Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 05:16 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlibby View Post
My daughter and I are curretnly living in Boca Raton Fl but want to buy a home with some land and possibly do a horse rescue and animal fostering so were looking for no restriction area.We are thinking the Carolina's, Virginia, Georgia etc. Anyone have any suggestions? Ofcourse low crime rate is a must as well.
Your post is going to be ignored in this old thread. I'd suggest starting a new thread with a specific title like "Horse Rescue Farm Desired". It would also help to provide a budget, and the number of acres you think you need.

However, there are rural counties north of Durham like Granville and Person where I've seen houses with 20 acres of land. Some people recommend www.landwatch.com for searching for rural property. For example, there's 3.5 acres in Davidson County, with 1.5 acres fenced. It has a three bedroom house and is listed for $229,000. There's 80 acres with a house in Granville Conuty for about $400,000.

Last edited by goldenage1; 05-16-2012 at 06:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 06:24 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Asheville is my favorite place to live but jobs are scarce & unless your in the hospitallty bussiness, not sure just how much money there is in that anymore with things being so tight. I'd move there if I came into some money it's very beautiful & I've always found the people to be friendly.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,641 times
I moved from SW Va to a small town in NC. It is a poor area of this state not far from SW VA. In some ways I wish I had never moved here. No places to just take a relaxing walk,even-though It looks like it. People for the most part are not as friendly as in SW VA. Drugs are the highest in this area than any other part in the state. Not far from Asheville...... the Lord JESUS has been working in my life a great deal and I see His GRACE in action in my life most All the time. a lot of things are different for example; I once tired to buy a bed on credit and even-though I had an income, I was told by the store owners, that My husband had to sign for me and It defeated the purpose my surprise for his Christmas present. I ask why, and was told because he was my husband. I ask if I had to sign for him, if he want to purchase on credit, because I was his wife and I was told NO, he did NOT. Also, I learned that, example: if my husband passed away I would NOT inherit what he owned, like property if my name was not on the deed or title.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,230 times
Hello Friends,
My wife and I are considering relocating from CT to NC within the next few years. We are in planning mode now.
I work for IBM from my home, and my wife is a Pharmaceutical chemist, working for Boehringer Ingelheim.
Our kids are 18, in college, so we are thinking about our next move to a milder climate to spend more time outdoors.

Where would be an ideal home location in North Carolina, if you were interested in the following:
- Small town feel, but close to good hospitals, shopping malls, and big stores like Costco, and Home Depot?
- Employment opps for Pharmaceutical Chemist, or just Pharmaceutical jobs period
- Asian [Chinese] culture, groceries, and good restaurants.
- Outdoor activities like hiking/biking trails, greenways, fishing, hunting, boating, golfing or ATV riding
- Open space parks that are pet friendly

For those that relocated to NC, what are suggestions for finding that perfect spot?
Did you rent first, drive area different areas to experience it, then use a realtor, or did you use friends/family or a service?
Thanks for any advice.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:00 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,310,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benny1964 View Post
Hello Friends,

- Employment opps for Pharmaceutical Chemist, or just Pharmaceutical jobs period

Thanks for any advice.
Most of the pharma / biotech jobs are located in the Research Triangle. Positions are competitive since, as you probably know, the industry has been contracting for some years now.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:50 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Where would be an ideal home location in North Carolina, if you were interested in the following:
- Small town feel, but close to good hospitals, shopping malls, and big stores like Costco, and Home Depot?
A much smaller alternative to the Triangle is the Wilmington area. PDD is the only pharmaceutical-related employer I have heard of. They do clinical trials and testing. Wilmington has city amenities and Asian groceries, but you could live in Burgaw, Hampstead or Leland if you want a smaller town. Burgaw is the only one with a "town center".

Old 10-24-2013, 08:29 AM

3,084 posts, read 4,859,830 times
Quote:
Hello Friends,
My wife and I are considering relocating from CT to NC within the next few years. We are in planning mode now.
I work for IBM from my home, and my wife is a Pharmaceutical chemist, working for Boehringer Ingelheim.
Our kids are 18, in college, so we are thinking about our next move to a milder climate to spend more time outdoors.

- Outdoor activities like hiking/biking trails, greenways, fishing, hunting, boating, golfing or ATV riding

For those that relocated to NC, what are suggestions for finding that perfect spot?
Did you rent first, drive area different areas to experience it, then use a realtor, or did you use friends/family or a service?
Thanks for any advice.
Wilmington is PPD's world corporate headquarters...

Locations

There is also AAIPharma headquarters...

Our Facilities | AAIPharma Services

Merrion has offices in Wilmington (and has contracts with Novo Nordisk)...

Wilmington Pharmaceuticals has corporate HQ's....

About Wilmington Pharmaceuticals | WilmingtonPharma.com

And Osmotica has a Wilmington office.

Old 10-25-2013, 04:55 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,538,172 times
RTP would be my pick based on your needs, however my first choice would be to move back to Seattle. There is nothing in NC that equals Seattle, nothing. You already covered the only two attributes, weather (at least in the Winter) and housing prices as compared to Seattle.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:12 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
mod note:
This is a revived thread pay attention to the dates closest to today so your responds go to those who currently need relocation advice.
This thread was revived at post #34 with the following:
Thanks

Quote:
Hello Friends,

Thanks for any advice.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:49 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,494,889 times
The Triangle (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill) is a wonderful place to live. Durham has a very bad reputation and although it does have some rough areas, overall it is a good city to live in. If you like College Basketball, this area is best for you. UNC, Duke, and NC State are all within a 25 minute drive of each other. The RTP area and the areas around RDU are probably the best areas to live in when it comes to the Triangle. Chapel Hill is also a great college town. Cary is a huge suburban town to the west of Raleigh and although it is very safe and convenient, it's soulless and lacks culture in my opinion. The Triad (Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point) is another good area. Although I would say the Triangle is a better place to live, this area is fine, too. I love this area because it's not very far from the mountains and good hiking spots. Greensboro is practically the heart of NC, and it's about an equal distance away from the Triangle and Charlotte area. Greensboro is the biggest city in the Triad but I feel like Winston-Salem has more culture/charm. I can't say much for Charlotte because I'm not exactly familiar with that area despite living there for a few years at a very young age. However, it's the biggest city in the state so I'm sure it is a nice area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina