Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 01:19 PM

6 posts, read 11,210 times

Advertisements

Darn... and I thought I was going be able to save in my hotel costs...

I think you've given very good advice, and I thank you very much for it. I've been checking out the recs (both via DM and here) and now I have to try and decide wether I can actually double my accommondation budget... But, if there is even a remote chance for bodily damage, then I guess it is worth it.

I must admit that this decision to come to NJ just to attend an event was sort of "spur of the moment" thing. And I didn't do my research beforehand. But, as I managed to get a good ticket for the event, I can hardly back down now, can I?

-b.e.-

BTW Car-jackings haven't really never been an issue in Finland. But assaulting people passing by with knives (or chains or other "helpful" items)... I don't think Finland is as bad as France and nowhere as bad as OS (if even half what you've told here is true)... things used to be different in the 1990s and I've also noticed some alarming development in certain parts of the country... but I guess I can still say that I live in a (relatively) safe environment... Just as long as I don't make eye-contact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 09:23 PM

403 posts, read 1,190,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -b.e.- View Post
I didn't mean to insult anyone. I am a real person, whom, might I add, has NEVER been to the US! That's why I'm asking all these dumb questions.
Someone in a Finnish forum directed me here, so I thought that maybe I could get some actual info.
BUT as I searched, I became more and more nervous about the whole thing. Things said in this board about East Orange, NJ are far from flattering.

Now to the questions you asked:
Unfortunately I haven't got a driver's licence, so renting is out of the question. (I know that it might sound odd that I don't drive, but the public transportation system works well where I live ... and the cost of gas and parking are quite high)

SOPAC is next to South Orange Station, in the corner of South Orange Avenue and Trenchard Place. Hopefully that gives you some some idea of its location...

I'd love to hear from others about all of this. Especially if there are (reasonably priced) hotels near SOPAC in South Orange, which can be booked online.

Maybe I should just risk it. The plane tickets and the event tickets are non-refundable and (naturally) already paid for. It's just the hotel and all the scary stories that are the problem here...

-b.e.-
Just understand that most of what you read about East Orange was probably written by people who don't live in East Orange and therefore discredits anything they say.

Good luck in your search.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:55 AM

5 posts, read 7,290 times
Default There are plenty of hotels near the airport

Newark airport that is. Not only is it safer, it is closer. Please try not to stay at the hotel in East Orange not unless you plan on never leaving your room.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:21 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,689,798 times
o god, just because you're sleeping in EO for a couple nights doesn't mean you're going to get killed for no reason. If you don't ask or get involved in any trouble you'll be fine.

I lived and went to public schools most my life in Newark.. give me a break!

PS- i know being alone is a scary thing sometimes... try looking for Hotels in Montclair.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:25 AM

5 posts, read 12,873 times
Default Take it from someone that lives in east orange...

I read your post and think that Ramada will work out just fine for you seeing as how you seem to understand the basics of begins safe and you'll only be here a few days. East Orange has many different areas and I live close to the Ramada which I find to be just fine. Take it from someone who actually LIVES HERE ) I am female, short, and white and often walk home from the train station at night (10 minute walk) and have done so for over a year with absolutely NO problems. Since you don't know the area I would take a taxi at night but during the day you could easily take public transportation. It's so close to the train it would be great!

As an FYI for all....East Orange is an up and coming city, while not perfect it is greatly improved from years ago. The crime index for East Orange in 2007 was 399 (with 320 being that national average). Not as bad as everyone wants to pretend it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey