Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 10:30 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,859,218 times

Advertisements

^Ditto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 06:10 AM

240 posts, read 559,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireballFL View Post
I would say both. North Carolina takes the qualities of both states. North Carolina thinks they are above South Carolina and Virginia thinks that they are above North Carolina, but when you break all the gibberish down, it is just one big state with 3 crooked capitals.

*lol* I like that one. I totally agree. All 3 of those states are as bad. From my point of view, North Carolina seems to think their state is the greatest while everyone else is no good (when look who's talking.) South Carolina does not even want anything to do with North Carolina (and I don't blame them.)

Old 08-20-2009, 06:13 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,544,738 times
more like VA to me.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:37 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I don't think NC is more like one over the other.
That said, here are some random thoughts on the issue.
  • Politically, NC is more like VA. SC, as a whole, is much more politically conservative than either NC or VA.
  • All 3 states have a distinct Coastal Plain, Piedmont and Mountain area.
  • NC's geographic areas are more distinct and dramatic than either VA or SC
  • NC is the most populated of the three and the fastest growing.
  • There are parts of NC and VA (especially NOVA) that feel decidely less Southern than other areas in their respective states. I don't get that sense in SC.
  • Virginia feels more blue blood culturally than either NC or SC.
  • SC definitely feels more Southern overall than the other two states.
  • NC and VA have much larger cities than SC. SC has a fairly large metro area in Greenville/Spartanburg but it's spread out and none of the cities are very large.
  • Agriculturally, I think SC and NC have more in common with each other than either of them would have with VA.
  • Richmond feels like Winston Salem
  • Charlottesville feels like a cross between Chapel Hill and Asheville
  • NOVA feels like parts of The Triangle (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill)
  • Eastern NC feels more like Eastern SC than Eastern VA.
  • Western NC feels more like Western VA than Western SC
  • NC's population is more evenly distributed across the state in more metro areas than in either SC or VA
great post

Old 08-20-2009, 08:28 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,859,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iabhornc View Post
South Carolina does not even want anything to do with North Carolina (and I don't blame them.)
Not sure if I agree with that. SC'ers are drawn to Charlotte in particular for a variety of reasons, but SC politicians with their fierce independent streak don't like to be shown examples of how NC has succeeded where SC is still struggling. And I say this as a native SC'er.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:09 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,148,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iabhornc View Post
*lol* I like that one. I totally agree. All 3 of those states are as bad. From my point of view, North Carolina seems to think their state is the greatest while everyone else is no good (when look who's talking.) South Carolina does not even want anything to do with North Carolina (and I don't blame them.)
Dear Mr or Ms iabhornc,
If you abhor the state, why not just go away and leave it to those of us who don't feel the same way?
I am always amazed by the number of people who spend there time in City-Data forum who do nothing but bash the places in which they post. It doesn't have to be that way. For instance, I live in Houston once and didn't like it. But, I don't spend my time in the Houston or Texas Forum bad mouthing it. Now, for sure, if someone in the NC or Triangle Forum asks my opinion on Houston or TX, I'll give them mine. But, I don't waste my energy going into their rooms with the name: iabhortx to bash the state. There are certainly more constructive ways to spend my time.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:54 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCnut View Post
Really? I knew SC had lots of French Protestants (French Heugenots) who, along with the English, settled the lowcountry/Charleston area of SC. And I knew the upstate was largely settled by the Scots-Irish. But most of SC was settled by the English. Never read or heard about German, Swiss and Dutch settlement in SC.
Well, you should read this book, "Voices of our Ancestors":
Voices of Our Ancestors (http://www.sc.edu/uscpress/2009/3775.html - broken link)

Or "The Making of South Carolina" by Henry Alexander White.

Or just browse the web:
http://www.sciway3.net/clark/beaufort/purrysburg.htm

Like you say, in the earliest days there were Englishmen from Barbadoes, French Hueguenots, and Scots (not scots-irish yet).

Orangeburg, Newberry and Lexington counties were german settlements. Towns like like Denmark, Saxe-Gotha and Dutch Fork bear the history of the area, as well as the strong Lutheran presence. If it weren't for those Germans, South Carolina would probably never have had it's Mustard-based BBQ sauce. (Notice the German names serving BBQ in that area, btw.. Bessinger, Shealy, Hite, Sikes..)

Good portions of the upper reaches of the Pee Dee swamp, like Darlington and Camden, were settled by the Welsh. Scots-Irish filled in the rest of the lower reaches of that swamp, as well as the upstate.

Purrysburgh, down towards Beaufort, SC, was settled by the French, Germans, and Swiss, and they made their way up the river over the centuries.

So, yeah, it's a little more of a mixture than just "English".

Last edited by le roi; 08-24-2009 at 09:03 AM..

Old 08-25-2009, 11:27 AM

240 posts, read 559,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Not sure if I agree with that. SC'ers are drawn to Charlotte in particular for a variety of reasons, but SC politicians with their fierce independent streak don't like to be shown examples of how NC has succeeded where SC is still struggling. And I say this as a native SC'er.

Strongly agreed!

Old 10-15-2009, 09:23 PM

3 posts, read 14,373 times
Smile Relocating- thanks for the tip Southerner. lol - I'm happy to join relocated Yanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fd46468 View Post
I was born and raised 30 minutes south of Raleigh... literally smack dab in between Raleigh and Fayetteville. I have lived in Raleigh, Wilmington, and am currently finishing up college in Boone, NC. I have friends living all over the state and travel to different areas of the state frequently. To me, North Carolina is definitely more like South Carolina than Virginia. Outside of immediate urban centers the state has an extremely southern feel. Especially in the smaller old towns, where everyone seems to know everybody and all go to the same Baptist church. If I had to pick an area to live it would be somewhere on the outskirts of Raleigh where house prices are still cheap, but you are still within a ride of all Raleigh has to offer. Raleigh is only an hour and 45 minutes from Wilmington which is close to some of America's greatest beaches. And Raleigh is close to the intersection of I-40 and I-95 which can take you East-West and North-South across America.

Charlotte is definitely the most ritzy and new city in the state, and to me doesn't really feel like a North Carolina city. Raleigh is more of an old town with an older downtown district and more character IMHO. Wilmington is actually a gem of a city, it has a riverfront, is close to beaches, has a great bar and entertainment scene, and is also home to great people. The locals down there are great.

Boone is a great little town that is just being discovered, and lies in the highest point of our mountains. Along with Asheville I find it the most beautiful place in NC. House prices in Asheville and Boone are high though I hear, but probably much cheaper than any similar areas in America.

All in all North Carolina is a great state with tons to offer, but I prefer Raleigh, Wilmington and Boone to Charlotte, Winston, and Asheville..

The three cities I mentioned have more of an Old South feel, which is what I myself have learned to love living in this state... If you are a relocating Yankee, you may be more comfortable in Charlotte with the rest of the Yanks... or possibly Cary just outside of Raleigh! (Cary is known as an Acronym for Central Area for Relocated Yankees around here!)
Thanks for the tip Southerner, Happy to be with other CARY FOLKS.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:03 AM

2 posts, read 11,726 times
Man, i've lived all over NC and been to SC many times and Virginia a few that being said

Overall NC is much more like SC but SC feels really deep south and its hotter and everywhere you go there are some plantations and you can get people to buy you beer if your underage. If you've ever been/lived in the deep south you know about piggly wiggly's tons of em'. Very beautiful girls walking around in SC but what it lacks is it very country, NC has 2 pretty big cities and like 5 small cities and its a little more progressive and a much less "stick to your roots" but its still south and you pretty much feel that everywhere except in some certain areas. Virginia sometimes doesn't feel southern at all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina