Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 04:34 PM

4 posts, read 55,251 times

Advertisements

i am currently living in a studio apartment in an nycha development it is me and my boyfriend (they do not know he lives with me), i would like to add him to the lease but they told me we needed to be married, i am not to sure on how true that is. the reason i need a transfer is because i am 7 months pregnant and soon it will be the 3 of us crammed into this very small place, i refuse to deny my baby any space she needs or any necessities like a walker and swing and all those great things a baby should have because housing plans on making it difficult for me to be transferred..anytime i have asked my housing managers they always tell me that dealing with transfers isn't there department, they never suggest anything so tomorrow i am going to the main building on 125th and 8th to speak with someone.

So my questions are, does anyone know how long it will take until i will possibly be transferred to a one b/r (which is what i expect since my hubby isnt on the lease and my baby is just a baby not a child.)?

and does anyone know of any wrenches housing could possibly throw in my face or any reason they would refuse to transfer for me?

thank u so much!!

Old 10-01-2009, 05:21 PM

477 posts, read 1,406,710 times
I can't help you with the procedure for transfer, but I do know that when my Aunt wanted to add my Uncle to the lease even after they got married, they were given a hard time (they have a rent controlled apartment). I'm pretty sure if you aren't married that its not going to be easy, but hopefully things have changed and it won't be as bad as it used to be.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:40 PM

19 posts, read 109,706 times
First and foremost, if you admit your boyfriend is living with you, you are screwed! Read your HAP contract, you are violating the contract agreement by having someone live with you who is not on the lease. You run the risk of loosing everything. Honestly, stay with what you have deal with it, and be happy. In todays world the city and the federal govt wants to take these programs away sooner or later. My 2 cents. Read your HAP contract. Good Luck

Old 10-01-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPERSUPRA View Post
First and foremost, if you admit your boyfriend is living with you, you are screwed! Read your HAP contract, you are violating the contract agreement by having someone live with you who is not on the lease. You run the risk of loosing everything. Honestly, stay with what you have deal with it, and be happy. In todays world the city and the federal govt wants to take these programs away sooner or later. My 2 cents. Read your HAP contract. Good Luck
..no i wouldnt admit to them, he was here...when i go in for the transfer tomorrow i am not mentioning him and i am not dealing with it, why should i? lol...they are suppose to transfer me, there are guidelines they need to follow as well as far as the total occupancy one apartment has.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:44 PM

I am putting in for a transfer for me and my daughter.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:53 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,399,620 times
The Housing Authority is in no rush to meet your needs. They have so many requests that it could take years. My sister, who no longer had three children at home, sought a smaller apartment. It took her almost two years to get a studio. You would've thought they would've accomodated her quicker--just to give a larger apt to a bigger family. Just like the "City", everything is done on their time.

i refuse to deny my baby any space she needs or any necessities like a walker and swing and all those great things a baby should have because housing plans on making it difficult for me to be transferred.. This quote is something? If you would've planned better--your circumstances would be different. How about the baby father's providing a place where his daughter could grow? Why must the GOVERNMENT meet your needs. I'm not knocking those in public housing, but sometime one must help themselves--including my lazy sister.

Good luck!

Old 10-02-2009, 01:10 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Yeah I was with her until that quote.

If you "refuse to deny your baby anything", then YOU should change the situation by getting child support, getting a 2nd job, etc. It's not the Housing Authority's job to take care of your child.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:35 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn_QueenBee View Post

i refuse to deny my baby any space she needs or any necessities like a walker and swing and all those great things a baby should have because housing plans on making it difficult for me to be transferred..

If you arent putting your boyfriend on why would they transfere you. And itsnt it a little soon to be thinking about a walker? Newborns don't walk. My father was laid off 2 weeks after I was born and needless to say the least of my mothers problems were buying walkers and swings it was more like food and diapers! How will you afford such things anyways? You are in government housing but you had money for that kind of things. I don't know I feel like people chose to be pregnant so why should the government have to support their poor planning...

Old 10-02-2009, 05:38 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,553,840 times
I highly doubt Housing will upgrade you to a 1 bedroom apartment with a newborn on the way, especially if you decide not to include your BF on the lease. I have never heard that they don't accept non-family members on the lease. All your development's management can do regarding transfers is give you the transfer paper for you to fill out and sign it off and from there they'll send it to the people who are in charge of such.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:46 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Housing wont do an upgrade until after your baby is born. They wont never add signficant other until you two are officially married and even if married its still hell with housing management to show proof of marriage to add your signficant other to the lease. Housing also take a while to do transfers aswell sometimes they may never get to it because the transfers papers get lost in bureaucratic mess of NYCHA these days. As a parent its your job to provide a better living for your child and not the government, the government can only help with thier programs such as wic, section 8 and welfare. Dont wait to transfer, just let your signficant other find a place for you and your bundle of joy, thats if hes finiancialy stable or some sort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City