Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 12:16 AM

404 posts, read 2,617,256 times

Advertisements

does garner have 1 zip better then another.
Can anyone describe life in garner,it seems so close to raleigh and prices seem good.
Is there one part of time that you would recommend over another
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2006, 05:30 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,566,769 times
Garner is amazing and continues to grow every day. Used to seem so way out in the country, and is now right there. Very close to Raleigh and they are getting everything out there. They also have some beautiful subdivisions. Would love to send you some local Garner info if you would like. People don't always want to be right in Raleigh and Garner is one of the places they are choosing to move out a bit, but still be close. Hope this helps a little. I can help more if you like.

Old 03-14-2006, 05:32 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,566,769 times
For people that want to get out some-Garner,Fuquay Varina, Holly Springs, Angier, parts of Apex are out. Past Wake Forest towards Creedmoor.

Old 03-16-2006, 06:39 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,064,332 times
Are any of you familiar with the City Compare pages on the website Sperling's Best Places?

Without logging in or signing up for anything, you can compare any 2 places on such elements as:

Cost of Living (broken down by utilities, housing, food, health, etc.)
Climate (summer high, winter lows, snowfall, rainfall)
Health (water quality, air quality)
Education (how much they spend on each student)
People (married, single, children, race, population, household size, etc.)
Housing (median home age, median home cost, apartment rent)
Crime (violent, property)
Voting (Republican Democrat, Independent)
Transportation
Religion

There is also a third column that comes up with the national average. So, for example, in the Cost of Living element, where the National Average is scored 100, you can see how much utilities score over and under the national average for the two cities/towns as well as how they compare to each other. If you hover your mouse over the sub-elements under Cost of Living, it will tell you the last time the information was updated and what goes into the score for that element. Utilities, for example, was updated November 2005, and includes:

"The average cost of heating or cooling a typical residence for the area, including electricity and natural gas."

All you need to do is select the state from a drop down menu. Allow the database some time to download the cities and towns for that state, then select the city/town from another drop down menu. Then, enter the state you want to compare it to. Wait for it to download the cities and towns from that state and select one. Click on the elements above that interest you. You don't need to know any zip codes.

I've used it to compare where I live now to places where I'm considering moving to, to compare the impact of the move. I've used it to compare 2 towns in different states to compare them to each other on things that matter to me. I've even used it to compare 2 towns in the same area so I know if I want to live in the city or a suburb of that same city.

Try it. It's a very helpful tool.

Laura

Last edited by Yac; 10-30-2007 at 01:34 PM..

Old 03-17-2006, 11:52 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,549,571 times
Default Considering Charlotte/Huntersville

Greetings, another newbie here.

We're considering a move from Colorado to NC, we're looking at Huntersville, but haven't ruled out other 'burbs in the Charlotte metro area. I'd work in Charlotte (at a law firm) and the mrs. would stay home with the bambino. But we also have middle schoolers, so a transition to a good school system is a must.

Speaking of which, I'd read some grumblings about the Charlotte-Mecklenberg School system and what may or may not result in "resegregation", etc. Could be a lot of hoopla, but it does kinda matter.

I'm also seeing home prices (4BR/3BA/newer) below $200k. Does that sound accurate for a nice neighborhood with good schools?

Finally, traffic. In Denver, I-25 is the only main artery in the state. It's bad. So how bad is the commute from Charlotte to Huntersville? Charlotte to Mint Hill?

Thanks so much for all the info that I've read so far.

Ron

Old 03-23-2006, 04:59 PM

1 posts, read 3,847 times
Smile Schools are Good!

I am a fourth grade teacher in Asheville, NC. I have taught in Louisiana, Alabama, Montana and Colorado. I think the quality of education in Colorado has been the best, but NC is a close second. Buncombe County schools in Asheville are generally good schools. Check the particular school in all cases no matter where you are in the country. Despite the deragtory comments from the physics guy--teacher student ratio is smaller than I have ever expereinced--I have 17 kids, pay is the same every where (poor!), and ALL teachers are qualified in Buncombe County. In NC in general, you have to be waulified to be employed. My daughter attends school where I teach and we are very happy.

Buncombe County has a slightly better reputation than Asheville City--mainly from the inner city vs rural applications. NC is not "hot" in the summer--unless you are from Canada! The hottest it got in Asheville last summer was 75-80 degrees!

Old 03-31-2006, 01:56 PM

483 posts, read 1,568,681 times
Default Living in Matthews

Quote:
Originally Posted by recruiter
I live in Matthews and work all over the state. I moved from PA and NJ over 12 years ago and would never consider going back. Ask some questions and I will answer as best I can.
My family and I were considering the Raleigh area, but his job opptys seem to pull him to the Charlotte area. We're looking to make a trip to Charlotte some time next week or the week after, specifically in Matthews (that's where the community is where we are interested in living in). We have a 3-year old daughter and the schools are one of our most top priorities.

Since you live in Matthews, can you give me your input? What about corporal punishment? Is that being used in the Union County schools? That's a big concern for us as well.

Thanks!

Old 03-31-2006, 02:12 PM

483 posts, read 1,568,681 times
Default Relocating to NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by recruiter
The Raleigh/Durham area schools are better than the Charlotte Mecklenburg schools, as far as public goes. Both areas have great private schools.
My family and I are looking to relocate to the Charlotte area within the next several months (specifically Matthews, NC). We would prefer to live in an area that would put us in the middle of Winston-Salem and Raleigh and Greensboro seems to be a good option to consider, but I have no idea what it has to offer in terms of the job market. Are there a good number of industries in the Greensboro area, specifically manufacturing or technology companies?

Old 04-02-2006, 10:12 PM

84 posts, read 123,528 times
I have not heard of anyone using corporal punishment in a long time. Union County schools are somewhat better than CMS schools.
Depends on what industries you are looking for? NC does not have a huge amount of manufacturing since the textiles and furniture are disappearing. Technology is big in the Raleigh/Durham area but again it depends on the industry.

Old 04-03-2006, 07:30 PM

32 posts, read 281,195 times
Hi, my situation is a little different from most here. I am a single parent with a middle schooler from Chicago. My family and friends think I'm crazy I visited North Carolina for a convention- I loved it!!! My parents were born and raised in the South and Hate IT!! They would never consider moving back. My son needs them but I am torn. I love my parents dearly, they're getting older and my sisters and I are close. I know pull out the violins. I recently moved for several months to WI. I experienced people outside of Chicago and although I am happy leaving WI. I don't know if Chicago is for me anymore. I loved the green of North Carolina and the people were nice. I am a Pharmacy Technician and wondering what is the pay in the Asheville or Charlotte Area. Please Help! Thank you all in advance for any feedback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina