Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2022, 09:41 PM

405 posts, read 317,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
While I’d be a little surprised they’d choose to do what I can only assume would be a pricey remodel, there is some history here. Not only was it the tallest building in Raleigh for most of the 1970s, it also has a dozen or so sister towers spread across the US. Charleston has one. And my mom spend 6 weeks at the one in Long Beach CA when they first moved out there, and she said it helped her adjust with a little memory of home. Reminds me of the GOAT tv drama.

“Nostalgia - its delicate, but potent. Teddy told me that in Greek nostalgia literally means “the pain from an old wound.” It’s a twinge in your heart far more powerful than memory alone. This device isn’t a spaceship, it’s a time machine. It goes backwards, and forwards… it takes us to a place where we ache to go again. It’s not called the wheel, it’s called the carousel. It let’s us travel the way a child travels - around and around, and back home again, to a place where we know are loved.”
I was in San Diego roughly 20 years ago and, lo and behold, there was one there. Just as ugly as the one in Raleigh. You are correct in saying that there were several of them in the US. It's actually quite surprising that one of them wound up in Raleigh. Still, I want to see that sucka torn down. It will be interesting to see what Kimpton does !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2022, 04:35 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,162,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Observer View Post
I was in San Diego roughly 20 years ago and, lo and behold, there was one there. Just as ugly as the one in Raleigh. You are correct in saying that there were several of them in the US. It's actually quite surprising that one of them wound up in Raleigh. Still, I want to see that sucka torn down. It will be interesting to see what Kimpton does !
They will do what will produce the most profit. Guaranteed.

Old 02-03-2022, 08:16 AM

459 posts, read 373,006 times
At least 3 of them in SoCal. One by the Getty Center in Los Angeles, one in Long Beach, and the Little Italy one in San Diego. Probably a few more around the US.

Old 02-05-2022, 02:42 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,936,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
Downtown Raleigh could seriously use more upscale and full service hotels. Kimpton is a great brand and would be a good fit for the area.

The Kimptons in Charlotte, Asheville, and Winston have good restaurants and bars as well... expecting the same in Raleigh, this means locals benefit as well.
I believe the Umstead Hotel on the SAS campus? is Raleigh's only 5-star hotel.

The NC State Alumni hotel "The State View" is a 4 star but it's impressive. On tree-filled Centennial Campus it's beautiful in the summer and has a view of downtown in the distance.

Yes Raleigh needs at least one fancy downtown hotel. Charlotte has several.

Old 02-05-2022, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
I believe the Umstead Hotel on the SAS campus? is Raleigh's only 5-star hotel.

The NC State Alumni hotel "The State View" is a 4 star but it's impressive. On tree-filled Centennial Campus it's beautiful in the summer and has a view of downtown in the distance.

Yes Raleigh needs at least one fancy downtown hotel. Charlotte has several.
According to the US News & World Report rankings, The Umstead Hotel is ranked the # 1 luxury hotel in the state.

Old 02-10-2022, 12:27 PM

807 posts, read 689,000 times
There's just a staggering amount of development being announced everywhere. 27 story apartment tower and 11 story office building was just revealed for the YMCA site in downtown Durham, which will be a block over from another 27 story apartment tower going up at the Duke Clinical Research block (it will be built on the other half of the parking deck). The South Bank building on the next block is coming down so the Novus tower should be starting construction soon. Over in Raleigh there have been a couple of 20 story buildings proposed on the current site of Logan's at Seaboard Station, and the 435ft RUSBUS tower should be starting construction soon. Down in Charlotte, renderings of the development at the Uptown Cabaret/Midnight Diner site have begun being released, and on the other side of Tryon a 31 story tower was just announced which will take over the current Enterprise rent a car lot. Across from that at the Spectrum lot, renderings for the the hotel were just released, which show it to be 20 stories in total (the first ten are part of the existing parking deck). So much is being proposed that it's getting hard to keep track of.

Old 02-10-2022, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_n View Post
There's just a staggering amount of development being announced everywhere. 27 story apartment tower and 11 story office building was just revealed for the YMCA site in downtown Durham, which will be a block over from another 27 story apartment tower going up at the Duke Clinical Research block (it will be built on the other half of the parking deck). The South Bank building on the next block is coming down so the Novus tower should be starting construction soon. Over in Raleigh there have been a couple of 20 story buildings proposed on the current site of Logan's at Seaboard Station, and the 435ft RUSBUS tower should be starting construction soon. Down in Charlotte, renderings of the development at the Uptown Cabaret/Midnight Diner site have begun being released, and on the other side of Tryon a 31 story tower was just announced which will take over the current Enterprise rent a car lot. Across from that at the Spectrum lot, renderings for the the hotel were just released, which show it to be 20 stories in total (the first ten are part of the existing parking deck). So much is being proposed that it's getting hard to keep track of.
You are correct in saying that there is a ton of stuff in the works. In Raleigh, I lost track, but off the top of my head, here are several others (beyond what you mentioned) slated to begin construction in downtown this year:

Turnbridge Equities Glenwood South Creamery towers: one 32-story building and one 20-story building.
Heritage Properties Third Block 83 18-story tower in Glenwood south.
SLI-Mack Real Estate $ 600 million development beside Dix Park; phase one is two 20-story towers.
Dominion Realty Salisbury Square multi-tower project beside the Duke Energy Performing Arts Center.
John Kane's first buildings in Downtown South.

Old 02-10-2022, 05:23 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,162,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Observer View Post
You are correct in saying that there is a ton of stuff in the works. In Raleigh, I lost track, but off the top of my head, here are several others (beyond what you mentioned) slated to begin construction in downtown this year:

Turnbridge Equities Glenwood South Creamery towers: one 32-story building and one 20-story building.
Heritage Properties Third Block 83 18-story tower in Glenwood south.
SLI-Mack Real Estate $ 600 million development beside Dix Park; phase one is two 20-story towers.
Dominion Realty Salisbury Square multi-tower project beside the Duke Energy Performing Arts Center.
John Kane's first buildings in Downtown South.
Currently under construction are the following:
  • 400H 20 story tower Downtown Raleigh
  • Hilton Garden Inn/Homewood Suites 13 story hotel Downtown Raleigh
  • The Tower at Cardinal North Hills Raleigh 18 story
  • North Hills Expansion Multiple buildings at various stories
  • Iron Works mixed used development Midtown Raleigh
  • Midtown Xchange mixed used development Midtown Raleigh

There may be some larger projects that i've missed that have also recently broke ground.

Old 02-10-2022, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post

There may be some larger projects that i've missed that have also recently broke ground.
A couple more:

Another project currently under construction downtown:
The (first of three phases) redevelopment of the former Clancy & Theys site , by John Kane.

Another downtown project slated to break ground this year:
The Madison-603 Glenwood In Glenwood South: One 11-story apartment tower and one 12-story office tower.

Old 02-10-2022, 09:13 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,936,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post

North Hills skyline is now visible from downtown and even South Rolesville.

If North Hills is actually on a hill it could be the more visible than downtown which I have always felt like was at a lower elevation level.

Prior to the 2000s most visitors came and left not sure if Raleigh even had a downtown.

I drove my cousin and his date from Sydney, Australia down South Saunders street and she went "Oh, that's nice" and she felt relieved, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina