Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 07:45 AM

41 posts, read 110,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caydriver View Post
TX, when you and your wife come to the area send me a PM. Can show you around Capitan.
Thanks...We would appreciate that. I've only been through there a couple of times. I have not ventured up that way since I was a kid and my wife's never been up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
You'll see when you get there.

Some parts have very steep narrow roads (you'll hate that in the winter) small lots, and tend to be rundown. Use google-maps streetview to get a better idea of what the areas look like.

I don't think the steep, narrow roads would be as big of a problem for me but my wife would hate it. She'll be there a week with just her and our son while I'm gone to the rig. I greatly appreciate all the help and I can't wait to see all of ya'll around town soon. Any of ya'll ever hit the slopes?

Wow...I just used the google maps streetview and it pulled up the exact address and gave me a great view of what I may be in store for. Thanks rruff!

Old 08-12-2009, 07:58 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,922,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txroughneck View Post
In my search for houses I have come across a few that we may like to look at if they are still on the market when we get there. Someone told me to kinda stay away from the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th streets. Not sure why this is since it looks like it may be in a good location relating to town. It seems that it may be an older area. Would this be the only reason? It would help if you live in or know someone that lives in that area. If not, just any info that you have would be great. Thanks
That area was first developed in the 1920s when people built SUMMER cabins that didn't need insulation. My grandfather built a cabin on 2nd street in 1930 which is still owned by my youngest sister. Like many of the homes in the area, it has been winterized. And it's unfair to call this a "rundown" neighborhood. It is "quaint" due to the fact that it's a mixture of the older rough wood sided cabins and more recent constructions. On 2nd street there is a row of houses built in the past few years that are of contemporary design - stucco siding.

There are many people living year around in some of the oldest homes in the Wingfield Estates and Pine Lodge neighborhoods - meaning that those homes have been renovated and upgraded to make them habitable year around. Prices are going to be more variable than in some of the other areas of town.

Ponderosa Heights and Paradise Canyon are arguably the rattiest neighborhoods in the village. Ponderosa Heights was developed originally with very small lots intended for house trailers!! And because house trailers were allowed, they can still be installed on lots there - with all that implies. There are current listings for these "houses" that are in the $50-60K range. Many of the original trailers have been re-sided and re-roofed to disquise the fact they are still single-wide trailers. Others have had rooms and porches added to them, but the old trailer remains at the core of the structure.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:12 AM

Thanks jaxart. I have noticed the amount of "mobile" or "modular" homes in the area...even the ones in "disquise". We are actually looking for a little older home close to town so that my wife doesn't feel so deserted in the middle of winter. There is just so many homes on the market to choose from. It kinda makes it too easy.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:59 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,922,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txroughneck View Post
Thanks jaxart. I have noticed the amount of "mobile" or "modular" homes in the area...even the ones in "disquise". We are actually looking for a little older home close to town so that my wife doesn't feel so deserted in the middle of winter. There is just so many homes on the market to choose from. It kinda makes it too easy.
I'm not sure what "deserted" means to your wife? It's definitely an adjustment moving here from somewhere like Austin, where there is such a vibrant culture (variety being the spice of life!).

Depending on what you can afford, the most centrally located homes are in the area bounded by Mechem Drive on the west, White Mountain Drive on the north, Hull road on the east, and Sudderth on the south. This area developed beginning around 1960 and continues to have new homes constructed today. Within those boundaries are two grocery stores, the only movie theater in the area, two public golf courses (playable in winter some too), public library, county health offices, village hall, village police station, main post office and a variety of other businesses lining Mechem drive that cater more to the local residents than tourists. Most of the properties are very accessible - meaning relatively flat access.

Just to the north of White Mountain Drive - still bounded by Mechem and Hull Road, is the White Mountain subdivision and several others that get into more sloping streets and much newer homes, but still a good price variety and fairly good winter access - depending.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:04 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,254,547 times
I like Ponderosa Heights a lot. Sure there are some single and double wides but there are also some million dollar homes in the area The house just across the street from us recently sold for just under $200,000 (2 bd, 2 bath). It was probably built in the 60's or early 70's. Our house was built in 1996 and view from our porch is just beautiful. We have a single wide next to us, but that doesn't bother me one bit. It is a very quiet neighborhood and close to everything, except Wal-Mart which I try to stay away from as much as possible anyway.

There are plenty of beautiful places to chose from. Just don't be in a hurry. Find what works best for you.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:44 PM

5,668 posts, read 6,611,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
Depending on what you can afford, the most centrally located homes are in the area bounded by Mechem Drive on the west, White Mountain Drive on the north, Hull road on the east, and Sudderth on the south. This area developed beginning around 1960 and continues to have new homes constructed today. Within those boundaries are two grocery stores, the only movie theater in the area, two public golf courses (playable in winter some too), public library, county health offices, village hall, village police station, main post office and a variety of other businesses lining Mechem drive that cater more to the local residents than tourists. Most of the properties are very accessible - meaning relatively flat access.
I think that is a good territory to check out as well.

I actually like the "rundown" parts (ie not ritzy, small, maybe some trailers, junk in the yard) since it suits me well enough. Steep access roads though, I can't abide. They are very annoying as well as dangerous in the winter when there is snow and ice. Much of Ponderosa Heights (west side of Mechem) and the Upper Canyon area are like that, and there are roads all around town that are impossible to drive on at times. Before you settle on a place, check your access routes.

One thing that is good to consider also IMO, is how much winter sun you will get. Good sun in the winter will melt the snow and warm the house. Avoid steeper north facing slopes... south facing slopes with few obstructions are best.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,860 times
I'm 44 and have been going to Ruidoso regularly since I was 4. We have never owned a cabin there, we always use a Prop Mgmt company or owner. For the past 7 yrs we've used Condotel. I am a realtor and I also know the Ruidoso area like the back of my hand, and after dealing with just about every Prop Mgmt company there, they are the best. Don't go by the total amount on their website when it calculates it for you. Call and talk to Susie. They always give us GREAT deals, and this summer we wanted a cabin, told them what we wanted to pay for it, they contacted the owner, and the owner said 'SURE!', even though it was MUCH lower than what they usually got for it. Remember, owners would much rather their cabin be rented and get SOMETHING as opposed to it being empty, so look at it as a negotiating thing. Anyway, if you want any Ruidoso info or cabin info feel free to holler. I'm in the process of moving there as soon as I find a job there...will be my dream! Good luck! [email]shan0721@aol.com[/email]

Old 09-08-2009, 05:09 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,254,547 times
Yes Riker and Cindi are the best! They have been our property managers since we bought our cabin in February 2007. They take real good care of us and our property. We have a place in Ponderosa Heights not too far from the traffic circle.

JD's Treehouse

Old 09-09-2009, 10:26 AM

39 posts, read 98,905 times
Hey txroughneck, I live in Austin also, born in Killeen and have been in Austin for 9 years now. I am planning to move to New Mexico by 2011. I will be going to Counseling/Art Therapy school at Southwestern College in Santa Fe. After I get my degree and license, I am not sure where I will live. Santa Fe is so expensive.

When I was young (2 years old), we lived in Edgewood (outside of Albuquerque) and I've traveled throughout New Mexico since then. I have 2 aunts near Albuquerque, that's the city I am most familiar with, and I like it there well enough, but I'd rather be somewhere more remote. But affordability is also a concern.... as will be living somewhere I can make a living doing Art Therapy/Counseling. My mother likes to scare me by telling me that it's not easy to find a job in New Mexico. I've also considered keeping our house in Austin, and splitting time between Austin and NM. My fiancee has a fairly well-paying job right now, and he might have an option to telecommute, but at some point he wants to teach history. We have to balance a whole lot of things when considering moving to NM. But I know my heart won't feel full until I'm there!

Best of luck to you on the move!

namaste,
Jocelyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico