Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 09:38 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,053,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Absolutely. It's a short heigh limit at like 30 floors or so Dowtown. I think a few months ago the North Hills area was reasoned for up to 40 floors and just recently a street in downtown was rezoned for up to 40 floors. But if I understand correctly, only a couple parcels would really be suitable for a taller building. But also a zoning law that was favorable to a lower density (compared to Highrise development) was put into place.

Though, someone from Raleigh would have to expand or even correct me if I'm wrong.
Wow...I can't believe that I never knew about that. It's nice to learn new things.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/loc...e20628495.html

Old 06-02-2015, 10:09 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,207,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Absolutely. It's a short heigh limit at like 30 floors or so Dowtown. I think a few months ago the North Hills area was reasoned for up to 40 floors and just recently a street in downtown was rezoned for up to 40 floors. But if I understand correctly, only a couple parcels would really be suitable for a taller building. But also a zoning law that was favorable to a lower density (compared to Highrise development) was put into place.

Though, someone from Raleigh would have to expand or even correct me if I'm wrong.
From my understanding, the intention of the so called height limit is to put in place a zoned code that will make conforming projects to the code easier to move through the city's processes for approval. Projects in excess of the established height limits in zones are still possible but require a more rigorous process for approval.
From everything that I've read about the issue, this is how I understand it to be.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:25 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,446,098 times
Where is Winston Salem and Greensboro on their rail projects?

Old 06-03-2015, 09:26 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,394,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
What rail projects are you referring to?

Old 06-03-2015, 11:04 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,053,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
The last I have heard was that they are currently seeking funding ($1.5 million) for engineering and environmental studies. Winston-Salem hops on board streetcar route | myfox8.com

Proposed route:

winston salem streetcar route - Bing Images

Old 06-03-2015, 11:10 AM

Lynx Blue Line Extension Construction Video

LYNX Blue Line Extension Civil Construction Update (City of Charlotte, NC) - Worldnews.com

Old 06-03-2015, 11:41 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,408,167 times
I'm just dying for the gold line to open this month.

They need to put some Bcycle stations in Plaza now that the gold line is starting to wind its way up there.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:20 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,521,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
From my understanding, the intention of the so called height limit is to put in place a zoned code that will make conforming projects to the code easier to move through the city's processes for approval. Projects in excess of the established height limits in zones are still possible but require a more rigorous process for approval.
From everything that I've read about the issue, this is how I understand it to be.
That's my understanding also. The new rules don't prohibit buildings over 40. Any proposal over 40 stories would face extra scrutiny in the zoning approval process. At least that's my understanding,I could be wrong. Either way,when we get a couple of 40 story towers up. Then maybe we can discuss going higher. Until then it's not a big deal to me. Raleigh's claim to fame will never be it's tall building or skyline IMO.

Hopefully this will work out. I'd rather be know for this
Fiberglass cars whizzing through the Raleigh skyline? A test track has broken ground at N.C. State - Triangle Business Journal

I just heard a rumor from a VERY good source. That Mr Kane is trying to bring an Atlantic League Baseball team Downtown Raleigh. According to the Atlantic League website they are the highest level of Baseball besides MLB. It also stated that the league is planning an expansion of 4 teams. If this turns out to be true it would be cool. I am a bit concerned about what would happen to the Mudcats though. Not too concerned about the Bulls. They will always have a following in the Triangle. Either way,just a rumor at this point.

The Atlantic League of Professional Baseball

Old 06-03-2015, 08:00 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,408,167 times
And another office tower could be coming uptown. There are currently 4 high rise office towets U/C or about to begin (1 in SouthEnd).

A Texas firm partnered with cousins properties to build an office tower for them.

All of our tenants anchoring our projects have been financial/banking so far.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:57 AM

Final leg of I-485 to open 1 p.m. Friday June 5, 2015

The N.C Department of Transportation will open the final section of Interstate 485 with a ribbon-cutting ceremony at 1 p.m. Friday.
The 5.7-mile segment will connect N.C. 115 and I-85 and complete the 67-mile circle around Charlotte. The highway’s first section opened in 1990.

The ceremony, hosted by the DOT, the Charlotte Chamber and University City Partners, will happen at the I-85 and I-485 Turbine Interchange near Mallard Creek Road.

The new highway will open for traffic immediately after the ceremony.
Read more here: Final leg of I-485 to open 1 p.m. Friday | The Charlotte Observer The Charlotte Observer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina