Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 11:34 PM

996 posts, read 1,898,044 times

Advertisements

Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 01:41 PM

1 posts, read 7,690 times
My husband and i are relocating to North Carolina within a year,we are VERY sure we are moving to this state. We are a little bit unsure about what city. The reason for the move is to make more money they pay more in this state for our backgrounds. We were focused on Charlotte but Raleigh sounds pretty good too as well. I have a degree in medical billing & coding and my husband is an insurance agent and our kids are recently high school graduates wanting to go to college soon to be in the medical field- RN. They are going to college when we settle in our new state, which would be best.We all have lived in FL all of our lives and oh my goodness we NEED a change VERY BAD. We are trying to be patient but anxious at the same time... Any suggestions or advice -IM OPEN?

Old 08-13-2010, 04:19 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,344,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessJoyce View Post
Welcome to North Carolina!! If you are looking to move to a large city choose either Charlotte or Raleigh. A mid-size city: Greensboro or Winston-Salem. Small and upcoming town: Ashville or Cary. Here is some school information for you to look at.
Cary small and upcoming? Maybe 20 years ago!

Old 11-14-2010, 10:55 AM

1 posts, read 7,206 times
Hi there kris10xxx86 -
I am a marine wife and have lived in FL. KY, VA, TX, TN, NC and Southern California. We actually lived in New Bern, NC for 3 years. It is a quaint small town on the river and is not far from the coast. It is not big at all, but has a LOT of charm. NEw Bern was the original capital of NOrth Carolina and the original capital building, Tryon Palace, is still there. It is open for tours. There are so many historical houses and buildings in downtown and they have really kept up the downtown area well. It is friendly and like I said, quaint. However, if you want to go to any big stores (aside from Walmart, Target or Lowes) you have to go to Greenville or Jacksonville. These are not exactly right down the road as most of the area around here is delineated swampland and logging country. In other words, not really a direct route exists to either place. Wilmington is a nice area that no one has mentioned and it is right near the SC border. It is larger and has a good hospital (level 2 trauma center) - New Hanover Medical Center. (I am also an RN, by the way). Raleigh area has UNC-Chapel Hill and Duke MEdical Centers as well as other hospitals and the area is really nice but more expensive regarding housing. Charlotte is huge and has many areas that are family friendly within walking distance to shops and restaurants (Elizabeth, Plaza Midwood, Myers Park, etc.) Very cool arts and crafts style houses in Plaza Midwood and Elizabeth and it is more affordable than Raleigh. Hope this helps. I think you would like New Bern for the old small town appeal, but you would get sick of driving for miles just to go to any major stores.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:36 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,832,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Lady73 View Post
My husband and i are relocating to North Carolina within a year,we are VERY sure we are moving to this state. We are a little bit unsure about what city. The reason for the move is to make more money they pay more in this state for our backgrounds. We were focused on Charlotte but Raleigh sounds pretty good too as well. I have a degree in medical billing & coding and my husband is an insurance agent and our kids are recently high school graduates wanting to go to college soon to be in the medical field- RN. They are going to college when we settle in our new state, which would be best.We all have lived in FL all of our lives and oh my goodness we NEED a change VERY BAD. We are trying to be patient but anxious at the same time... Any suggestions or advice -IM OPEN?
Get a job BEFORE you move here. There is no other advice more important. The job market in NC is not great and enormous competition for any and all jobs. Moving here thinking"Oh, *I'LL* get something right away" would be a costly mistake.

Once you line up a job, you can ask more specific questions about the area where your job is.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:11 AM

119 posts, read 261,608 times
If your looking for seattle type vibe I would def say the NC mountains (Asheville being the biggest) If you want to be near a bigger city I would suggest chapel hill. chapel hill is probably the most granola place close to a big city. The cary/apex area is also really nice and frequently gets rated as one of the best places to live in the US. cary, apex, and chapel hill are all in close proximity to the research triable park and nationally renowned hospitals (Duke hospital).

Old 05-31-2011, 05:14 PM

1 posts, read 6,362 times
Default Good city to move to in NC for young teacher?

I have been researching areas to move to in NC and happened to stumble upon this site. I studied at the Duke Marine Lab in Beaufort, NC years ago and absolutely fell in love with NC. Ideally, I'd love to live near the beach; however, I know that the jobs are harder to come by there. I am 24 and a recently certified special ed. teacher. I'd like a city that is lively and a great place for young adults while still offering a variety of nature trails, hiking, biking trails, cool restaurants/bars etc. I have a ton of student loans, so I'd like to move to a place that is not extremely costly. Any suggestions for a young single teacher?

Old 07-13-2011, 09:42 PM

2 posts, read 7,770 times
I live about 35 miles outside of raleigh in a town called Henderson, there used to be a lot of jobs around here but not as many as it used to be but its not far from durham, cary, raleigh and all the major cities. Nice quiet town to live in also.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:46 PM

17 posts, read 64,060 times
Best place to live is Cary, NC and also it depends the triangle area(Raleigh).

Old 05-15-2012, 12:47 PM

23 posts, read 73,133 times
My daughter and I are curretnly living in Boca Raton Fl but want to buy a home with some land and possibly do a horse rescue and animal fostering so were looking for no restriction area.We are thinking the Carolina's, Virginia, Georgia etc. Anyone have any suggestions? Ofcourse low crime rate is a must as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina