Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 01:19 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,852,270 times

Advertisements

RaleighRob mentioned Yadkinville which I had never heard of so I did some cursory research and boy is he right.

The following info came directly from the city-data profile.

Yadkinville compared to North Carolina state average:

•Median house value below state average.
•Black race population percentage significantly above state average.
•Hispanic race population percentage above state average.
•Foreign-born population percentage above state average.
•Institutionalized population percentage significantly above state average.
•Number of college students below state average.
•Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
•Population density below state average for cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2006, 04:11 PM

9 posts, read 91,523 times
I am thinking about moving to either Rocky Mount, Greenville, or Winston-Salem. What are these places like? I like big towns... I am from the Detroit area so shopping malls and such are a must, but I also like a lot of trees. I heard that Winston-Salem is "ghetto". What makes it ghetto? Could anyone tell me a little bit about these places? My reason to move there is because I want to go to school at the local community colleges and basically try something new.

Old 10-27-2006, 05:48 PM

212 posts, read 1,063,459 times
ghetto= gentrification. You might like Greenville. Nothing in East NC or most of NC for that matter will begin to compare with Detroit.

Old 10-27-2006, 05:50 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,029,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
RaleighRob mentioned Yadkinville which I had never heard of so I did some cursory research and boy is he right.

The following info came directly from the city-data profile.
<snippage>
I could almost squawk about the designation of that area. Almost. The way the Yadkin land lays is actually very pretty; the section closest to Winston-Salem is really nice. We were through there a few months back and marked it as an area to look for land. Now, the people who run the city and county. What a mess. The links always show up wonky on this site, but go to http://www.journalnow.com and do a search on names: Brady Wooten, Allen Sneed, Leon Casstevens and Cecil Wood. A few years back there was a huge fight over the management of the county animal control and how animals were treated there http://www.peta.org/feat/yadkin/ [yeah, it's PETA. no arguments please, the same facts were discussed in local papers and on sites like Best Friends - a rescue society of great renown]. When a local animal group got involved, the following occurred
http://scotland.indymedia.org/newswi...1780/index.php

Quote:
On November 4, 2003, Yadkin County Humane Society President Alice Singh spoke to the House Interim Committee on the Prevention and Disposition of Unwanted and Abandoned Companion Animals in Raleigh—formed last August by the Honorable Speakers of the North Carolina House of Representatives to address the overpopulation crisis and related issues in the state—about dire conditions at the Yadkin County shelter. Singh shared with committee members heart-wrenching photos of the facility, and graphic video footage of gas killings shot in 1997 (the same gas box is still in use) by a North Carolina School of the Arts student. The following day, County Manager Cecil Wood advised humane society members that they were no longer welcome to use the county planning building for their monthly meetings as they had been doing for nine months.
Cecil Wood recently became interim town manager of Lewisville; a position he hopes will become permanent. Last summer he resigned his Yadkin position after a power squabble.

Four lane highway 421 runs from Winston-Salem thru Yadkin County to Boone. Yadkinville sits at the intersection of 421 and 601 (which runs up to Mt. Airy and down to I-40). 421 is a corridor ripe for development, while the county is touted as an emerging wine region. One would think developers would be interested; I'm not sure why we don't see their signs popping up all over. One can only speculate.

Old 10-27-2006, 05:53 PM

11 posts, read 78,962 times
Default Worst Town

I would say Greesnboro is the worst that I can think of. Tooooo much crime and getting worst every year. I lived there for 4 years before moving somewhere else

Old 10-27-2006, 06:27 PM

463 posts, read 1,650,851 times
I too think Yadkin is beautiful, reminds me of Virginia wine country. Coupla other comments. Yadkin county has had a new animal shelter for a couple of years now, something that Peta fails to mention on their website. Sorry, I'm not a Peta fan. While the Center for Consumer Freedom is not an unbiased source, their records on the numbers of animals killed by Peta ( which are astonishingly high) come from the VA State Vet's office .. submitted by Peta in accordance with VA law. Peta is more renowned for their press stunts than anything else, IMO. Then there were the two employees who allegedly took animals from N.C. with the promise to adopt them out, but euthed them (apparently illegally) and unceremoniously dumped their bodies in a grocery store dumpster before ever reaching the state line. The case was delayed so many times that I stopped following it.

But back to Yadkin. It's a beautiful area. We looked at a gorgeous custom built home there on 13 acres. It was snatched before we could make an offer on it. IMO, it's only a matter of time before developers discover Yadkin county. As far as inept leadership, unfortunately, Yadkin doesn't hold the patent on that in N.C. It seems to be widespread.

Regards,

Cassie

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
I could almost squawk about the designation of that area. Almost. The way the Yadkin land lays is actually very pretty; the section closest to Winston-Salem is really nice. We were through there a few months back and marked it as an area to look for land. Now, the people who run the city and county. What a mess. The links always show up wonky on this site, but go to http://www.journalnow.com and do a search on names: Brady Wooten, Allen Sneed, Leon Casstevens and Cecil Wood. A few years back there was a huge fight over the management of the county animal control and how animals were treated there http://www.peta.org/feat/yadkin/ [yeah, it's PETA. no arguments please, the same facts were discussed in local papers and on sites like Best Friends - a rescue society of great renown]. When a local animal group got involved, the following occurred
http://scotland.indymedia.org/newswi...1780/index.php

Cecil Wood recently became interim town manager of Lewisville; a position he hopes will become permanent. Last summer he resigned his Yadkin position after a power squabble.

Four lane highway 421 runs from Winston-Salem thru Yadkin County to Boone. Yadkinville sits at the intersection of 421 and 601 (which runs up to Mt. Airy and down to I-40). 421 is a corridor ripe for development, while the county is touted as an emerging wine region. One would think developers would be interested; I'm not sure why we don't see their signs popping up all over. One can only speculate.

Last edited by Cassie; 10-27-2006 at 07:13 PM..

Old 10-27-2006, 07:00 PM

505 posts, read 2,542,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyk View Post
I am thinking about moving to either Rocky Mount, Greenville, or Winston-Salem. What are these places like? I like big towns... I am from the Detroit area so shopping malls and such are a must, but I also like a lot of trees. I heard that Winston-Salem is "ghetto". What makes it ghetto? Could anyone tell me a little bit about these places? My reason to move there is because I want to go to school at the local community colleges and basically try something new.

I love winston-Salem! If you are from Detroit, I would just ignore the "ghetto" term. Sure, downtown Winston is a bit rough, but it is a beautiful city. Winston-Salem is one of those cities that hit its prime many, many years ago. Back in the early 1900's. All the money moved away or to the burbs, kind of like Detroit. Winston-Salem at one time was one of the largest cities in the south, and the largest in NC. It's not that other NC cities got larger, winston just lost major population. The city is in the process of finally turning this around though. Winston-Salem has so much history.

But forget Rocky Mount.....There is nothing there!

Greenville and Winston Salem out of that list are your best choices. My choice would b Winston though.

Old 10-27-2006, 07:18 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,029,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
Yadkin county has had a new animal shelter for a couple of years now, something that Peta fails to mention on their website. Sorry, I'm not a Peta fan. While the Center for Consumer Freedom is not an unbiased source, their records on the numbers of animals killed by Peta ( which are astonishingly high) come from the VA State Vet's office .. submitted by Peta in accordance with VA law.

Yeah, we made our contributions and I remember what a drawn out ordeal it was to get the new shelter built. For all that Yadkin has so much open space, there was trouble finding available acreage. Then, since there were conditions on some of the contributions (needle euthenasia over gas) there were more arguments. Neither PETA or the CCF are groups willing to compromise; they also are known for dirty pool stuff; and the spitefulness of the county managers was maddening. Forsyth County ended up under the spotlight at the same time, but they avoided the drama and just got to work on improving their facilities. It wasn't long ago that the W-S Journal did a series on the new Forsyth Shelter. It was heartbreaking and heroic. The Yadkin scenario had me furious. Someone just needed to slap those people around and say "enough with the f* drama! just think of the animals!"

Old 10-27-2006, 08:24 PM

463 posts, read 1,650,851 times
Moderator cut: removed

And to stay on topic, Yanceyville is one of the worst places I've ever seen in N.C. An economically depressed and depressing town. Hardly anything there. Nothing like getting lost and asking for directions from a wino who is hitting the bottle out of a brown paper bag at 10:00 a.m. on a Saturday morning. So sad. Made me extremely grateful that I didn't live there. Couldn't buy anywhere near there after I saw Yanceyville.

Regards,

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 10-27-2006 at 09:35 PM..

Old 10-28-2006, 03:17 PM

9 posts, read 91,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beffrey2 View Post
I love winston-Salem! If you are from Detroit, I would just ignore the "ghetto" term. Sure, downtown Winston is a bit rough, but it is a beautiful city. Winston-Salem is one of those cities that hit its prime many, many years ago. Back in the early 1900's. All the money moved away or to the burbs, kind of like Detroit. Winston-Salem at one time was one of the largest cities in the south, and the largest in NC. It's not that other NC cities got larger, winston just lost major population. The city is in the process of finally turning this around though. Winston-Salem has so much history.

But forget Rocky Mount.....There is nothing there!

Greenville and Winston Salem out of that list are your best choices. My choice would b Winston though.

Thank you for the reply
Could you tell me a little more about Winston... I don't want to move to a place like Detroit (home) because of the crime, run down homes, dangerous downtown at night...
I want to live in a place where the people are friendly, neighborly, safe, fun night life and day time activites. What do you think? I will be graduating with a 4 year degree this year and I have decided that I want get 2 year degree in something else and build off of that... so I am looking at Forsyth tech. How is it in the area of the school? Is it a good school? I want to get into the Radiology program. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina