Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What City Grows the most?
Rochester 10 27.03%
Syracuse 7 18.92%
Buffalo 6 16.22%
Utica 1 2.70%
Elmira 2 5.41%
Binghamton 1 2.70%
Jamestown 0 0%
Ithaca 2 5.41%
Albany 9 24.32%
Other 4 10.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 12:51 AM

17 posts, read 72,738 times

Advertisements

i just saw something like this in another state forum, so what u think will change in upstate ny in 10 yrs? wich city's will boom, an wich ones will die down.....

i think ithaca, an tompkins county is gonna grow alot, there prolly gonna consolidate the city, an town of ithaca in a few yrs. wich will raise the population to around 60,000... that will be bigger than binghamtons pop. of course binghamton is much more dense with the whole tri-citie thing they got going on.... it seems like every other month ithaca is planning for some new, apartments. so i think ithaca will prolly become, more dense too.... the biggest i think ithaca could ever get would be like 80,000.....its a stretch...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 06:28 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,083,204 times
When evaluating growth limit the data to the city limits not the surrounding county(s). Many people like to quote the region rather than the city proper...

Old 12-05-2010, 08:41 AM

969 posts, read 2,072,564 times
I don't think any will boom and I hope none do. I don't connect population increase with quality of life or success, actually I like a low population density. Most people dislike upstate NY's climate and image of snow, cold, rust, and high taxes. There are too many other places in the country with a better image and more desired climate and with better job opportunities. The fact that a boom is very unlikely anywhere upstate is one reason I like it here.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:21 PM

93,247 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Actually, Ithaca, Saratoga Springs, Watertown and Plattsburgh have seen some growth this decade. Glens Falls and possibly Schenectady has seen some growth too.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:26 PM

275 posts, read 793,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisps View Post
The fact that a boom is very unlikely anywhere upstate is one reason I like it here.
Exactly. We've been knocking ourselves out trying to figure out where to retire in the next year or so. Every place I can think of within a day's drive of here has been on some kind of "Best Places to Retire" list. Being on one of those lists seems to be the kiss of death as far as unbridled growth is concerned. I like the Saratoga/Glens Falls area as the area is not busting at the seams but there does seem to be some amount of growth. I like it that way. Except for the weather in January maybe

Old 12-06-2010, 05:06 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,847,541 times
When the Lackawanna Intercity Railway line is restored up to Binghamton form Hoboken / Scranton that region should see a boom in growth. When the Elmira line between Elmira and Binghamton is built that part of upstate should see a slight boom in developments but not as much as Binghamton. When the Empire line is upgraded to High Speed Rail status that corridor will take off like wild fire ,and all of this happen over the next 15 years. Unfornatly there are no plans to restore Rail service to Jamestown , Ithaca , or Watertown

2040 Amtrak Northeastern plan - Google Maps

Old 12-06-2010, 08:53 AM

Watertown's growth is due to the growth of Fort Drum.

If those rail lines are going forth to the Southern Tier of NY, there might be a boom of sorts for Elmira, Binghamton and even Owego, which has been named the Coolest Small Town in America by a publication recently. Blue collar, but walkable Binghamton suburbs like Endicott and Johnson City could be prime areas for singles and families, if they plan properly.

Plattsburgh's proximity to the Adirondacks, Montreal, Burlington VT and Lake Champlain could make that area a sleeper. It's more affordable that other areas close by, has had some economic growth at the old Air Base and in the health care industry and has a SUNY campus and community college. It has a free lakeside beach for city residents and some nightlife, including the arts.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:17 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,418,698 times
Upstate New York is doomed due to poor economic policy pushed by Albany. It is reportedly the most unionized part of the United States, and therefore it really has no hope for a rebound in either the manufacturing or service industries. White collar workers also aren't attracted to Upstate.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
Upstate New York is doomed due to poor economic policy pushed by Albany. It is reportedly the most unionized part of the United States, and therefore it really has no hope for a rebound in either the manufacturing or service industries. White collar workers also aren't attracted to Upstate.
Actually, many of the Upstate NY metros are changing a more "Green" based economy, with Higher education, Health care, Insurance and smaller manufacturing is still doing fine in those areas. Unemployment rates are below average for all of the Upstate NY metros and many counties have had recent population growth. So, all is not bad in Upstate NY.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:28 PM

379 posts, read 512,522 times
I think there is no question that the highest increases will be seen in Albany/Schenectady/Troy. Proximity to NYC, the fact that growth is already creeping far up the Hudson (Dutchess County is already becoming crowded, and Ulster County is slowly becoming a suburb of NYC), as well as the fact that the area gets significantly less snow and more sunshine than Western NY. Plus the easy accessibility on the Thruway, and even the fact that it is closer to the ocean are all factors, IMO. This is not my hope, just my prediction. I actually like the central and western part of the state better, but the reality is that Albany metro is already seeing growth from downstate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York