Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 06:44 PM

331 posts, read 1,126,564 times

Advertisements

I'd say that NC is more like SC but only because of NoVA. If you carved NoVA out of VA then all three states would be very similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 08:04 PM

3,305 posts, read 8,555,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
I'd say that NC is more like SC but only because of NoVA. If you carved NoVA out of VA then all three states would be very similar.

Agree somewhat with you there. I grew up in NoVA and most people believe the South started in Fredericksburg, VA (50 miles south of DC). Even my mother and father in law who live in South Side Virginia (about 2 hours north of Raleigh) considered where I grew up to be pretty much like any other Northern State. They're pretty much correct. NoVA is much more like the Northeast then Raleigh. I live in a nice area of North Raleigh that reminds me of parts of NoVA somewhat (because of all the transplants), but I work in a section of Southeast Raleigh that really reminds me more of Alabama or Mississippi. Even though this area is progressive, it has not been taken over to the extent NoVA was right after the civil war and since. 100% of NoVA has been taken over by Yankees and more recently immigrants, etc...but you can still find many areas around Raleigh that are very much like the deep South.

I think parts of Southside VA have more in common with NC, but I still believe they think they are better and not as "redneck" to some extent.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:44 AM

648 posts, read 2,979,664 times
Goegraphically NC is more like VA: mountains, foothills, and a large inland body of water (Chesapeake in VA, the sounds in NC). Each has a crescent of major metros (DC, Richmond, tidewater in VA; RDU, Triad, CLT in NC). In both states, these areas have significant amounts of transplants. Both have a small city in the mountains (Roanoke, Asheville). Both have a college town in the mountains (Charlottesville, Boone).

Old 08-10-2007, 08:00 AM

3,305 posts, read 8,555,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperwx View Post
Goegraphically NC is more like VA: mountains, foothills, and a large inland body of water (Chesapeake in VA, the sounds in NC). Each has a crescent of major metros (DC, Richmond, tidewater in VA; RDU, Triad, CLT in NC). In both states, these areas have significant amounts of transplants. Both have a small city in the mountains (Roanoke, Asheville). Both have a college town in the mountains (Charlottesville, Boone).
One more observation on the DC suburbs of VA as compared to Charlotte or Raleigh. While there are similarities...IMO NOVA had their huge rush of Transplants in th 70's and 80's and now are filing the ranks with more foreigners. Raleigh & Charlotte are getting a huge influx of middle class whites (along with hispanics).

In a broader sence, No.VA already feels like any Northeastern City. You won't find too much, if any Southern culture, minus all the muesems and historical places that are there. While people in Raleigh complain about all the Northeasterners moving in, it has a long way to go and might never reach the level that No.VA turned into many years ago. Plus No.VA has DC right next door, so the Federal Govt. and Govt. contract jobs saturate the market. Overall a much different feel from Raleigh IMO. That being said, I'm sure Raleigh is a much more different feel then Charleston, SC.

I think it's better to assume that certain areas of NC are more like SC and certain areas of NC are more like VA, then just talking about entire states. NoVA is like nothing in the Southeast.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:12 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times
Default Just curious.

Quote:
How many years have you spent living in Virginia?

Old 08-10-2007, 01:03 PM

331 posts, read 1,126,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
How many years have you spent living in Virginia?
I spent 4 years living in the DC area.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:40 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times
Default And?

Quote:
I spent 4 years living in the DC area.
Should we take your opinion regarding comparing Virginia (non-NoVA) to either North Carolina or South Carolina with a grain of salt (BTW, did you live in South Carolina)?

Coincidentally, I would agree with your assessment regarding Virginia and North Carolina but based on the rules I'm not qualified to do so.... yet.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:26 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,515,154 times
I really haven't spent much time in Raleigh (though hoping to move there) but from my point of view it feels much more southern than Va Beach where I am. Saying that though I think Va is much more Mid Atlantic than NC but probably one day NC will feel more so because of the influx. Maybe we should start another thread asking is NC the Mid Atlantic as I have heard others who want to argue the point lol.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:49 PM

518 posts, read 2,225,536 times
I don't live in western North Carolina -- just a frequent visitor to the region -- so my observation is certainly open to criticism. But it seems to me like anything west of Asheville might more closely resemble Tennessee than either Virginia or South Carolina.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:18 PM

1 posts, read 6,708 times
Smile There is no place like charlotte nc

North carolina is the place to be.
I was born in charlotte but married and move to sc.
I hate sc there is no hope as far as jobs and things to do here other then the beach,
there is no growth here.

I live in marion sc and all i see it is good for is for retirement the weather here is nice year round and only 45 min'ss from the beach.
Alot of people move here from jersy and new york,
but you can live here cheaper then nc.
Thats the only good i see in sc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina