Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2023, 04:39 PM

16,070 posts, read 10,732,474 times

Advertisements

^^ Snowbirds are attracted to warmer winters than NM can offer (at least northern NM) but that's okay. The year-round high desert 4-season climate here is one of the best in the country thanks to low humidity and higher elevation. There are no 110-120 temperature days in northern New Mexico and it rarely reaches 110 along the southern border counties.

The economic/business climate and history in NM is complicated. We are becoming less dependent on Federal defense dollars and research and diversifying our economy. We were slow to come out of the last recession because we were so tied to Federal dollars that didn't bounce back. Meanwhile, the gas and oil boom is in full throttle. We could produce enough solar and wind energy for our needs and for other states but seem slow to push it. We are not wildly enthusiastic about doubling the population under current circumstances. We have a pretty stable population (grew 2.8% in the previous decade).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2023, 03:41 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
For tourism, check out the NM True videos. Here's a short one for Taos. One of the places here where you know you can only be in New Mexico. It is not Kansas, Nevada, Iowa, or New Jersey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZDkqqJjQFc
I don't understand this video. Too abstract for me, I guess.

Old 02-03-2023, 05:38 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,931,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayna2 View Post
California is far big from New Mexico and has more tourists attractions as compare to it. Although New Mexico is a cheaper destination then California. But New Mexico has a significant problems with roads and infrastructures. It is very hot had extreme summer conditions though with zero managements, poor schools as well and the major issue may the growing crime rate of New Mexico.
Those other three states have some dismal schools too.

Old 02-06-2023, 07:05 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,453,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
The big urban areas in AZ are warmer than NM. Winter highs in Phoenix/Tucson are in the 60s/70s. In Albuquerque/Santa Fe it's more like 40s/50s. People from New York, Chicago, Cleveland, Milwaukee..aren't going to flock anywhere for 40s/50s weather. People are willing to put up with a lot for warm winters, but you need a better reason to go somewhere with cooler winters. I mean think about it - even North Texas has warmer winter averages than Albuquerque and certainly Santa Fe, and of course naturally so do Houston and Austin.

But of course, climate isn't everything. Jobs matter more to people between 25 and 55. Texas and Arizona both have had mostly very pro-investment, pro-growth leaders. It's my impression that New Mexico hasn't been particularly eager to become a 'boom state'.

Insane that people would rather deal with 110s in the summer than 40s and 50s in winter

40s and 50s are my fav temps in MN. We have some of the prettiest scenery in those temps (spring blossoms and fall foliage). Light flannel weather. How on Earth people prefer an oven is beyond me.

You're right about NM not wanting to become a boom state. The people I met in Albuquerque made that clear. They're more in tune with the Indigenous/Mexican cultural blend and with the nature of the desert. My kinda crowd. They don't want the "wonders" that growing too much brings.

Old 02-07-2023, 02:17 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,393,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
First off, I have not been there so forgive me if this post seems ignorant. I got to thinking the other day, people talk so much about California, Arizona, and Texas but New Mexico seems left out. At least in my experience it seems you never hear about snowbirds going there, you never hear about people vacationing there, and you never hear about people moving to or from there?

Is it vastly different from the other three in some way? Or is it a well kept secret? I don't know if this seems vague or not, but it seems like it's not talked about much. Or am I just living under a rock?

I visited NM in 1985. Fell in love with what I witnessed and experienced over the course of 5 days. So much so that I sought employment there for various years. I was never able to find employment in my field. Regardless, I was fascinated by Albuquerque and surrounding areas. Shortly thereafter, some acquaintances moved from California to Santa Fe, NM and never looked back.

Arizona was rather hospitable back in the 80's. From what I gather, such is not the case anymore given several factors such as housing and water.

Texas? LOL! Been there twice. That was more than enough! I arrest my case and will apply my mom's philosophy, that is: "if you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing at all."

California is home sweet home. Love it here. Of course, like any state, there's always room for improvement. Between the 4 states, if I did not live in California, I'd move to NM.

Old 02-08-2023, 07:40 PM

2 posts, read 2,101 times
Just driving through New Mexico on I-40 is a bit boring. It's painfully flat, the road is straight, and it's exciting when you see a tree in the endless plateau. The further south you go, it just becomes hotter, drier, sandier, and, well, more boring. Their motto is "Land of Enchantment" but it is more like "Land of Nothingness." After all, most of the state is empty! I think that is why they tested the atomic bomb in New Mexico. The state is also poor and a lot of things look run down. I stopped at a rest area in New Mexico and the lobby was empty and all that worked was the toilet.
I'm not saying that all of New Mexico is like this. I'm sure there are some good spots in Albuquerque and it might be worth it to get into Santa Fe to learn some Spanish history. Up in Taos, I hear there is some cool skiing. Sure, there are some spots worth visiting. It seems like New Mexico got the leftovers, but there wasn't very much left.

Old 02-08-2023, 08:52 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,791,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhway314 View Post
Just driving through New Mexico on I-40 is a bit boring. It's painfully flat, the road is straight, and it's exciting when you see a tree in the endless plateau. The further south you go, it just becomes hotter, drier, sandier, and, well, more boring. Their motto is "Land of Enchantment" but it is more like "Land of Nothingness." After all, most of the state is empty! I think that is why they tested the atomic bomb in New Mexico. The state is also poor and a lot of things look run down. I stopped at a rest area in New Mexico and the lobby was empty and all that worked was the toilet.
I'm not saying that all of New Mexico is like this. I'm sure there are some good spots in Albuquerque and it might be worth it to get into Santa Fe to learn some Spanish history. Up in Taos, I hear there is some cool skiing. Sure, there are some spots worth visiting. It seems like New Mexico got the leftovers, but there wasn't very much left.
I would say the eastern third of I-40 is more uneventful than the rest of the freeway. But I think through Laguna Pueblo and over the Continental Divide, for an interstate, is quite scenic. Also, south of Albuquerque is the Gila Wilderness, and that's not sandy, hotter or drier. It's actually the largest forest in lower 48 states. The Sacramento Mountains have the southernmost ski lifts in the country. Sure, there are also hotter and drier areas, I live in Las Cruces and that would describe where I live. But this is a very large state, and I think very diversified. I concur with you on poverty. I would like nothing more than to see all boats lifted and have more prosperity. The only way to achieving that is increasing the private sector skilled job opportunities. Government jobs aren't the solution.

Old 02-08-2023, 11:37 PM

292 posts, read 725,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
The big urban areas in AZ are warmer than NM. Winter highs in Phoenix/Tucson are in the 60s/70s. In Albuquerque/Santa Fe it's more like 40s/50s. People from New York, Chicago, Cleveland, Milwaukee..aren't going to flock anywhere for 40s/50s weather. People are willing to put up with a lot for warm winters, but you need a better reason to go somewhere with cooler winters. I mean think about it - even North Texas has warmer winter averages than Albuquerque and certainly Santa Fe, and of course naturally so do Houston and Austin.

But of course, climate isn't everything. Jobs matter more to people between 25 and 55. Texas and Arizona both have had mostly very pro-investment, pro-growth leaders. It's my impression that New Mexico hasn't been particularly eager to become a 'boom state'.

New Mexico gets most of its revenue from Gross Receipts Tax, as opposed to a Sales Tax. This means you pay the gross as a percentage, then you pay the net gains. It's a pyramiding scheme, something that the State doesn't seem to understand. This makes it very arduous for businesses to get started in such an environment. They started doing this in the '60s because they wanted to be able to tax all businesses on federal land.

Old 02-09-2023, 08:41 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
The interesting thing about it is, that much of NM's charm is in the cultural sphere. Culture is invisible to people driving through. It's an intangible, but it enriches life tremendously. Think about that for awhile.

Old 02-09-2023, 09:21 AM

16,070 posts, read 10,732,474 times
Quote:
Just driving through New Mexico on I-40 is a bit boring. f.
If you think New Mexico is boring, you haven't seen Arizona.
Driving the interstate offers the easiest route through a state to facilitate transportation. If you have no curiosity about New Mexico, keep driving. If you take the time to get off the interstate, you might see something or learn something. There is a reason why artists. writers, photographers, and film makers flock to New Mexico.

New Mexico will still be here on your way back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico