Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 05:22 PM

114 posts, read 618,668 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm considering several NC cities for my relocation next year. Most of them have Amtrak service (Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Raleigh/Durham area). Does anyone know if this is likely to continue in the future? Obviously, this country needs to invest in this type of transportation, but that doesn't mean it will happen. Is there enough usage to make sure that this service will still be available in all of these cities for the foreseeable future?

Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 05:34 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,555,576 times
just a FYI the winston is a shuttle to the Greensboro location.

Amtrak is not going anywhere it actually will be converted to high speed rail in future in the state.
NCDOT Gets $905,000 Grant for Railroad Crossing Safety Studies in Southeast High Speed Rail Corridor Southeast High Speed Rail Corridor

These lines are not going anywhere in fact they replacing the tracks for high speed rail.
North Carolina is a great gateway tio Washington, New York, Atlanta, Savannah and Florida. The train isnt going no where plus North Carolina owns the Piedmont line.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:55 PM

Thanks SunnyKayak! I just had a worry that I'd get there, plan to take a vacation via rail and find that it was closing down! We lost our train service here in Knoxville in the 70s.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:35 PM

653 posts, read 2,707,229 times
First, I'd like to point out that Winston-Salem isn't directly served by Amtrak, but has a connector shuttle with the station in High Point.

North Carolina has put a lot of investment into passenger rail. Two Amtrak trains, the Carolinian and Piedmont, are partially financed and operated by the State of North Carolina.

Many stations have undergone vast improvements over the past few years, such as High Point:

Various track improvements have been completed and are on-going along the Charlotte-Raleigh corridor to increase safety, speeds, efficiency, reliability, and capacity.

Quote:
Through track and signal improvements, the NCDOT has reduced the travel time between Raleigh and Charlotte by more than 35 minutes since the work began in 2001.
The eventual goal of North Carolina and Virginia is for the completion of a High Speed Rail corridor from Charlotte to Washington, D.C. with maximum speeds of 110 mph and averaging 85-90 mph. Along with this would come more frequent service.

The Piedmont even has its own North Carolina paint scheme and the coaches have recently undergone refurbishment.

The NCDOT Rail Division website has a lot more information.

Ridership totals for Amtrak trains serving North Carolina in FY07 (for the entire route, not just in N.C.):
  • Carolinian: 256,212 +5.2%
  • Crescent: 263,136 +4.4%
  • Palmetto: 156,998 +7.5%
  • Piedmont: 50,551 -6.1%
  • Silver Meteor: 291,795 +6.9%
  • Silver Star: 329,132 +5.7%
Source: Annual Amtrak Ridership Sets All-Time Record; Fifth Straight Year of Increases

North Carolina ridership totals for FY06 (I don't believe FY07 totals have been released for individual locations yet):
  • Burlington: 11,797
  • Cary: 20,682
  • Charlotte: 114,560
  • Durham: 39,035
  • Fayetteville: 43,736
  • Gastonia: 1,582
  • Greensboro: 71,784
  • Hamlet: 4,149
  • High Point: 17,687
  • Kannapolis: 8,450
  • Raleigh: 122,638
  • Rocky Mount: 47,456
  • Salisbury: 16,653
  • Selma-Smithfield: 9,605
  • Southern Pines: 4,246
  • Wilson: 33,412
TOTAL: 567,472

Source: Amtrak Fact Sheet, FY06 - State of North Carolina

Old 10-30-2007, 08:42 PM

Wow...lots of great information cowboy_wilhelm! Thanks for taking the time.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:44 AM

648 posts, read 2,982,079 times
Default more to come?

There are also plans to add service to Wilmington (still ongoing) and Asheville (on indefinite hold ). The western spur would run from the main line in Salisbury and serve I-40 corridor towns from Statesville to Asheville. The route of the Eastern spur has not been determined.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:13 AM

1,332 posts, read 1,991,561 times
Default Not to go off-track here...But,

Wouldn't it be great if Amtrak would set up a service from Western NC, through to the coastal areas...Boy!... Would that save people a lot of driving...

I often use Amtrak when I travel to the NYC area for business...Usually, I park at High Point, and take the train back and forth...It is really convenient...And, the Parking Authority of High Point, really accomodates you...with the lot right across the street from the station...

It beats the nightmares at the airports (Though Greensboro is a nice airport, the ones in NYC are often a pain). Also, these days you can not rely on the airline schedules...

So, I afford a few extra hours to the train...And, when you think of getting to the airports in a place like NYC, the time to check in, the flight delays, etc. etc...It really ends up being not that bad...Even though it may take 12 hours or so by train...It is a relaxed, comfortable 12 hours, leaving you off right in the center on NYC... And, it is relaxed and comfortable much because the people that work on the trains are always so easy going and polite...

And, you get to walk around the train and socialize....

Anyway,...I just wish there was a nice service running from Western NC through to the beaches..At least on the weekends...Perhaps along the freight tracks that run parrallel to I 40...

I bet those trains would be packed with people....

Old 10-31-2007, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperwx View Post
There are also plans to add service to Wilmington (still ongoing) and Asheville (on indefinite hold ). The western spur would run from the main line in Salisbury and serve I-40 corridor towns from Statesville to Asheville. The route of the Eastern spur has not been determined.
Is there a stated reason why Asheville is on hold? I'm sure money concerns must come into it. Whenever train service for Knoxville is brought up, that's what scuttles it. I love Asheville, and I'd be even more enthusiastic about it, if train service were thrown in, too!

Old 11-01-2007, 09:24 AM

648 posts, read 2,982,079 times
It does have to do with money. A couple of brand new stations will have to be built (land acquired, too), including Asheville, and several others will need major refurbishment since passenger service hasn't existed since 1976. Another capital improvement would be the need to add extra tracks in a few places to allow trains to pass, and to complete upgrades to allow for the speeds of passenger trains.

As said, there is no timetable. See NCDOT Rail Division > Future Service

Old 11-01-2007, 11:53 AM

653 posts, read 2,707,229 times
I'm still hopeful since there have already been renovations and improvements to the stations in Morganton, Marion and Old Fort. With the way oil is going, everyone will be wanting to take the train.

There is still a lot of infrastructure work to be done and financial investment required to make passenger rail to WNC a reality, and I'm not sure if Norfolk Southern wants to add any more traffic to their already congested line from Salisbury to Asheville. There are few improvements they can do to parts of the line, such as the ascent into the Blue Ridge Mountains along the Old Fort loops.

I don't believe there is any doubt, though, that the service would be incredibly popular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina