Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2012, 12:54 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,756,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaosWoman View Post
As far as WHY anyone would want to pull an RV out there...to each his own. I like to just sit there and have peace and quiet and look out at the mountains. I have couple of lots near Taos as well. I go there in the summer when it is too hot every where else...I just like to run away every now and then.. and I like to be sitting on my own property when I do it!
Not a bad idea!

Carson mesa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 09:38 AM

1 posts, read 2,768 times
I am a licensed California building contractor. I have a half acre in the Rio Grande Estates (handed down from my father who purchased it in the mid 60's for $200.00). I called the city development department a year ago and inquired about building on the lot. I told them I have a half acre and would like to know what is and is not allowable regarding buildings on the property. They said if you can build a self sustaining house on your land it is permissible but will take a number of hoops to jump through, and a long line of red tape to overcome. So if you have solar or wind powered electricity, and a water well (expensive to drill), and put in a septic system, you can use propane for cooking/heat, etc. They don't allow mobile homes on the lots, but manufactured housing is permissible, according to the agent I spoke to last year. NOTE: The only road leading into the estates is a one lane dirt road.

I visited the property in 1999, while I admit it was disappointing to see just how much "nothingness" is in that vast, empty plat, some residential building was going on in the surrounding and adjoining areas. I also learned after visiting a couple of local realty companies, a developer has been buying up the tax defaults for pennies. Most people have owned these lots for over 45 years and became disenchanted with the lack of value increases over the years, so they abandon them. I have not checked prices at which they may be currently selling for, but the value of my land has not gone up enough for me to get excited over (stalled at around $300-$400 per half acre), nor has the tax bill ($5.00 a year).

I took away a clue from the fact that some person(s), thinks enough to buy up the tax defaults in numbers large enough to eventually warrant utilities at some time in the future. How long that may take is anybody's guess, nonetheless, the possibility is real and growing closer with each default bought.

It makes sense that as soon as this developer amasses enough properties for it to pay off (bringing utilities to the area is prohibitive for individual lot owners), the building will begin, unleashing a buying frenzy in that community--shooting up the land values.

There is a golf course just down the two-lane highway by a couple of miles, and the new homes I eluded to above were being built just off that highway--directly in line with, but not in the Rio Grande Estates proper.

I hope this has been helpful....

MAC

Old 11-11-2012, 08:18 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,756,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foren6guy View Post
I am a licensed California building contractor. I have a half acre in the Rio Grande Estates (handed down from my father who purchased it in the mid 60's for $200.00). I called the city development department a year ago and inquired about building on the lot. I told them I have a half acre and would like to know what is and is not allowable regarding buildings on the property. They said if you can build a self sustaining house on your land it is permissible but will take a number of hoops to jump through, and a long line of red tape to overcome. So if you have solar or wind powered electricity, and a water well (expensive to drill), and put in a septic system, you can use propane for cooking/heat, etc. They don't allow mobile homes on the lots, but manufactured housing is permissible, according to the agent I spoke to last year. NOTE: The only road leading into the estates is a one lane dirt road.

I visited the property in 1999, while I admit it was disappointing to see just how much "nothingness" is in that vast, empty plat, some residential building was going on in the surrounding and adjoining areas. I also learned after visiting a couple of local realty companies, a developer has been buying up the tax defaults for pennies. Most people have owned these lots for over 45 years and became disenchanted with the lack of value increases over the years, so they abandon them. I have not checked prices at which they may be currently selling for, but the value of my land has not gone up enough for me to get excited over (stalled at around $300-$400 per half acre), nor has the tax bill ($5.00 a year).

I took away a clue from the fact that some person(s), thinks enough to buy up the tax defaults in numbers large enough to eventually warrant utilities at some time in the future. How long that may take is anybody's guess, nonetheless, the possibility is real and growing closer with each default bought.

It makes sense that as soon as this developer amasses enough properties for it to pay off (bringing utilities to the area is prohibitive for individual lot owners), the building will begin, unleashing a buying frenzy in that community--shooting up the land values.

There is a golf course just down the two-lane highway by a couple of miles, and the new homes I eluded to above were being built just off that highway--directly in line with, but not in the Rio Grande Estates proper.

I hope this has been helpful....

MAC
What about catchment?

Here's the original 1960's ad:
https://sites.google.com/site/socorr...de-estates-faq

Old 11-11-2012, 12:01 PM

471 posts, read 977,859 times
What would stimulate the place is for some type of steady employment to be in the Belen area, and I don't mean some types of high skill jobs that most people here couldn't get. Also, if they would allow mobile homes, more people would be tempted to maybe try something in R.G.Estates. I have walked through the areas many times, and while the land is better than the nearby rio del oro lots, the land is still rough and more suited to the hermit types or off the grid. If the county is hoping for an expensive subdivision to be built so they can rake in the taxes, that is not going to happen any time soon and they need to revisit letting people go there and live the way they want, just to maybe get some electric lines in place and to give the land some life.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:34 PM

2 posts, read 5,429 times
I am laughing because that same salesman got ahold of my Grandparents in Long Island as well. Still paying the taxes in hopes of someone getting their act together and developing "Rio Grande Estates!"

Fingers crossed!

Old 11-24-2012, 06:43 PM

2 posts, read 5,429 times
Let's all keep in touch with new information about the land. I agree with Bongo that this person buying up lots may develop so let"s hang in there.

I am hoping to take a trip out there at some point to see the vast nothingness and collect some data.

Best,
REL

Old 11-25-2012, 04:30 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryCarr View Post
What would stimulate the place is for some type of steady employment to be in the Belen area, and I don't mean some types of high skill jobs that most people here couldn't get. Also, if they would allow mobile homes, more people would be tempted to maybe try something in R.G.Estates. I have walked through the areas many times, and while the land is better than the nearby rio del oro lots, the land is still rough and more suited to the hermit types or off the grid. If the county is hoping for an expensive subdivision to be built so they can rake in the taxes, that is not going to happen any time soon and they need to revisit letting people go there and live the way they want, just to maybe get some electric lines in place and to give the land some life.
Please, no, don't let the people live the way they want: there is too much of that in the area already, this is one reason we choose to relocate out of the Valencia county area.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:34 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizDenver View Post
I am laughing because that same salesman got ahold of my Grandparents in Long Island as well. Still paying the taxes in hopes of someone getting their act together and developing "Rio Grande Estates!"

Fingers crossed!
and they got us back in the early 70s. We had a lot in Rio Grande and 3 in Rio Coummunities. Luckily we have been able to dump them for very little money, but something anyway. The only good thing that came out of it was, we found Belen, NM and lived there, after retirement for 7 years. NM has a lot of positive things to offer. The sad part about the lots, like your grandparents, we had hoped to sell them and help put our kids through colledge, well, we now have grandkids who are through college and we certainly never used the vacant land to put them through...

Old 08-18-2013, 12:28 PM

2 posts, read 5,393 times
Default Rio Land

I have read almost every newsletter for the past 20 years and they continue to hang on to this space station. Will that really happen and will it help?

Old 09-22-2013, 01:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,413 times
Default Land for sale?

I'm looking for a couple of lots if anyone is interested in selling. I need a place to park an RV for a month or so. I seen and acre for $1000 on ebay. I'm short on funds and could pay $500. Please let me know if you have something to sell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico