Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2022, 07:21 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,793,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You might enjoy Ecuador. Temps in the highlands stay right around 70 degrees all year 'round, and with roughly 20% or more of the population being Indigenous, it might remind you of NM.
Specifically Guayaquil. Have had my eye on it for a while now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2022, 07:35 AM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Specifically Guayaquil. Have had my eye on it for a while now!
Guayaquil is hot and steamy. It used to be known for a high level of corruption, but corruption has become the "new normal" in Ecuador. The one notable exception being the canton of Cotacachi, which has been run by a popular anti-corruption mayor since the latter part of the 90's, with a break for a couple of administrations, that didn't work out, so he got voted back in. As an economist, he's been doing good things to stimulate economic development, and raise the standard of living throughout the canton. It's in the highlands north of Quito, across the highway from Otavalo. It's popular with expats.

Old 04-13-2022, 09:15 PM

480 posts, read 316,529 times
High wind warnings across much of the state yesterday and today.
70+ MPH gusts around Ruidoso, nearly 60 at ABQ.

It's been a windy week, and is forecast to continue.

Old 05-03-2022, 05:05 PM

658 posts, read 1,335,696 times
Windy season last for about 4-5 months in NM starting in February, early March, usually by June they slow down some. Overall the state is windy at least half of the year and anyone that says otherwise is feeding you bs.

Old 05-03-2022, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtramp View Post
Windy season last for about 4-5 months in NM starting in February, early March, usually by June they slow down some. Overall the state is windy at least half of the year and anyone that says otherwise is feeding you bs.
I don't remember it being windy half the year. Certainly not in February. The wind used to start up noticeably in mid-March, and gain strength, then phase out in late April sometime. Then in more recent years, it often didn't start until April, and just last a month.

Maybe it depends on what part of the state you're in. I do remember, that the drive from Santa Fe to ABQ could be gusty unpredictably: very calm some days/weeks, but challenging occasionally.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-03-2022 at 09:21 PM..

Old 08-24-2022, 06:14 AM

716 posts, read 395,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpleton1989 View Post
I want to visit Santa Fe. I hear it gets windy. I hear best time to visit is Sep - Nov but I missed my window
Personally, i would not want to visit Santa Fe in March.It would be too cold for me.Just keep that in mind.I liek to go to New Mexico Mountains in the Summer not march but hey thats just me.

Old 02-02-2023, 07:52 PM

217 posts, read 141,956 times
I never got around to this, went to Denver instead... I have the time and the money now. Was thinking first week of March but i'm unsure because i don't want to be anywhere too cold.

Old 02-03-2023, 03:35 AM

Quote:
I never got around to this, went to Denver instead... I have the time and the money now. Was thinking first week of March but i'm unsure because i don't want to be anywhere too cold.
Santa Fe is warmer in March than Denver. March used to be windy in NM, but in northern NM at least, the winds have been late by a month, sometimes two, the last 10 years or so.

Old 10-13-2023, 03:59 PM

217 posts, read 141,956 times
Anyway, i finally visited... (edit: ABQ)

and I must say i REALLY liked it. It is so different from Los Angeles, which is a sardine can of human beings. ABQ was wide, sparse and quiet.

A good deal of people in Los Angeles seem anxious and aloof (but i'm probably just projecting ), here there was a vibe of calm and people were approachable and people actually said "excuse me" and things like that while in LA people just shove past you w/o a word. anyway what i've learned from traveling is that i am obviously not a person suited to a big city Lots of southern accents too; visitors or retirees?. I still think California is the best state over all (there is everything here, beaches, snow, forests; went to SanFran in August and really enjoyed it, i love that PNW Twin Peaks/X-Files look).

I had this dumb idea that everything in ABQ would be smalltime but the stuff at the biopark really surprised me.

I don't think i'd ever live in ABQ permanently because it is less convenient than LA; LA is like NY, there is always something near, always something open.

I tried catching the rail runner to Santa Fe 3 times but the first time I missed it and there was a 2 hour gap, second time the wrong(?) train came and went out of service, third time was the same (the schedule they give is inaccurate or i am dumb)

I noticed Google weather was extremely inaccurate about the weather. IN LA it is usually 95% right. Anyway i noticed that it was raining even thought there were only few clouds and was sunny, and people didn't seem surprised.

Absolute worst thing was those fugging mosquitos. There were so many of them. The airbnb I stayed at had a window permanently open so i got to here weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee all night (mosquitos flitting by my ear, i am a light sleeper and any bug bites swell to grape-size with me ) I didn't think NM would have mosquitos. I had to sleep with a sheet over my head.

Old 10-13-2023, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Anyway, i finally visited... (edit: ABQ)

and I must say i REALLY liked it. It is so different from Los Angeles, which is a sardine can of human beings. ABQ was wide, sparse and quiet.

A good deal of people in Los Angeles seem anxious and aloof (but i'm probably just projecting ), here there was a vibe of calm and people were approachable and people actually said "excuse me" and things like that while in LA people just shove past you w/o a word. anyway what i've learned from traveling is that i am obviously not a person suited to a big city Lots of southern accents too; visitors or retirees?. I still think California is the best state over all (there is everything here, beaches, snow, forests; went to SanFran in August and really enjoyed it, i love that PNW Twin Peaks/X-Files look).

I had this dumb idea that everything in ABQ would be smalltime but the stuff at the biopark really surprised me.

I don't think i'd ever live in ABQ permanently because it is less convenient than LA; LA is like NY, there is always something near, always something open.

I tried catching the rail runner to Santa Fe 3 times but the first time I missed it and there was a 2 hour gap, second time the wrong(?) train came and went out of service, third time was the same (the schedule they give is inaccurate or i am dumb)

I noticed Google weather was extremely inaccurate about the weather. IN LA it is usually 95% right. Anyway i noticed that it was raining even thought there were only few clouds and was sunny, and people didn't seem surprised.

Absolute worst thing was those fugging mosquitos. There were so many of them. The airbnb I stayed at had a window permanently open so i got to here weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee all night (mosquitos flitting by my ear, i am a light sleeper and any bug bites swell to grape-size with me ) I didn't think NM would have mosquitos. I had to sleep with a sheet over my head.
Thx for the report! Sorry you missed the Rail Runner. Did you ever make it to Santa Fe?

I didn't know NM had mosquitos either, and I've lived there for 20 years. Next time maybe bring a mosquito net to hang over your bed. I used to take one of those to certain parts of Russia with me.

And speaking of not being a big city person, I've completely been won over to small towns after living in Santa Fe, coming from Seattle and before that, the Bay Area. No freeways (I avoid ABQ unless a trip there is absolutely necessary), easy to hop on the interstate, easy to drive across town, everything is within about a 20-minute drive, with rare exceptions, and the state has big open spaces with little traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico