTC but didn't know for who; I guess it was Port Authority?

Christopher Street is deeper, right? I used to take that sometimes to get to work when other things were f---ed, and that climb was serious suck even though I never smoked.
Yup, Christopher Street is down deep and there was only one exit.

Old 04-15-2024, 06:18 AM

32,008 posts, read 27,183,135 times
Quote:

In aftermath of 9/11/01 when federal money was sloshing around NYC like gin in a bathtub and WTC was being rebuilt, transit advocates came up with a plan to link PATH with IRT subway. Port Authority wasn't having any of it and squashed the idea.

https://newyorkyimby.com/2014/09/the...never-was.html

In 1910 city opened up bids to build a new subway line that would compete with IRT and H&M (latter then was the only "subway" that ran up Sixth avenue). No private company bid on "Triboro subway line), but Mr. McAdoo (owner of H&M RR) expressed great interest and offered to pledge capital and rolling stock if his RR were awarded contracts for new line. Owners of IRT were not having it. They got wind of Mr. McAdoo's plans and saw it as the threat to their business it was, they countered with a more generous offer to upgrade IRT service and that was that.

Issue today with connecting PATH with NYC subway system is the two are virtually incompatible in terms of rolling stock, signals, etc... Port Authority is in no position to build an entire new ROW under Manhattan. Even if funding could be found it would be a logistical nightmare.

Time to do something like this was early in prior century. There is just too much stuff under ground in Manhattan now to carve out new RR ROW. We saw this with Second Avenue Subway and that boondoggle known as "Eastside Access" for LIRR. Both rail are deep, very deep underground in part to create tunnels that didn't hit anything else.

https://www.splicetoday.com/writing/...s-other-subway

Lower Manhattan already has plenty of train access between Penn Station and PATH. What needs to be and should have happened is rail over GWB which would let commuters bit north in NJ in on the fun.

GWB was designed and originally built to have rail on lower level. For various reasons it never happened. When lower level was completed it went with all cars.

Old Today, 06:57 PM

3,923 posts, read 9,146,870 times
Quote:
Shut down the trains???? Do you not have any idea how many people rely on those trains every day? NYC is never going to pay for the NJ system. For Pete's sake, all the MTA C&D projects are waiting for congestion pricing money. They can't pay for their own, let alone ours.
So money is being collected from NJ-NY car commuters in order to supposedly improve service and make it less necessary to drive...yet the money is supposed to go exclusively to projects exclusively within the boundaries of NY? Doesn't make much sense to me...

Old Today, 09:25 PM

7,061 posts, read 19,347,488 times
I agree that there should be revenue sharing between NY and NJ with congestion pricing, and that the fee could probably go higher to cover the NJ portion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey