Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 12:27 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,693,874 times

Advertisements

I'm no fan of Bloomberg, even though I'll admit and I did vote for him - once.

But after listening to Bloomberg at the convention, I was thinking about the two of them, and thinking that Bloomberg must really grate on Trump. Because Bloomberg is closer to the real thing, what Trump imagines himself to be. I may not like Bloomberg, but I have to admit that he's mostly calmly unflappable, articulate even if not eloquent, has specific ideas about benefitting the public without benefitting himself, and is certainly more cultured, with a genuine interest in the arts, to which he donates generally.

It must kill Trump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 12:30 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,996,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post

But after listening to Bloomberg at the convention, I was thinking about the two of them, and thinking that Bloomberg must really grate on Trump. Because Bloomberg is closer to the real thing, what Trump imagines himself to be. I may not like Bloomberg, but I have to admit that he's mostly calmly unflappable, articulate even if not eloquent, has specific ideas about benefitting the public without benefitting himself, and is certainly more cultured, with a genuine interest in the arts, to which he donates generally.

It must kill Trump.
Bloomberg is more educated. BA from John Hopkins, and MBA from Harvard.

Bloomberg's legacy, for better or worse has left permanent marks on NYC in ways that former mayor Giuliani or even Trump himself can only dream of.

Old 08-07-2016, 01:17 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,693,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Bloomberg is more educated. BA from John Hopkins, and MBA from Harvard.

Bloomberg's legacy, for better or worse has left permanent marks on NYC in ways that former mayor Giuliani or even Trump himself can only dream of.
Au contraire. I'm sure that a Trump presidency would leave permanent marks that would eclipse those of most politicians - in ways that are horrifying to contemplate.

Old 08-07-2016, 04:57 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,061,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post

It must kill Trump.
Trump and Bloomberg never really got along. Trump wanted Bloomberg to put money up for veterans and we're at odds about this. Trump only put up 10k dollars from what I remember. Bloomberg put nothing. Lesson learned, don't vote for billionaire. Locally or federally.

Old 08-07-2016, 05:40 PM

30,655 posts, read 18,269,220 times
Bloomberg and Trumped have wined/dined and golfed together: Trump and Bloomberg: Old friends no more? | TheHill

As a New Yorker who "knows" a con artist when he sees one, did he realize that Trump was a con when he'd socialize with him earlier? Or did he just not care? I'd appreciate the criticism more if it was coming from someone other than Bloomberg.

Old 08-07-2016, 05:45 PM

769 posts, read 1,015,994 times
Trump doesn't even want to be president.

This is all a marketing campaign to build up the Trump brand for his children, to build up their real estate empire and obtain contracts for more reality tv shows, books, films etc..

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if he concedes the campaign to Crooked Hillary, the same way the John Kerry did to George Bush.

Old 08-07-2016, 05:53 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,554,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Bloomberg and Trumped have wined/dined and golfed together: Trump and Bloomberg: Old friends no more? | TheHill

As a New Yorker who "knows" a con artist when he sees one, did he realize that Trump was a con when he'd socialize with him earlier? Or did he just not care? I'd appreciate the criticism more if it was coming from someone other than Bloomberg.
Has Bloomberg actually ever called Trump a friend? I would imagine that business leaders and politicians in New York all run in the same circles, but I don't think that necessarily makes them all friends.

Trump calling Bloomberg his friend doesn't count, since Trump will claim that anyone who's appeared in a photo with him is a great friend and supporter.

Old 08-07-2016, 08:47 PM

30,655 posts, read 18,269,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Has Bloomberg actually ever called Trump a friend? I would imagine that business leaders and politicians in New York all run in the same circles, but I don't think that necessarily makes them all friends.

Trump calling Bloomberg his friend doesn't count, since Trump will claim that anyone who's appeared in a photo with him is a great friend and supporter.
But I bet Bloomberg wouldn't wine/dine/golf with Trump now, in part due to his ability to "know a crook when he sees one." That's where I have a problem with his saying what he said. Moreover, based on your note, Bloomberg would have admittedly been doing business with a "crook," which is not something that someone with integrity (and Bloomberg is making it appear that he has integrity/decency) does; that's why his remarks are empty to me. Its fine to say that "business is business." But if you're going to have that approach, don't then come out on national TV trying to make it appear that you're holier than thou.

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 08-07-2016 at 09:00 PM..

Old 08-07-2016, 10:34 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,554,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
But I bet Bloomberg wouldn't wine/dine/golf with Trump now, in part due to his ability to "know a crook when he sees one." That's where I have a problem with his saying what he said. Moreover, based on your note, Bloomberg would have admittedly been doing business with a "crook," which is not something that someone with integrity (and Bloomberg is making it appear that he has integrity/decency) does; that's why his remarks are empty to me. Its fine to say that "business is business." But if you're going to have that approach, don't then come out on national TV trying to make it appear that you're holier than thou.
If anything, Bloomberg claims to be a pragmatist rather than an idealist... I don't think Bloomberg has ever tried to come off as perfect. He's willing to work with someone like Trump because as you said "business is business" and Bloomberg is savvy enough to protect himself and his projects.

However, the whole point of his speech was that what Trump has done (fraud, ripping off consumers and bailing on your shareholders) is NOT "business is business", and American voters (most of whom are not savvy businessmen) need to understand that things like serial bankruptcies and refusing to pay vendors what you owe, are not how a business should operate.

It's also likely that Bloomberg doesn't think that Trump the businessman was as dangerous as Trump the President might be. With Donald Trump the businessman, the potential damage is mostly limited to those willing to work with him or buy his shtick. With Donald Trump the President, he can make things much, much worse on a national and global scale.

Last edited by Mr. Zero; 08-07-2016 at 11:12 PM..

Old 08-07-2016, 10:58 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,061,070 times
Trump is not going to win by a long shot. Hillary is chosen by the wall Street establishment which it includes folks like Mike Bloomberg and company. Establishment know Donald Trump very well, and folks who are part of the establishment have been screwed over by Trump over the years. 2016 elections have already been decided already. Thank goodness I'm not voting this time around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City