Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 05:42 PM
SHR

5 posts, read 15,881 times

Advertisements

Backfist - what area of NC are you thinking about moving to? I'm assuming that there are areas in NC (just as in VA) that are more welcoming than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2006, 10:09 AM

110 posts, read 168,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist
Jerseymom~

Although we haven't moved to NC yet, I thought I offer a nugget of food for thought.

I'm African American, my wife is Caucasian and our kids are the most beautiful young people you'd ever wanna meet--inside and out. And if we're considering moving to NC, then know that you won't be alone in terms of your expectations. In fact, many middle and upper-middle class African Americans are leaving northern and western areas and are "returning" to the South. So you can image that there's an expectation of respect, decency and honor by those who are returning; and little tolerance for the contrary.

That said, we're not concerned about civil war revisionists or blue bloods who expect genuflection, or slow talkin' locals (my wife will fit right in), although we'll certainly be respectful. It's a new day in the USofA, and it'll be nice to become North Carolinians.

In the immortal words of Stevie Wonder: Don't you worry 'bout a thing.
There are many of us humans with open minds looking forward to joining you in NC! Ignorance is no more! Hooray to the new USofA!

Old 04-23-2006, 10:33 AM

3 posts, read 9,038 times
HI ,mm34b i was looking to move to TN but some of what you have said about NC has led me to believe that t might be a nicer state to live in.
do you know much about moving from scotland to the us?i dont mind if you dont,i am just sick of being here and did spend some time in TN a few years ago and feel that i need to move.any help would be appreciated.e-mail me at stonefish@talktalk.net thank you.

Old 04-23-2006, 10:42 AM

3 posts, read 19,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm
mm34b, I'm from California, another state to which your wise answer applies. (Our own part of L.A. became living hell within 3years after our huge earthquake jumpstarted a total demographic changeover. We now live in a gang area, which was still a middle class suburb less than 12 years ago when we bought in.)

Therefore, I would quite appreciate your brand of wisdom. In 2 years, when my husband retires, we wish to move to the western part of your state. Would you venture a guess that Asheville will be roughly similar to how it appears today? My question centers on density and its overdevelopment problems, availability of rural housing adjacent the city limits, noise issues, whether dogs are still allowed, issues that affect quality of our life. No one's Nostradamus I know, but I do trust a resident's takes more than the websites we research.

We just bought land to retire on near Asheville. Two more years and we are leaving this hell called NJ.

Old 04-24-2006, 02:39 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,276,709 times
Hey, y'all. New gal here.

I'm a big fan of my home state, but I'm not so blinded by that love that I can't see NC's faults. (I just choose not to focus on them. )

As has been mentioned by prior posters, it's pretty humid in the Summer (though, as someone who isn't crazy about Summer, I can handle it) and the Winters can get pretty icey. In fact, we tend to get more ice than snow. I would much rather have snow. And there are still some racist folks around. Mainly among the older folks. But the good far outweighs the bad.

Also, there is quite a bit of growth in the Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, and Triad (Greensboro, High Point, Winston-Salem) areas of the state. Which, of course, means lots of road construction. There's a joke that the orange barrells are NC's other state flower. lol But, NC is also called the "Good Roads State".

I've lived in other states (VA, OK, OH, TX) and while they each have their good points, North Carolina is by far my favorite of them all. I was born here and spent most of my childhood here. The years I lived in those other states (mid-'85 through mid-'91), I longed for the day when I could live in North Carolina again. Since moving back, I sometimes tell people that God would have to physically remove me from NC in order to get me out of here. lol

"Tarheel born, Tarheel bred. When I die I'll be a Tarheel dead."

Old 04-24-2006, 11:27 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,552,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHR
Backfist - what area of NC are you thinking about moving to? I'm assuming that there are areas in NC (just as in VA) that are more welcoming than others.
Hey SHR~

We were pretty much set on Charlotte, but then realized that we don't know enough about Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill to rule it out. We're more inclined to live in the 'burbs, so I guess it's just a matter of employment availability (I'm a paralegal) and salaries that support the cost of living.

As it is in most states, most of the rural areas are a little less welcoming than others. Certainly not all--but most. Between the two major metro areas, and their immediate suburbs, I'm thinking we should be OK.

So I've concluded that there are three parts to the state of NC: Old School (Eastern region); New School (the Piedmont region) and No School (Western region) Little joke there.

Old 04-24-2006, 05:02 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,089,420 times
Well Im from the Huntersville area. Lived here all my life. This is the northern Meck county area, north of Charlotte around Lake Norman. To those moving here, you will be joining the thousands literally who have moved to this area over the past 5-10 years, mainly from NJ, NY, OH and PA. "the second northern invasion" as it has been jokingly called.

The main problems here in the now suburbs (was farm pastures only a few years ago) is the overcrowding. Traffic on the roads, and now the lake. You will be hard pressed to find any natives here anymore. The population is very diluted - meaning the 'transplants' now outnumber natives.

Another issue Ive seen is that alot of northerners relocate here for the lower taxes. Unfortunately many of them are now flexing their political muscle here and want to keep raising them.

Overall, its still a very nice area to live. Truthfully, many natives here like myself enjoy the business that has arrived here but its sad to see old towns become cities.

If anyone needs an honest opinion on anything, particulary the Mooresville, Huntersville, Denver (of the east) let me know. Be glad to help.

*please dont take my post as anything negative to those moving here, not my intent*

Old 04-24-2006, 05:42 PM

110 posts, read 168,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSS
HI ,mm34b i was looking to move to TN but some of what you have said about NC has led me to believe that t might be a nicer state to live in.
do you know much about moving from scotland to the us?i dont mind if you dont,i am just sick of being here and did spend some time in TN a few years ago and feel that i need to move.any help would be appreciated.e-mail me at stonefish@talktalk.net thank you.
My husband is from New Castle. We currently live in Florida and hate it. Can't wait to make the move to NC. I have to tell you its hard to get that coveted green card these days. You need to contact an immigration attorney (solicitor) as soon as you get here. you will have to get a work visa and that could take a while. but if you come on a student visa, it could buy you the time you need. Good luck!

Old 04-25-2006, 08:14 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,089,420 times
Dont swat the mosquito or youll go to jail, its the state bird.

Old 04-26-2006, 06:20 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,043,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native
Another issue Ive seen is that alot of northerners relocate here for the lower taxes. Unfortunately many of them are now flexing their political muscle here and want to keep raising them.

Overall, its still a very nice area to live. Truthfully, many natives here like myself enjoy the business that has arrived here but its sad to see old towns become cities.
We moved to a rural area and were just fine with having to clear the land ourselves, put in a well and septic tank, live on a gravel road, and have a satellite dish rather than cable It truly wasn't an inconvenience for us, knew that it would deter other people from crowding the area, and kept taxes down. However, a couple of developers came in and bought great swaths of unused farm land, divided it into subdivision plots, and now the hordes are swooping in and squawking about "the inconveniences." Hey! we have lived quite happily w/o those things for almost a decade, so shut yer yap and truly live like "country folk". That's what they say they want, but don't want to live with what it means to be country And while I'm happy that we now have a mid-size Lowe's Home Improvement in town, I wasn't happy to see a mega-Walmart move in. We weren't that far from one - about 20 miles, I think, for people who just have to shop there, but it was another one of the "conveniences" that the hordes wanted to see installed. We've been squawking that we're going to have to move farther out now; maybe Yadkin or Surry county; to find a place where we still have to slow down coming home from work, because there might be deer in our driveway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina