Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 11:15 AM

27 posts, read 43,425 times

Advertisements

I constantly see pages where people say that New Mexico sucks and do not move there. I know crime in ABQ is quite high and Santa Fe is pretty expensive to live in but what about Las Cruces or smaller places like Taos or Tularosa. I'm just curious as to why SO many people have hated living there. I haven't visited just wanting opinions from people who live or have lived there. I actually love the adobe buildings (at least in pictures) and think it would be a cool place to live.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-08-2017 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: Minor edit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 11:29 AM

4,713 posts, read 3,469,274 times
I LOVE it here. Those who don't are welcome not to move here. IMHO the bad rep is undeserved.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:33 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
We moved here 15+ years ago. I had some other time in the Great Southwest.

You really need to come out and visit!

Here are 400+ great videos on YouTube from "VisitNewMexico": https://www.youtube.com/user/VisitNewMexico

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-20-2017 at 10:20 AM..

Old 07-08-2017, 12:02 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,469,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
We moved here 15+ years ago. I had some other time in the Great Southwest.

You really need to come out and visit!

Here are 400+ great videos on YouTube from "VisitNewMexico": https://www.youtube.com/user/VisitNewMexico

LOL. You were much nicer in your response. I get so tired of the posts here clearly written by those with some chip on their shoulder about New Mexico after having been here for a brief time or to limited locations in the state. YET, it seems like everybody wants to move here! This forum is constantly 'blowing up' with people on the way to New Mexico.

Every 'place' has its positives and negatives. New Mexico is 'quirky', I'll give you that! But that is the charm. The diversity of culture and thought throughout the state is quite remarkable.

Sadly, we are a poor state economically, but rich in many other ways that count.

You are correct. You really need to visit and understand that New Mexico is unique in so many GOOD ways. We are aptly named The Land of Enchantment. And that is also perhaps the most important 'key' to New Mexico: The LAND.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OwSx6UpIUZA

Where to even BEGIN to describe New Mexico....?! Many try. Here is a fun one:

https://matadornetwork.com/notebook/...never-guessed/

I understand that some may NOT be 'enchanted', but for those who are touched by the magic, there is no other place.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-20-2017 at 10:21 AM..

Old 07-08-2017, 12:50 PM

356 posts, read 502,436 times
I was and always will be enchanted. Started the moment I stepped out of the bus at Philmont in 1968 in my Boy Scout uniform.

Last edited by Oregon Bill; 07-08-2017 at 01:07 PM..

Old 07-08-2017, 01:03 PM

16,069 posts, read 10,729,796 times
Many people who bad-mouth New Mexico or Albuquerque on C-D have made a forum career out of bad-mouthing wherever they live. Crime in Albuquerque is comparable to many places -- check the numbers -- but those places never get called out on crime. Albuquerque crime rate is less than Salt Lake City and about the same as Wichita. New Mexico is a poor state and the economy is somewhat impacted by reduced federal contractor work. There is a lot of potential but not much progress on the economy. There is no state more scenic than New Mexico and few places that can compare the history and culture we have here.

Old 07-08-2017, 01:07 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green2819 View Post
I constantly see pages where people say that New Mexico sucks and do not move there. I know crime in ABQ is quite high and Santa Fe is pretty expensive to live in but what about Las Cruces or smaller places like Taos or Tularosa. I'm just curious as to why SO many people have hated living there. I haven't visited just wanting opinions from people who live or have lived there. I actually love the adobe buildings (at least in pictures) and think it would be a cool place to live.
It is human nature for some humans to complain about a lot...

I attribute some of it to the Internet, and some other possibilities..

There will probably always be someone complaining about New Mexico, as well all of the states.. I happen to like the American Southwest, U.S.A.

I had some good times in Arizona, so I took a peek. First thing that hit me was a thread: Arizona is a terrible place, do not think about living here with 345 posts...

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 09-18-2017 at 08:18 AM..

Old 07-08-2017, 05:25 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
As far as I'm concerned, New Mexico doesn't need to increase its population. In fact, I wish a large proportion of undesirables would find a more desirable place to live! And those who doubt its charm (enchantment) would find somewhere else to move to.

Old 07-08-2017, 07:58 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,126,379 times
We moved to NM well over 5 years ago now, and do not regret it for a minute.
The summers are very hot-----there is a beauty and mystique to New Mexico.
I love the diversity, the tolerance, and the you respect me and I will respect you attitude that is prevalent here.

Crime varies-----be careful and don't display anything in your car, and keep it locked.

We love it here, and are very glad to call NM our new hope----reputation out the window for us.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:18 AM

887 posts, read 1,214,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
It is human nature for some humans to complain about a lot... I attribute some of it to the Internet, and some other possibilities..

I had some good times in Arizona, so I took a peek. First thing that hit me was a thread: Arizona is a terrible place, do not think about living here with 345 posts...
Skimmed that some time back and I believe it began as a tongue in cheek post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico