Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 07:16 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times

Advertisements

I think part of the reason why the Land of Enchantment has a bad reputation is that it has quite a bit of poverty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 05:05 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green2819 View Post
I constantly see pages where people say that New Mexico sucks and do not move there. I know crime in ABQ is quite high and Santa Fe is pretty expensive to live in but what about Las Cruces or smaller places like Taos or Tularosa. I'm just curious as to why SO many people have hated living there. I haven't visited just wanting opinions from people who live or have lived there. I actually love the adobe buildings (at least in pictures) and think it would be a cool place to live.
It is too bad they get a bad rap, but some of it is earned. NM has lots of positives, beauty and climate being at the top of the list. Las Cruses is nice, but still a small place and some people want to live in a larger city. Of course they are close to El Paso. The poverty in and around Las Cruses exists just like other parts of the state. Add poverty to high crime, high school drop out rate and unusual high driving under the influence and you have your answer. Add to that, you mention Taos, how many people do you know that want to live in a ski resort town and how many jobs do you think exist in places like that? Like many rural states with not a lot of employment opportunities NM isn't a place many people consider their dream home location. It may not be fair, but it is the truth.

I will add, many who have branded NM as undesirable have probably never visited the state much less lived there. And anyone who says it is hot, doesn't know what hot is if you live in the middle or north part of the state. How many places can you live, in the middle of the summer without A/C? We lived south of ABQ for 7 years, did not miss not having central air, even in July and Aug.

Last edited by nmnita; 07-12-2017 at 05:13 AM..

Old 07-12-2017, 09:01 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,594,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
And anyone who says it is hot, doesn't know what hot is if you live in the middle or north part of the state. How many places can you live, in the middle of the summer without A/C? We lived south of ABQ for 7 years, did not miss not having central air, even in July and Aug.
Yes, the summer climate in NM (on average) is definitely better than most of the country!

Summer temperatures in NM are almost entirely influenced by altitude rather than latitude. It's true that the lowest altitudes are found in the south, and most of the towns are at low elevation. But if you going into the southern mountain areas you'll find some of the mildest year-round temperatures in the country.

If you were in the Rio Grande valley and didn't miss A/C I'm guessing your house was well designed for the climate, or you tolerate heat better than most. It isn't that tricky. Good insulation and/or thermal mass (adobe) and porches to block the sun on east and west walls will do it.

Like every year in late June since we got here 10 years ago, it gets a little hot in the house in the evening (80-82F) but it so dry it isn't bad. Now that the rainy season has started, temperatures inside are peaking in the high 70s and usually in the high 60s by morning by leaving the windows open at night. And this house is not well designed.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:04 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,105,517 times
Live in an impoverished area and get by fairly well with the job you got?
Or move to some trendy, economically boosted area in TX or CO and deal with the crowds, traffic, and high class people that want to instigate?

For solitude in the lower 48, can't beat the Zia State.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Yes, the summer climate in NM (on average) is definitely better than most of the country!

Summer temperatures in NM are almost entirely influenced by altitude rather than latitude. It's true that the lowest altitudes are found in the south, and most of the towns are at low elevation. But if you going into the southern mountain areas you'll find some of the mildest year-round temperatures in the country.

If you were in the Rio Grande valley and didn't miss A/C I'm guessing your house was well designed for the climate, or you tolerate heat better than most. It isn't that tricky. Good insulation and/or thermal mass (adobe) and porches to block the sun on east and west walls will do it.

Like every year in late June since we got here 10 years ago, it gets a little hot in the house in the evening (80-82F) but it so dry it isn't bad. Now that the rainy season has started, temperatures inside are peaking in the high 70s and usually in the high 60s by morning by leaving the windows open at night. And this house is not well designed.
The only time the heat bothered us was when the temps climbed above about 95 which didn't happen to often because of the altitude in ABQ. As long as the temps were lower than that and with a very good swamp cooler we were just fine and loved the nights with the windows open. Oh sure, there were a few days each year I would have rather been somewhere else, but it was rare.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:14 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,594,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
As long as the temps were lower than that and with a very good swamp cooler we were just fine and loved the nights with the windows open.
Oh, forgot about swamp coolers! That will help. Ya, Albuquerque isn't so hot in summer. The elevation is actually the same as Denver.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:16 AM

730 posts, read 769,337 times
I lived in Albuquerque for 40 years. I didnt like it because I hate the desert, although declining quality of life for my family came into play down the road. Some people love the continuous sunny skies and such and if you are into that kind of thing, it can be a great match for you.

To be fair, living there, I never really felt crime was that bad. I lived on both the east side and west side of the river during my time there and felt very safe. I had my car broken into once but that can happen anywhere.

I will say for other negatives on my list, New Mexico education is terrible! The public school system is a mess and it's very difficult to give it any positives. It's frustrating for parents of gifted kids, neurotypical kids and special needs kids, of which I have all. Just moving one state over has taken my special needs child from a 17th percentile reading score to a 79th percentile reading score in one year. That's due to teachers that have a lot more resources at their disposal.

For certain medical things, ABQ cannot compete with larger cities. It's another reasons we moved.

But for many, it can be a great place. Just please don't go by pictures that some members post of lush green spots and water (taken at the biopark, top of cloudcroft, etc). Those places are few and far between in NM and while NM does have its own beauty in the wide open vistas and sunsets, its not a lush oasis in the desert with green deciduous trees, grass and lakes.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:51 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,105,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoodlemomCoS View Post
I lived in Albuquerque for 40 years. I didnt like it because I hate the desert, although declining quality of life for my family came into play down the road. Some people love the continuous sunny skies and such and if you are into that kind of thing, it can be a great match for you.

To be fair, living there, I never really felt crime was that bad. I lived on both the east side and west side of the river during my time there and felt very safe. I had my car broken into once but that can happen anywhere.

I will say for other negatives on my list, New Mexico education is terrible! The public school system is a mess and it's very difficult to give it any positives. It's frustrating for parents of gifted kids, neurotypical kids and special needs kids, of which I have all. Just moving one state over has taken my special needs child from a 17th percentile reading score to a 79th percentile reading score in one year. That's due to teachers that have a lot more resources at their disposal.

For certain medical things, ABQ cannot compete with larger cities. It's another reasons we moved.

But for many, it can be a great place. Just please don't go by pictures that some members post of lush green spots and water (taken at the biopark, top of cloudcroft, etc). Those places are few and far between in NM and while NM does have its own beauty in the wide open vistas and sunsets, its not a lush oasis in the desert with green deciduous trees, grass and lakes.
What a difference a state away makes. Come down south, you're in for some hard luck. Head up north, it's higher prices, but slightly better services.
I've been toying with the idea of moving up to the Front Range, but my own developed fears of actually living within an urban area keep me from moving full on with any move.

Call me Mr ChickenOut, complete with the pink feathers!!!

Old 07-12-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Oh, forgot about swamp coolers! That will help. Ya, Albuquerque isn't so hot in summer. The elevation is actually the same as Denver.
and similar to Reno. In fact when we decided to retire it was a toss up between ABQ and Reno. They have some similarities. I never regretted choosing NM even though it really ended up not being right for us.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:53 PM

730 posts, read 769,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
What a difference a state away makes. Come down south, you're in for some hard luck. Head up north, it's higher prices, but slightly better services.
I've been toying with the idea of moving up to the Front Range, but my own developed fears of actually living within an urban area keep me from moving full on with any move.

Call me Mr ChickenOut, complete with the pink feathers!!!

Still room up here on the front range. Some services are even more than slightly better. if you are curious about things, head over to the Colorado forum and we will help you out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico