Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 10:39 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,161,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinndee View Post
Was this the zoning set in the 1970s when (I believe) most of the lots were sold, or did this zoning rule come afterwards? I wonder if there is any "grandfather" ruling that would overturn this??
Zoning and state building codes mean little in those areas of the state that have little to no enforcement. The state code for liquid wasted disposal is quite extensive and complicated, with various waivers and ambiguities.

Grandfathering only applies to pre-existing disposal systems - not to something being built after the laws take effect. Latest revision to NM state law dates from 2013, with further revisions under consideration for 2014.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 09:42 PM

7 posts, read 23,822 times
I've been doing some more digging.

Now I've discovered a Trust Fund was set up to pay everyone back ...

Quote:
In 1981, after nearly six years of hearings and appeals, Horizon
aquiesced to an FTC ruling ordering the company to cease and desist the
alleged deceptive practices and to pay back $ 14.5 million to some 38,000
buyers of Horizon lots. Horizon agreed to pay the money into a trust fund
in six annual installments of $ 2.4 million each.
Quoted from >>> http://www.jailhurwitz.com/cronies/C..._Horizon-2.txt

Does anyone have information on this Trust Fund?

Old 09-22-2014, 07:20 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,161,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinndee View Post
I've been doing some more digging.

Now I've discovered a Trust Fund was set up to pay everyone back ...

Quoted from >>> http://www.jailhurwitz.com/cronies/C..._Horizon-2.txt

Does anyone have information on this Trust Fund?
The article on the "trust fund" is dated 1985! Hardly relevant to the years of continuing development schemes since then. The article also states:

Quote:
... that sum represented only about 12 percent of the total revenues received by Horizon for the properties over the years...
Meaning, apparently, that the trust fund was never intended to be enough to "pay everyone back."

Horizon Corp. is just one of the many players in the land scam game. At least one developer - Dell Webb Corp. - seems to have made an honest effort to actually do what was promised.

The more recent 2011 article in the El Paso Times addresses mostly the Horizon City properties east of El Paso, which is just one of the huge tracts of land in several states originally owned by Horizon Corp.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:18 PM

1 posts, read 3,696 times
I remember this refund. My mom bought two lots in trust and I recall having to sign some form and return it but I don't think she ever got any money. I paid the assessment fees up till a few years ago but now I'm not sure it was worth it. Personally, I don't feel comfortable selling the property to someone unless they know what they're getting. For years I got notices from land sellers offering to buy the property but they smacked of another horizon corp, but selling to overseas ("buy land in america" type deal). I guess I could sell it on ebay but then again I would feel guilty if it was some land speculator using the same scam as before. Some day I'll probably let the taxes lapse and then somebody will be able to grab it for nothing and without having done anything for it.

As far as I can tell, my property is just a few hundred feet from miras villas but there's absolutely no development anywhere around there. I suspect that a lot of owners are in the same situation that I am. You don't own enough land to make it worthwhile to do anything with. If the land owners could group together in an association, the land might be worth more. I would be willing to set up a web site to bring owners together but I have no idea how to get them to the site. I'm not sure how to get ownership records but I'm sure I can't afford to contact them by mail directly. So unless a developer comes in that is willing to deal with so many owners, I doubt the land will ever be worth anything, no matter how many years pass.

BTW, if anybody is interested (not sure why though), I still have all of the original maps, documentation, contract, etc. my mom got when she bought the property.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:21 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,305,887 times
How about donating it as forever open space? Where no development will ever take place?

I love the vast solitude of Rio Grande Estates and it would be great if it stayed like that forever.

Old 03-21-2015, 06:24 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,768,722 times
OP - I suggest visiting the county offices and obtaining maps of the properties. Then drive out to find and look at them. You will learn more that way than by dozens of posts.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,942 times
Default Wow, just wow

Growing up, I always knew my parents owned land in New Mexico. I even remember bragging about this to my friends. My Dad always spoke of phone calls about "interested parties" who wanted to purchase the land. When I asked if he would sell it, he would always reply, "When they offer me the right amount!". My parents purchased this land in 1972 or 73. I guess they purchased it as an investment, and thought real estate would be a great way to have something to retire on. As I got older, and still had no idea what they truly owned, I would ask my dad, why don't you just sell it. Get rid of it. He would always remark about how cheap the taxes were, and it was not a financial burden to them, it was a future payday.

My dad recently passed away. I am trying to help my mom settle his estate, and that led me to this forum, and many other articles about the Rio Del Oro Subdivision. Makes me sick to my stomach to think that people could take advantage of our parents the way they did, I don't know if there is anyone still seeing these post, but have yall had any luck selling any lots?

Old 08-09-2015, 01:49 PM

471 posts, read 977,129 times
Look up on the NM state site right now for delinquent tax property sales (Welcome to New Mexico Taxation & Revenue Department - NM Taxation and Revenue Department) there is a list by county as to what and when the auctions are. Currently there are two separate auctions scheduled for Valencia County. If you click on either one of them, you will find that every single one of the 457 properties being sold are lots in Rio Del Oro, all owned by the same person. opening bid on every property is $200.

Old 08-09-2015, 02:05 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,754,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryCarr View Post
Look up on the NM state site right now for delinquent tax property sales (Welcome to New Mexico Taxation & Revenue Department - NM Taxation and Revenue Department) there is a list by county as to what and when the auctions are. Currently there are two separate auctions scheduled for Valencia County. If you click on either one of them, you will find that every single one of the 457 properties being sold are lots in Rio Del Oro, all owned by the same person. opening bid on every property is $200.
This page works easier for me: Delinquent Property Tax

Old 01-27-2016, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 2,523 times
Default Internet Service In Rio Del Oro New Mexico

Does anyone know if you can use the internet in Rio Del Oro New Mexico, or can you use your phone there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico