Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 12:52 PM

129 posts, read 460,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Amtrak is not going anywhere
Quote:
These lines are not going anywhere
Quote:
The train isnt going no where
So... is this train going somewhere or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 01:04 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,575,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spark240 View Post
So... is this train going somewhere or not?
Time will explain it all. He is a talker, and needs no questioning before he speaks.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:38 AM

168 posts, read 692,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
Wouldn't it be great if Amtrak would set up a service from Western NC, through to the coastal areas...Boy!... Would that save people a lot of driving...

I bet those trains would be packed with people....

Sign me up, migee!!! In-laws live in Little Washington and WOW would that be a nice long-weekend trip!

Old 11-28-2007, 09:12 AM

648 posts, read 2,982,888 times
Asheville mayor Terry Bellamy expressed the need for rail service to Asheville in a meeting in Raleigh. It's still being talked about,and it's good to see politicians trying to push it back to the front burner.

Citizen-Times article

Old 11-30-2007, 05:17 AM

21 posts, read 55,294 times
I was actually hoping to be able to take the train when we visit in March/April to scout for our new home. We live in Rhode Island and thought taking the train would be a nice alternative to flying. I've never taken a long-distance train, only the high-speed into Boston. I was surprised at how expensive it is! I can fly from Providence to Raleigh for $59 each way. I can fly to Charlotte for $94 each way. It's a 3 hour flight.

Amtrak is a 15 hour ride and costs just about $300, and that's for a regular "coach" seat. I was kind of disappointed as I thought it would be a nice alternative. I can drive it in 10-11 hours!

Old 11-30-2007, 07:24 AM

648 posts, read 2,982,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAV Industries View Post
...I can fly from Providence to Raleigh for $59 each way. I can fly to Charlotte for $94 each way. It's a 3 hour flight.

Amtrak is a 15 hour ride and costs just about $300... I can drive it in 10-11 hours!
Passenger train service slows dramatically south of DC, and even more so south of Richmond. I did Richmond-to-Salisbury last summer, and enjoyed it. It was cheaper than driving! But...we got stuck behind a freight train once, and once had to let one pass us so it could run on time. We were 1.5 hours late on a 4.5 hour trip. The freight trains down here ALWAYS have right-of-way, and there are no dedicated passenger rail lines. It seems this will always put a damper on train travel in the south.

And as long as flights are available for that insanely cheap price, there's no reason to take a long-distance train trip down here from the Northeast unless 1) you have lots of time, or 2) you're afraid of flying.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:10 PM

3 posts, read 7,132 times
We are looking to buy a home in Burlington but my husband works at the VA Hospital in Durham.. Is there a train or what would be the best way to commute?
Thank you

Old 01-27-2008, 08:17 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,575,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamiaz View Post
We are looking to buy a home in Burlington but my husband works at the VA Hospital in Durham.. Is there a train or what would be the best way to commute?
Thank you
Look up the station address (address at each stop) NCDOT Rail Division > Passenger Trains > Stations and Destinations > Burlington
and then google your destination point to the desire location and determine if that is feasible

Old 01-28-2008, 10:13 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,896,235 times
Default Bravo NC!!

I am glad NC is on the "right track" when it comes to the future. We desperately needs more rail links. Here in Roanoke VA(once rail hub of the east coast) we lost Amtrak and passenger rail in the '70s. Only in the DC areas of VA are there any passenger trains other than Amtrak. There is always talk of rail from Bristol/Roanoke/Richmond/Wash DC but thats it.

Last edited by mm34b; 01-28-2008 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: This is not a partisan political thread.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,611 times
DOES AMTRAk GO ANY WHERE NEAR CAMP LAJUNE? Can you suggest the best way to get from the Raleigh airport to camo Lajune thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina