Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 11:21 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,892,706 times

Advertisements

I am going to make posole and green chile stew this weekend! yummmm....

Sounds good to me! Since I can't find dried posole (except online to order), I often use canned hominy. The dried posole is much better!

Enjoy!!

Thanks for the frybread recipe. Is it like sopapillas??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2006, 01:58 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,034,833 times
Cathy,

Yes, the dough is very similar to sopapilla dough. I think the difference is mostly in the way the dough is shaped. Fry bread dough is in larger sizes, a little thicker, and the hole poked in the center causes the bread to fry in the center, and be flatter and not puffy like the sopapillas.

Old 11-22-2006, 03:52 PM

Thanks, Towanda...I'll have to try it one day.

Old 11-22-2006, 10:54 PM

827 posts, read 5,082,809 times
Cathy, looks like a great Posole recipe! I may try it when family comes down this weeked. Also I am going to try the bean recipe. YUM! Thanks!
Towanda, I like the fry bread recipe. It is a favorite in the Four Corners region. I know a lady who dips it in butter and then spreads chocolate frosting on them. Talk about fattening! Pretty yummy though!
Thanks for sharing!

I found a HOT chili recipe. This is only for those who like hot fire chili. If you follow the 6habaneros called for, know it feels like your mouth is on fire. I have to reduce it to two habaneros for myself and it is still hot!

Habanero Heckfire Chili -actually has another name but this website blanks out adult words, so I use the alternative.

INGREDIENTS
1/4 pound bacon
1/2 pound ground round
1/2 pound ground pork
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
1/2 yellow onion, diced
3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
3 habanero peppers, seeded and chopped
4 Anaheim peppers, seeded and diced
1 clove garlic, minced
2-1/4 teaspoons ground cumin
1-1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
1/2 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 (16 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, drained
1 (16 ounce) can chili beans, drained
1/2 (12 fluid ounce) can beer
1-1/2 ounces tomato paste
1/2 ounce chile paste
1 cup water

DIRECTIONS
Place bacon in a large soup pot. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain excess grease, leaving enough to coat bottom of pot Remove bacon, drain on paper towels and chop.

Brown beef and pork in pot over medium high heat. When meat is browned, stir in the bell pepper, onion, jalapeno peppers, habanero peppers, Anaheim peppers, garlic, cumin, red pepper flakes, chili powder, bouillon, crushed tomatoes, whole tomatoes, beer, tomato paste, chile paste and water.

Reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 to 60 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add beans and bacon and continue simmering for another 30 minutes. Serves at least 4.

My notes:
Wear gloves when handling habanero peppers! I reduce the habaneros to two. That is enough for me! For those who don't eat pork, simply eliminate the pork and bacon and increase the ground round to one pound. I have used kidney beans in place of chili beans too. I vary the ingredients as well to fit my tastes, feel free to do the same! Enjoy!
Oh and have water readily available, you are going to need it! The name fits it!

I got this one from allrecipes, a great place for recipes.

Last edited by Crackerjack; 11-23-2006 at 12:08 AM..

Old 11-23-2006, 09:43 PM

13 posts, read 35,861 times
Hey all,
What a great & yummy thread! Here's one you might want to try for breakfast (I love these & the hotter the better!):

"Huevos Rancheros"
(First, choose a favorite chile, like jalapeno, poblano, habanero, etc):

1 tbsp oil
1 chile chopped (remove seeds by cutting top & then rinse)
1/4 spanish onion chopped
1/2 tomato chopped
2 eggs
salt/pepper to taste

Pour oil into a heated fry-pan. Add chopped chile, onion & tomatoes to pan and saute' until onions are translucent, stirring frequently. Add in the eggs & fry for "easy-over" eggs. Add salt & pepper to taste. You can increase or decrease the amounts of chile, onions & tomatoes to taste. Enjoy this with some hot off-the-grill corn tortillas & a glass of Jugo de Mango (juice). Serves 1. Enjoy!

Old 11-23-2006, 10:51 PM

The Huevos Rancheros sounds great! I am going to try that one. I love food spicy like that, even for breakfast, I guess it is the New Mexican in me! Thanks for the recipe 1hottamale!

Old 11-24-2006, 08:58 AM

CJ, that is one HOT chili....even ONE habanero would make it too hot for most people!!

Looks good, too.....mmmmmm!!!

Old 11-24-2006, 09:01 AM

I love huevos rancheros any time!!! This one looks good, too!

Thanks for sharing!

Old 11-24-2006, 11:27 PM

Yes Cathy, it is as hot as a firecracker that is for sure. I think I am able to eat it because growing up in NM eating hot peppers, chilis, etc. everyday along with the other NM staples of onions and garlic, I think I am used to hot and spicy, but if someone thinks the hot chili sold in the stores is too hot, then it definitely will be too hot for them. I can't imagine though putting 3 habaneros in chili. That is what that recipe calls for though. I only put in two and the ones I put in it are small in size. I wonder if they have cast iron stomachs?

Last edited by Crackerjack; 11-24-2006 at 11:37 PM..

Old 11-25-2006, 06:35 AM

I wonder if they have cast iron stomachs?

Probably!!! LOL!!

I love hot and spicy.....always have, but what is weird......?

I can eat habaneros, chiltepines and most hot chiles, but I cannot stand NM Barker's green pods!! They have the rankest taste unless they are red. But I like Barker's ground red chile....so go figure..?

My two favorite NM green varieties are NuMex 6-4 and Sandía.

For ground red, Chimayó and the aforementioned.

Which varieties do you like??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico