Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2022, 08:22 PM

9,781 posts, read 15,808,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I see Jeff Jackson is considering running for Congress in the new US House district 14.
He said he is running! I am so happy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2022, 06:08 AM

13,375 posts, read 27,089,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I see Jeff Jackson is considering running for Congress in the new US House district 14.
Do you think he would be popular there? (South suburbs of Charlotte.)
Is that roughly where Madison Cawthorn said he would run?

Old 02-26-2022, 10:50 AM

59,225 posts, read 27,425,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoe571 View Post
The North Carolina Supreme Court on Feb. 4 struck down Republican-drawn legislative and congressional maps as unconstitutional and asked for new maps to be submitted by Feb. 18.

The state's high court said in its ruling that the maps were unconstitutional "beyond a reasonable doubt under the free elections clause, the equal protection clause, the free speech clause, and the freedom of assembly clause of the North Carolina Constitution."

The maps, which the GOP-controlled legislature approved in November, would create two new Republican-leaning districts and take away two previously Democratic-leaning districts.

https://thehill.com/regulation/court...dwXNu9hYG7dUfE
"The North Carolina Supreme Court on Feb. 4 struck down Republican-drawn legislative and congressional maps as unconstitutional"

I wonder why?

"The results of the 2020 election affected the partisan composition of the North Carolina Supreme Court. Going into the election, Democrats had a 6-1 majority on the court. Republicans held one seat and picked up two net seats, giving Democrats a 4-3 majority."

"The decision came on a 4-3 vote along partisan lines, with a Democratic majority ruling against the maps.

https://news.ballotpedia.org/2020/12...supreme-court/

"North Carolina: Breaking More than 100 Years of Democratic Control"

You don't think the dems engaged in ANY gerrymandering in all those 100 years to keep the repubs in a minority in those districts do you?

Naw, the dems would NEVER do that!

Old 02-26-2022, 11:33 AM

512 posts, read 512,524 times
Where do you read your news?

Old 02-27-2022, 09:10 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,361,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Yes, Jeff Jackson would be very popular there. The new 14th is Jeff's home base. He lives in Charlotte.

No, I don't think it's where Madison Cawthorn was planning on running. That was the 13th and was more west and north of Charlotte, but that district was thrown out. It was plotted for Tim Moore and included Cleveland County. The new 13th is now southern Wake, Johnston, and half of Harnett and Wayne.

Cawthorn currently reps the 11th which is from Polk, Yancy, Mcdowell, and half of Rutherford and west to the state line. The new 10th, which includes Cleveland, Lincoln, Catawba, Burke, Iredell, Alexander and the other half of Rutherford is in between the the new 14th and 11th districts.

Cawthorn hasn't filed for a new district that I am aware of. Deadline is later this week. When he poached the 13th from Tim Moore I think Moore said he was not going to run for Congress after all. I don't know if Moore will change his mind or not and I'm not sure why Cawthorn wanted to poach it. This may have already been announced and I just missed it.

I get a headache thinking about state politics too much, but I have met Jeff Jackson and he is as nice in person as he appears on his ads and social media. I would love to be able to vote for him and was sorry that he dropped out of the senate race. But I appreciated how and why he did it to clear the lane for Cheri Beasley who is also great I'm sure, but I haven't had the pleasure of meeting her.

Old 02-27-2022, 12:02 PM

873 posts, read 1,019,952 times
Agree with poppydog that Jeff Jackson would've been a great candidate for the Senate. To elaborate on the filing deadline, it's this Friday at noon. It'll be interesting to see who decides to run in what districts statewide under the new maps.

https://www.ncsbe.gov/news/press-rel...me-february-24

Old 03-01-2022, 08:45 AM

Well, Madison Cawthorn has now filed to run in his original home district, the western-most part of the state.

https://www.usnews.com/news/politics...ntain-district

Old 03-01-2022, 01:52 PM

4,616 posts, read 6,451,452 times
Quote:
Well, Madison Cawthorn has now filed to run in his original home district, the western-most part of the state.

https://www.usnews.com/news/politics...ntain-district
What a trashy politician

Old 03-02-2022, 06:38 AM

This is a list of the people who have filed to run for US Congress seats so far. The filing period end Friday March 4th. The incumbent in my district 3, Greg Murphy has not filed yet.

https://ballotpedia.org/United_State...Carolina,_2022

Old 03-04-2022, 09:13 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,847,104 times
Quote:
No, Cawthorn's was called "14" in the map that was overturned (at which time he was flip-flipping between two); his is back to "11th" as it had been historically. I understand the desire for legacy districts to keep the number they've had, but in a growing state, it's silly to have district numbers all over the place. The last time NC was numbered in a fairly geographic scheme was when we had 11 districts and the numbers went east-to-west. The past 3 decades, we've gotten a new seat every time and they've never rest the numbering since 11, so 12, 13, and 14 are all over the place. Not significant ij the scheme of things, but it does give people a better idea of where a certain district is if they hear about it on the news.

Hoping Cawthorn loses no matter where he runs. What an embarrassment to NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina