Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2023, 08:43 AM

4,616 posts, read 6,447,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
This is good. And not just compared to "organized fascist hate organization." And helps explain why large North Carolina cities, while still boasting egregiously high violent crime rates, have managed to avoid the apocalyptic consequences as seen in cities such San Fransisco and Portland. Any extremist ideologues blindly wishing away any conservative influence in the Tarheel State simply have their heads in the sand. As a pragmatic Democrat, I understand the dangers of one particular party or ideology wielding too much influence. It's why we in New England, among the most solidly Democratic blocs in the country, consistently put Republican governors in our state houses. Not terribly difficult stuff, for those among us sophisticated enough to grasp the concept.
NC Republicans and New England/Northeast Republican governors are nothing like NC (and most of the nation's) Republican governors. Republican Governors Hogan and Baker championed LGBT rights, civil rights, and a robust social safety net, whereas most current Republican governors are strident, vociferous enemies of these things. What is a "pragmatic Democrat" in these times? Someone who doesn't prioritize civil rights, equality, science, policies that assist the poor and middle class, and doesn't value social and respect for diversity and inclusion? If so, there may be another Party that fits you better today.

Moreover, even in the Northeast/North, there is a noticeable trend toward clear preference for Democratic governors over Republicans because of the dominance of culture issues. Both Maryland and Massachusetts now have ultraprogressive governors. Modern Northeasterners don't want to take a chance that a Republican governor will be a turncoat for the primitive wing of this Party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2023, 09:17 AM

855 posts, read 421,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
NC Republicans and New England/Northeast Republican governors are nothing like NC (and most of the nation's) Republican governors. Republican Governors Hogan and Baker championed LGBT rights, civil rights, and a robust social safety net, whereas most current Republican governors are strident, vociferous enemies of these things. What is a "pragmatic Democrat" in these times? Someone who doesn't prioritize civil rights, equality, science, policies that assist the poor and middle class, and doesn't value social and respect for diversity and inclusion? If so, there may be another Party that fits you better today.

Moreover, even in the Northeast/North, there is a noticeable trend toward clear preference for Democratic governors over Republicans because of the dominance of culture issues. Both Maryland and Massachusetts now have ultraprogressive governors. Modern Northeasterners don't want to take a chance that a Republican governor will be a turncoat for the primitive wing of this Party.
Modern Northeasterners? I'm Boston born, bred and educated with primary residence there, and I don't have any idea what you're talking about. Republican candidates for governorship are always in play for any New England state. And in any state with a free-thinking electorate. Dismissing worthy candidates for office simply because of their party affiliation? Now THIS is primitive. As a pragmatist, I do prioritize the thing you've mentioned. Just so far below safety and prosperity that I can barely see them. Same as the vast majority of Americans. Republican or Democrat. Same as it's always been. You're new though. And the only thing barely visible from your Blue cave of hate and intolerance are the tips of your foam finger.

Last edited by TunedIn; 05-02-2023 at 09:27 AM..

Old 05-02-2023, 09:22 AM

Quote:

I know I shouldn't ask, but may I substitute "merit" and "excellence" for "inclusion" and "diversity". Thank you in advance. Turncoats and fascists? From one preaching respect, inclusion and tolerance? What is that young people say.....smh?

Last edited by TunedIn; 05-02-2023 at 09:32 AM..

Old 05-02-2023, 10:01 AM

4,616 posts, read 6,447,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
Modern Northeasterners? I'm Boston born, bred and educated with primary residence there, and I don't have any idea what you're talking about. Republican candidates for governorship are always in play for any New England state. And in any state with a free-thinking electorate. Dismissing worthy candidates for office simply because of their party affiliation? Now THIS is primitive. As a pragmatist, I do prioritize the thing you've mentioned. Just so far below safety and prosperity that I can barely see them. Same as the vast majority of Americans. Republican or Democrat. Same as it's always been. You're new though. And the only thing barely visible from your Blue cave of hate and intolerance are the tips of your foam finger.
I was involved in the Massachusetts gubernatorial campaign, and know one of the candidates personally. It was a blowout win for the state’s first lesbian governor. The results:
Healey (D) 63.5%
Diehl (R)34.9%

Old 05-02-2023, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I was involved in the Massachusetts gubernatorial campaign, and know one of the candidates personally. It was a blowout win for the state’s first lesbian governor. The results:
Healey (D) 63.5%
Diehl (R)34.9%
Yeah, I voted for her. In this election, I found her the better candidate. Not because she was a Democrat. Or a lesbian. We can argue, but at the end the of the day it doesn't matter what I want. Or what you want. We live in a land where decisions are made in the voting booths and courtrooms, and I'm doubtlessly disappointed as frequently as you are. I just don't cry and whine about it as much. Or vilify as savagely, those who dare to think differently than me.

Last edited by TunedIn; 05-02-2023 at 11:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina