Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2023, 07:16 PM

919 posts, read 744,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
"Forefront"? Of what body precisely? Being a Yankee and all, you'll have to refresh my memory.
Quote:
Dismantled. Over a million new residents added over the last decade. Can you tell me objectively what cracks you see appearing in the growth, progress and economic development of North Carolina, especially relative to the rest of the country, and how the "taliban" are directly responsible? I can of course cite many, many examples to the contrary of the same category to offset your partisan extremism. I'd start of course with over 5000 good paying jobs being created by Toyota at the Randolph Megasite in addition to the jobs being created at the booming PTI Megasite. Then I'd probably mention the absolutely oustanding completion of the 840 Urban Loop. Or that houses are selling in Greensboro as fast as they're built. And this is only the tip of the iceberg in the Triad alone. If things are being dismantled here, we haven't noticed. You may personally dislike Republicans, but handing complete control of our state over to Democrats is like giving your car keys to a six year old.
Yes, I would strongly suggest you learn something about NC history. That will provide you with some context of where we are as a state.

The foundation for today's NC was laid many years ago by a bipartisan (but predominantly democrat for much of the time), business friendly but progressive government. Its moderation was its greatest asset. It set the stage for today's growth.

A million new residents is slightly below the average for several decades prior to 2010, btw. NC did exist prior to 2010, and was extremely successful. It didn't need a takeover.

Today's general assembly is destroying public schools, suppressing voters, over reaching into the affairs of our cities and counties, trampling on the university system, taking as much power away from the governor as possible, etc., etc. Its not a path to long term prosperity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2023, 08:00 PM

851 posts, read 416,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wister View Post
Yes, I would strongly suggest you learn something about NC history. That will provide you with some context of where we are as a state.

The foundation for today's NC was laid many years ago by a bipartisan (but predominantly democrat for much of the time), business friendly but progressive government. Its moderation was its greatest asset. It set the stage for today's growth.

A million new residents is slightly below the average for several decades prior to 2010, btw. NC did exist prior to 2010, and was extremely successful. It didn't need a takeover.

Today's general assembly is destroying public schools, suppressing voters, over reaching into the affairs of our cities and counties, trampling on the university system, taking as much power away from the governor as possible, etc., etc. Its not a path to long term prosperity.
"Today's growth". Thank you, I couldn't have said it better myself. And by "takeover", I'm assuming you mean "democracy"?

Last edited by TunedIn; 06-25-2023 at 08:37 PM..

Old 06-26-2023, 06:31 AM

426 posts, read 223,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
The party that's begging for men in women's bathrooms is the one "burning down the cornerstones", not the other way around. Dems are the party of mental illness to be honest these days. Not all dems of course, but if you're mentally ill and think you're a woman but born a man, there's 100% chance you'll be a dem.
if you really are interested in better understanding mental illness, I suggest you start by researching narcissistic symbiosis and shared psychosis.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...his-loyalists/

You have propaganda outlets masquerading as news and prosperity churches masquerading as religion, and a not-insignificant portion of the electorate are fully enveloped in their nonsense and will offer to murder anyone who doesn't agree with, or act like, them in the name of “patriotism” and “American values.”

Old 06-26-2023, 06:47 AM

Quote:
"Today's growth". Thank you, I couldn't have said it better myself.
Yes, "today's growth" is, inconveniently for you, actually less than previous decades. The point is NC didn't go from zero to 100 in 2010...we were already zooming. Might be something to think about.

Old 06-26-2023, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Yes, "today's growth" is, inconveniently for you, actually less than previous decades. The point is NC didn't go from zero to 100 in 2010...we were already zooming. Might be something to think about.
Previous decades. That it's then, case closed.

Last edited by TunedIn; 06-26-2023 at 08:12 AM..

Old 06-26-2023, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Previous decades. That it's, case closed.
Yes, case IS closed. The past provides context for the present. NC has been growing and thriving for a long time. The current GA didn't create our present success, but they are absolutely doing things that will harm that success.

Old 06-26-2023, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Yes, case IS closed. The past provides context for the present. NC has been growing and thriving for a long time. The current GA didn't create our present success, but they are absolutely doing things that will harm that success.
Speaking of the past, I'm stuck on this history thing you brought up. When you say that Republicans "took over", do you mean that they weren't actually elected or kept in office as a majority for 13 years by the voters? And wouldn't it be more correct to say that you, yourself, as well as a minority of the North Carolina electorate didn't "need" them? Political alignments ebb and flow and we're all disappointed occasionally, it's the nature of a representative democracy. Most understand this. Some cry and whine. And moon over past decades. In 2023.

Old 06-26-2023, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Speaking of the past, I'm stuck on this history thing you brought up. When you say that Republicans "took over", do you mean that they weren't actually elected or kept in office as a majority for 13 years by the voters? And wouldn't it be more correct to say that you, yourself, as well as a minority of the North Carolina electorate didn't "need" them? Political alignments ebb and flow and we're all disappointed occasionally, it's the nature of a representative democracy. Most understand this. Some cry and whine. And moon over past decades. In 2023.
And some obfuscate, create strawmen and move goalposts because all they want to do is argue pointlessly and endlessly. They are incapable of actually considering new information and adjusting their opinions.

Old 06-26-2023, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Post covid, 2000-2022, the 3 fastest growing states, Florida, Idaho and Montana have Republican political trifectas. The two fasting shrinking, New York and Illinois have Democratic trifectas. The Shriveling Sisters of California and Oregon have Democratic trifectas while the Bursting Brothers of Florida and Texas have Republican trifectas. In my opinion, in North Carolina, the focus at least with a Democrat as Executive, should be more toward replacing conservative Republicans with moderate Republicans than with Democrats.
I assume that is per capita? E.g., there are more people in Wake County than the entire state of Montana. Fun fact, per capita, there are more Floridians moving to California than Californians moving to Florida.

Old 06-26-2023, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Some cry and whine. And moon over past decades. In 2023.
I mean, that’s sort of the point behind “Make American Great Again,” isn’t it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina