Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 05:25 PM

Location: Northern and Western Washington State (the rainy part)
44 posts, read 153,244 times

Advertisements

Howdy from Washington State...We are hoping to bring "new blood" to Alamogordo, Ruidoso, T or C and even Roswell.
Having researched over a year for our next 15yr plan we've choosen NM.
We were down there in Nov to look at several properties (small biz RV Parks) and left with none...NM has some strict septic regulations and it's surprising how many don't adhere to them until it's too late and someone has made an offer on their land....We love the area from Roswell to T or C and south...along with the desert lifestyle.

Having spent 50yrs here in the NW, but I have also been aquainted with the SW and the plus/minus's of living in the desert..we feel this is the right place to land feet first.

We plan to relocate even if we don't find the right property...from our studies the economy in these smaller cities are picking up and residency is growing....any feedback is always welcome...we should be in Alamogordo Sat/Sun Feb 17-18
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2007, 06:07 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Webfoot...all 4 cities you mentioned are growing. Ruidoso and Tor C are more tourists and retirees and Roswell and Alamogordo are more diverse in their economies. Welcome to our large state in landsize and small in population. Hope you enjoy Alamogordo in your visit....

Old 01-08-2007, 08:55 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,092,878 times
McGinn's pistachio ranch on rte 54/70 has a nice store and now have a winery. We still order them online every year. They are a little slice of heaven!

Old 01-11-2007, 01:31 PM

Location: Northern and Western Washington State (the rainy part)
44 posts, read 153,244 times
Default When the time is right

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry o View Post
Webfoot...all 4 cities you mentioned are growing. Ruidoso and Tor C are more tourists and retirees and Roswell and Alamogordo are more diverse in their economies. Welcome to our large state in landsize and small in population. Hope you enjoy Alamogordo in your visit....
Harry, thanks for the feedback. Alamogordo sounds nice.
One question I would ask anyone who has relocated to NM is: How much "stuff" do you bring with you? After living in one spot most of our lives and having accumulated everything under the sun how much of this "stuff" do we bring with us?
Do we get to our new desert habitat and really need a lawnmower,snowshoes,scubagear,25 fishing rods and gear,lawn tools,heavy duty winter wear etc..etc? odds are "no" but it's our "stuff" we've worked hard for it, or... should we bring it all and discard it later?

Again; any feedback is welcome, if anyone wants to send pictures from their location feel free to contact me.

Old 01-11-2007, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfoot_Wa View Post
Do we get to our new desert habitat and really need a lawnmower,snowshoes,scubagear,25 fishing rods and gear,lawn tools,heavy duty winter wear etc..etc? odds are "no" but it's our "stuff" we've worked hard for it, or... should we bring it all and discard it later?

Again; any feedback is welcome, if anyone wants to send pictures from their location feel free to contact me.
Webfoot...beleive or not everything you mentioned about your ''Stuff'' could be used here in New Mexico including your Scuba gear (Blue Hole in Santa Rosa).Its 64 degrees right now in Alamogordo so you can Golf or work around the yard/house. Yet in 20 minutes be up in Cloudcroft and Snowski, Snowtubing, Ice skating etc.

Fishing and/or Boating/Jetsking at Tor C (hour from Las Cruces) so its up to you whether you discard or keep your ''Stuff'' but there are different things to do here in NM.

As for pictures you can go to alamogordo.com and scroll down on the left of page and click''Area Photographs'' and you''ll see Alamogordo,White Sands,Cloudcroft and the Sacramento mountains and other surrounding areas. Take Care...

Old 01-14-2007, 05:08 PM

14 posts, read 45,006 times
Talking Alamogordo

Hi, I read recently that Alamogordo received commendations from the Keep America Beautiful society or some such thing and it went on (the article) to rave about Scenic Dr and White Sands Blvd...and so on, but it said the neighborhoods were anything but beautiful. I forgot where I read this, maybe the newspaper online?

But it mentioned a lot of litter and something about the neighborhoods being in disrepair, many houses boarded up,etc.

With all I've read in the forums here and heard from Alamogordoans, it almost sounds like an exaggeration. But I'd be curious to hear from those in the know. We're contemplating a move west where my wife is from (not from NM, but from further west...of course, living in Maine, not much ISN'T further west, heh). Alamogordo looks really great, all the sites I'm looking at indicate it's still pretty safe, pretty low cost and incredibly sunny.

I'm just curious how others feel. (By the way, the article put the blame on local government, not any of you. Unless of course, you're in local government )
Thanks in advance.

Old 01-14-2007, 05:49 PM

215 posts, read 839,725 times
I'm in Alamo about once a week. I don't see too much litter, but there are indeed some neighborhoods with boarded-up houses. The ones I've seen are in the older parts of town. The newer areas I've seen (mostly on the north and east sides) are **** and span. Primarily new tract-type houses. As for the neighborhoods being beautiful, that's a matter of taste. There are certainly some great views of the mountains and sky.

<<all the sites I'm looking at indicate it's still pretty safe, pretty low cost and incredibly sunny.>>

All true for the most part. Tons of sun and plenty of summer heat. There can also be serious damaging floods during monsoon season. Be careful where you buy.

Old 01-14-2007, 05:51 PM

Jim...that story was on today's edition of the Alamo Daily News editorial section..

I agree that the ''old town'' (1st-10th street section) has been run down for years as the city council has never cared much for the area. The councils of the past were mostly retirees who wanted low taxes at all cost so infrastucture was never taken care of. I do beleive we/they finally have a good city council as the newest members are much needed ''young blood'' who seem to really care about their districts but only time will tell....

However look all around the outer areas are new housing to the south by the Golf Course and to the north across from the White Sands mall. A fairly brand new hospital that keeps expanding and offering more services, new health club under construction, new Home Depot, new Lowes, new shopping center under constructuin at 10th and whitesands, new movie complex under construction and all new housing and other facilities going on at Holloman AFB so there is an ''old core'' section and an new ''peripheral'' section.....

Old 02-05-2007, 10:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,838 times
Default Thinking of relocating to Alamogordo

I've been looking at the real estate in alamogordo. I'm interested in the older parts of town. 5th- 10th st Memory Ln.,Elm St, Dewey Ln; also Challenger, Columbia St. I love the architecture of older homes but worry about the crime in some older neighborhoods. Can anyone tell me about these areas?

Old 02-06-2007, 05:43 AM

itchie....i know Alamogordo very well. Although every city and town has crime the rate in Alamogordo is low. The 5th thru 10th street areas are the oldest of the streets you list. Lovers lane and Dewey are second oldest and over by the ''School for the Blind'' and Challenger and Columbia are on the western outskirts of town going towards Hollaman AFB and are about 20 years old. The Challenger/Columbia are the nicest streets but your about 10 minutes from town although its growing fast out there. I wouldn't have a problem living in any of the areas you mentioned although again 5th -10th is an old area....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico