Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2020, 03:00 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,373,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampyNeedsMountains View Post
What's the LA reference tho?
Los Alamos. Sometimes referred to as "LA" by northern NM locals. It can be confusing though, sorry 'bout that.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2020, 03:29 PM

79 posts, read 126,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Los Alamos. Sometimes referred to as "LA" by northern NM locals. It can be confusing though, sorry 'bout that.
Was like - Los Angeles - rich folk? me in Louisiana? gotcha

Old 09-28-2020, 08:23 PM

86 posts, read 92,722 times
Los Alamos and White Rock seem like nice places to live. Both are pricy though. It seems tough to find a house in the area under 350kish. I doubt prices will go down much either because of the lab. I hope they build more up there (within reason).

Old 09-30-2020, 09:02 AM

5,045 posts, read 7,424,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Doc View Post
Los Alamos and White Rock seem like nice places to live. Both are pricy though. It seems tough to find a house in the area under 350kish. I doubt prices will go down much either because of the lab. I hope they build more up there (within reason).
Objectively it seems nice, but for many people it would be hard to feel part of that community or justify living there when they don't work at LANL (or didn't retire from there). Many people who work at the Labs choose not to live in Los Alamos, but live instead in Española, Santa Fe, Rio Rancho, and Albuquerque. I don't think area residents want to see Los Alamos develop or become a popular place to live for people not somehow engaged at the Labs.

Old 09-30-2020, 09:46 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,453,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Objectively it seems nice, but for many people it would be hard to feel part of that community or justify living there when they don't work at LANL (or didn't retire from there). Many people who work at the Labs choose not to live in Los Alamos, but live instead in Española, Santa Fe, Rio Rancho, and Albuquerque. I don't think area residents want to see Los Alamos develop or become a popular place to live for people not somehow engaged at the Labs.
Agreed - they're very insular communities. Sure, there are plenty of people there who work for the schools or county or the service industry, but Los Alamos and White Rock are both very much "company towns" in a way that few communities are anymore. Very nice, well-appointed company towns, sure, but they'd feel pretty isolating if you didn't have some connnection to LANL.

Old 10-01-2020, 05:50 AM

86 posts, read 92,722 times
Can't say I'd blame them. I was just wondering if even the lab employees themselves are having trouble finding housing there.

Old 10-02-2020, 11:23 AM

5,045 posts, read 7,424,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Doc View Post
Can't say I'd blame them. I was just wondering if even the lab employees themselves are having trouble finding housing there.
I don't think so, but many don't look for housing there. I personally know lab employees who live in Albuquerque and Santa Fe, but also some long-timers/retirees/widows who have lived in White Rock and Los Alamos for many years. Living in Los Alamos County is not a requirement for working at the Labs. For employees with school-age kids, Los Alamos' school district would be a draw.

The geography and small size of the mesa (aka "The Hill") on which the town sits are pretty population-limiting, and it's the small size that adds to the quality of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico