Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 07:10 PM

6,126 posts, read 4,614,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I find it fascinating Huntersville made the list considering in the late 80's the city population was below 2,000.
Huntersville (and much of Union County which didn't make the list) seem like Charlotte's counterpart to the Triangle's booming Town of Cary (and increasingly Apex, Wake Forest, Holly Springs, etc.). The Triad really doesn't have a comparable "boomburb", at least not to the extent that the Triangle and Charlotte have several, which is both good and bad.

Also, on that list, High Point (aside from the far northern/northeastern areas next to Greensboro) feels somewhat smaller than its size, probably because it has the challenge of feeling like the Triad's third wheel, partly due to somewhat less favorable demographics (although not as bad as many make it out to be) and its proximity to Greensboro and Winston-Salem, both which have caused many retailers to locate in the other two largest Triad cities instead. And its trade area doesn't extend very far outside its boundaries, unlike a city such as Wilmington, where people are coming from well outside of Wilmington/New Hanover County to work, do their shopping, entertainment, etc.

Also, Hickory, despite its mixed economic outlook, just feels larger to me than its population, especially with the amount of retail. I'm thinking about the area near Valley Hills (?) Mall, off I-40. Yes, much of this is chain retailers, but there always seem to be more than what would be expected for a city of under 50,000.

Last edited by Jowel; 10-08-2014 at 08:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 07:41 PM

3,087 posts, read 4,865,388 times
The question in the new era is whether development is going on in the city limits or not. Apartment complexes outside city limits will likely stay that way. Even Cary had a tendency to sprawl which may not happen going forward. Are they going to grow up instead of out?

Old 10-08-2014, 07:58 PM

401 posts, read 657,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post

A friend of mine told me they were getting a Cheese Cake Factory. Is that true? Is it going in this new mall? My god-son loves that place. Might be time for a trip to Fayetteville. I have family in Raeford good to see some positive things going on in that part of N.C.
There's already a cheese cake factory in Fayetteville, its in Cross Creek Mall, which is already built. 'Fayetteville is good for trips, if you come, should also take the time to check out a few museums, parks, and other fantastic things Fayetteville has to offer at the largest city in eastern North Carolina
Lol^^^^

Old 10-08-2014, 09:01 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,962,965 times
Greensboro should be hitting 300.000 pretty soon, or it may be over that already.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:36 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,184,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmysmile View Post
There are alot of residentials under construction. Here's just to name a few of major things under construction in Fayetteville just to name a few, not exactly sure on the name, just what the construction sign says its going to be-
1. IMAX movie theater
2. Another mall
3. Another walmart
4. 2 apartment complexes
5. A new sub-division (wow)
6. I-295 (Traffic...)
7. Car Dealership
8. A eh, another skyscraper? I see 2 floors and a crane, maybe.
9. Eh, not sure if this is true or not, but, Raeford (Raeford is soon going to be Fayetteville according to another thread)
Still, the data doesn't support significant growth in population in Fayetteville/Cumberland.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:32 AM

275 posts, read 331,130 times
What happened to Jacksonville?

Old 10-09-2014, 07:55 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,184,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. ENC View Post
What happened to Jacksonville?
I'd guess that as the Iraq war machine slowed down, the presence of military families slipped and caused the population to shrink.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:15 AM

401 posts, read 657,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Still, the data doesn't support significant growth in population in Fayetteville/Cumberland.
Those are a few things under construction now, I guess we should see in the 2014, or 2015 population.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:33 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,506,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Is this new mall a proposal or really going to happen?
Quote:
There are alot of residentials under construction. Here's just to name a few of major things under construction in Fayetteville just to name a few, not exactly sure on the name, just what the construction sign says its going to be-
1. IMAX movie theater
2. Another mall
3. Another walmart
4. 2 apartment complexes
5. A new sub-division (wow)
6. I-295 (Traffic...)
7. Car Dealership
8. A eh, another skyscraper? I see 2 floors and a crane, maybe.
9. Eh, not sure if this is true or not, but, Raeford (Raeford is soon going to be Fayetteville according to another thread)
The only "mall" I can think of going up right now is the new Marketfair, which is just a shopping center that's getting totally revamped. Not a mall. No skyscraper lol.

Marketfair Shopping Center, Fayetteville, North Carolina (NC)Marketfair Shopping Center, Fayetteville, North Carolina (NC)

Quote:
There's already a cheese cake factory in Fayetteville, its in Cross Creek Mall, which is already built. 'Fayetteville is good for trips, if you come, should also take the time to check out a few museums, parks, and other fantastic things Fayetteville has to offer at the largest city in eastern North Carolina
Lol^^^^
???????Cheesecake Factory in Fayetteville huh. Lol you are a trip.

Y'all be warned there is NO Cheesecake Factory in Fayettevile and there are no plans for one. They have declined several times to open a store here.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:06 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,251,504 times
The town of Cary has a larger population than any city in South Carolina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina