Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2023, 10:09 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,590,852 times

Advertisements

^^^ I'd never call Demming a "tourist town". I've stayed there a couple nights and driven through many times. Usually stop to get gas. I'm guessing there was some event that night that had the people out late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2023, 10:36 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
^^^ I'd never call Demming a "tourist town". I've stayed there a couple nights and driven through many times. Usually stop to get gas. I'm guessing there was some event that night that had the people out late.
I noticed the town you list as where you live always seems to have timeshares available on RCI. I have always wondered if it is a safe place for a woman by herself to travel. I love to travel and my husband tells me to go ahead because he does not like to travel. He is 6'2" and I don't usually worry when he is along. He has been mistaken as a policeman in many cities and even been offered free drinks because of it.

Old 11-06-2023, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I have always wondered if it is a safe place for a woman by herself to travel.
It's about as safe here as any tourist town can be. Unlike Demming this actually is a tourist town, and it's pretty dead at night unless there is something special going on.

And in general, I think the US is safe for anyone to travel in, if you use a little sense and avoid the worst areas. Something can always happen, but the odds are so low there is no point in worrying.

Old 11-06-2023, 04:21 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
"Is it vastly different from the other three in some way?"

Oh yeah, it's different for sure. But not in a good way. I saw the article below in today's online edition of Albuquerque's KOB 4 TV station.

https://www.kob.com/new-mexico/new-m...tate-rankings/

The studies showed that New Mexico is ranked as the worst state in the US to live in. In two other studies, one ranked NM as the 2nd most dangerous state in the US to live in while the other study ranked it as the 3rd most dangerous. It's also ranked near the bottom in health and education.

I went to UNM in 1985 and have been back to live in Albuquerque 4 or 5 times since then. Each time the city was more dangerous than the last time. I finally gave up a few years ago after being attacked on Central Ave downtown. Then my girlfriend and I were constantly followed by her neighbor everywhere we went in the car (he finally attacked us both, we think he had a crush on her), and....why say more? When I was attacked downtown (unprovoked) I told the guy I was going to call a cop. He said, "They're usually right over there by the transit station" and calmly walked away. He knew they would do nothing.The state is a horror show.

I was going to post the TV news article here on the Albuquerque forum but anything that is critical (and truthful) about the city gets deleted. This might get deleted but I don't care. I refuse to say anything but the truth, and people need to know what is going on in NM. Look at the city's reviews online. Or come see for yourself. It's a shame, but it really is what it is.

Last edited by stephenMM; 11-06-2023 at 04:33 PM..

Old 11-06-2023, 06:49 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,401,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
"Is it vastly different from the other three in some way?"

Oh yeah, it's different for sure. But not in a good way. I saw the article below in today's online edition of Albuquerque's KOB 4 TV station.

https://www.kob.com/new-mexico/new-m...tate-rankings/

The studies showed that New Mexico is ranked as the worst state in the US to live in. In two other studies, one ranked NM as the 2nd most dangerous state in the US to live in while the other study ranked it as the 3rd most dangerous. It's also ranked near the bottom in health and education.

I went to UNM in 1985 and have been back to live in Albuquerque 4 or 5 times since then. Each time the city was more dangerous than the last time. I finally gave up a few years ago after being attacked on Central Ave downtown. Then my girlfriend and I were constantly followed by her neighbor everywhere we went in the car (he finally attacked us both, we think he had a crush on her), and....why say more? When I was attacked downtown (unprovoked) I told the guy I was going to call a cop. He said, "They're usually right over there by the transit station" and calmly walked away. He knew they would do nothing.The state is a horror show.

I was going to post the TV news article here on the Albuquerque forum but anything that is critical (and truthful) about the city gets deleted. This might get deleted but I don't care. I refuse to say anything but the truth, and people need to know what is going on in NM. Look at the city's reviews online. Or come see for yourself. It's a shame, but it really is what it is.
It seems from your various posts like you're trying really hard to justify moving away after living here 4 or 5 times. How many times have you moved since then? Did you find a safe place?

I've been "seeing for myself" for the last 34 years. The state has consistently had low rankings, that hasn't changed. Part of the reason is that we have one of the highest poverty rates.

I've never been "attacked" living and working near Central Avenue for over 25 years. Nor have I personally known anyone who was. "Back in the day", I did frequent some pretty seedy (and non-seedy) bars along Central at night, from West Central, to downtown, to East Central, but even then never experienced or witnessed any problems. Before I moved here, I was assaulted in Cambridge, Mass., not usually thought of as a dangerous place.

Old 11-06-2023, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Deming, New Mexico was on the way to somewhere else we were going. We stayed the night there and were wondering why so many people were out on the streets all through the night. Tourist town was the reason we were told. This town had a river running through underground and provided water and the weather was warm. It had a Myrtle Beach atmosphere.

We found some parts of New Mexico are beautiful.

I felt people of New Mexico had an elevated view of their importance. Not the most friendly place we have been.
I never thought I'd see Deming compared to Myrtle Beach. That makes my head spin... can't get there.

Based on one night in Deming, you understand all the people of New Mexico??? That's pretty funny!

Old 11-06-2023, 07:23 PM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
Quote:
Deming, New Mexico was on the way to somewhere else we were going. We stayed the night there and were wondering why so many people were out on the streets all through the night. Tourist town was the reason we were told. This town had a river running through underground and provided water and the weather was warm. It had a Myrtle Beach atmosphere.

We found some parts of New Mexico are beautiful.

I felt people of New Mexico had an elevated view of their importance. Not the most friendly place we have been.
Deming is a tourist town? Maybe for long haul truckers that have to stay the evening close to nearby Arizona due to federal travel restrictions for truck drivers going over state lines, but I can't imagine any other reason. The Great American Duck Race might bring out some tourists for a day, but that's about all I can see about Deming that would make it appealing for out of area tourists. Myrtle Beach and Deming should be antonyms, if anything. Myrtle Beach has an ocean, an ocean boulevard, a boardwalk, etc, and is a growing, thriving destination. Deming is landlocked and stagnating at 15,000 with no real jobs, or economic prosperity.

Old 11-06-2023, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
I refuse to say anything but the truth, and people need to know what is going on in NM.
Crime is high in many places, but not where I live... and I love ABQ. Never had any worries there, but I do believe some neighborhoods are off limits.

Old 11-07-2023, 12:17 PM

Here you go, StephenMM, New Jersey was ranked the safest state to live in. You should move there. May I suggest Camden?

Maine is also near the top.

Of the 10 safest states, 8 are in the Northeast. None are in the West.

Old 11-07-2023, 01:38 PM

10,988 posts, read 6,852,461 times
LOL, Camden. I'll take ABQ or all of New Mexico for that matter, over Camden!

I laughed out loud when I saw that Deming is a "tourist town." I've gone through there several times on my way to Texas and back, Alabama and back... no way is Deming a tourist town! I got off the interstate to get gas and couldn't really find good place (of course, this was 7 years ago). I doubt it's changed much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico