Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 03:35 PM

954 posts, read 4,377,174 times

Advertisements

I remember as a kid growing up in the Suburbs of Detroit that when my sisters family would visit from Mississippi, you would see their son lying on his back in the yard. When asked why, he would drawl," cause i don't have to worry about snakes or lizards or fire ants or ticks."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2006, 08:14 PM

693 posts, read 2,760,655 times
AARGH my neighboor told me he found a snake last week on his back year. Now I'm SCARED!

Old 07-31-2006, 11:56 PM

476 posts, read 2,318,545 times
Default Thank You!

I want to thank all of you for your info! Great advice mm34b and Niki and thanks all for sharing your experiences and all! I feel a little better about snakes but still they make me squirm! I go jogging and I have probably seen over 20 in the past 4 years. I live in the Albuquerque area. They really don't want anyone killing the rattlesnakes here since the rattlesnakes keep the mice population down and we have a lot of problems with mice diseases in NM like Hantavirus and the Plague- yes the same plague that killed all those millions in the middle ages. So I leave them alone but they scare me. I do know after reading the Texas forum that they have a lot there too and I discovered that snakes like to hide up in your dryer vent hole! That hole in the back of your dryer that goes outside. YIKES! I put a screen over that. I see how they would like the heat and a place to hide. I would scream my head off if I opened my dryer and there a rattlesnake flew out of it!!! Also I got two cats cause someone I know told me too that cats can smell snakes and will act funny and run from them where dogs will go seek them out and get bit. Also cats keep the mice down and according to what she told me, it is the mice that is drawing those slimy creatures up to your house in the first place so no mice, no snakes! Funny, since I have my two cats for about 9 months, I haven't seen any snakes! Someone also said on the Texas forum that turkeys and hogs will kill snakes! Now if you can just find away to clean up after the hogs! Thanks All!!!

Old 08-01-2006, 12:05 AM

476 posts, read 2,318,545 times
OH MY! I forgot to tell a snake "tale" that happened to my neighbor about week ago. Her 10 year old girl has a doll house in her yard, the kind that is bigger so she can go in, and she heard a weird noise and went to tell her mom and my neighbor said she found a rattlesnake coiled up ready to strike with the rattle going off like crazy in her dollhouse! EEK! They fled and waited for her husband who when he came home looked everywhere and couldn't find it! So that is what has had me thinking about my baby girl. Needless to say, she won't be having a dollhouse outside!

Old 08-01-2006, 07:38 AM

954 posts, read 4,377,174 times
Default Another Snake Tail

When I lived in Eastern NC, I used to go canoing quite a bit. There was a particular river we traversed that was noted for having lots of snakes along the banks. Everyone always warned us about getting too close to the trees along the bank. Well, a friend met a guy who said that he and his wife were on that river. The inadvertently drifted up alongside the bank under a tree. All of a sudden, a snake fell in the boat. Well, the guys wife stood up and grabbed a tree limb and the boat drifted out from under her. The guy was trying to kill the snake in the boat and hoping his wife wouldn't get bit by a snake while hanging from the tree. She eventually just dropped to the water and swam to shore.
The moral to the story is that if someone warns you that an area is bad for snakes, then take them seriously.

Old 08-01-2006, 08:41 AM

1,865 posts, read 5,377,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point, Burlington, Salisbury, Raleigh, Durham, Cary, Chapel Hill, Charlotte and all towns in between. Don't venture too far east of the Raleigh area if you want to be in the Piedmont.

And, yes, Asheville and western NC is where our mountains are.
So...would you consider Mooresville, east of I-77 in this area? I'm at the edge of town & gave a cat that's a fierce hunter. She brings me everything! In all her 14 yrs with us, I think I've seen 2 snakes, both dead at her paws.

BxRosie

Old 08-01-2006, 02:53 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,852,971 times
Snakes make my skin crawl, I don't even like the sound of the word snake. I do understand that we have invaded their habitat but... A couple of weeks ago I came home from work to find a note from my cleaning lady. It seems that she came into my house, went into the master bath to gather towels, took them to the laundry room and when she returned to begin cleaning the bathroom she encountered a coiled up snake it the doorway to the bathroom. She's as scared of snakes as I am but she went out to the garage, got a broom and swept that sucker all the way through my house and out the front door into a flower bed. I have nominated her for sainthood! The consensus it that it was likely a rat snake but it was still a SNAKE! I may never sleep peacefully again in my house because I still don't know how it got in and how long it had been there. As recently as last night I made my husband look under all the bedroom furniture before I would get into bed because one of my cats was hunkered down and swatting at something under it. (Turned out to be a sock but I had to know that.) Give me a spider, bug or mouse any day.

Old 08-01-2006, 03:08 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,270,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxRosie
So...would you consider Mooresville, east of I-77 in this area? I'm at the edge of town & gave a cat that's a fierce hunter. She brings me everything! In all her 14 yrs with us, I think I've seen 2 snakes, both dead at her paws.

BxRosie
Yes, I would consider Mooresville to be in the Piedmont. Western Piedmont.

Old 08-01-2006, 10:34 PM

1,865 posts, read 5,377,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki
Yes, I would consider Mooresville to be in the Piedmont. Western Piedmont.
THANK YOU Niki!!

Our new house has nothng but open fields & wooded area behind it, it's part of the reason why we chose it. I figured there'd be some snakes, but some of these posts make it sound like they are everywhere, ready to strike at a moments notice!

I have woods all around me now & a brook. We have very few snakes, mostly garter & rat, so they've never been a real problem. I'm not afraid of them, they just gross me out, but I still wouldn't want one coming into my house!

Rosie

Old 08-01-2006, 11:51 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,270,933 times
We do have snakes in the Piedmont. (Including the poisonous copperheads.) With woods and fields nearby, I would definitely be cautious. Keep your grass cut low so that you can see them better if one should happen to come to your property.

I live in the Piedmont and have trees and a field closeby, but I've only seen one snake since we moved into this house almost 8 years ago. And it wasn't near my house. It was in the middle of another road (dead) in my neighborhood.

I wouldn't expect you to be overrun with them (like those spiders in arachnophobia, for example lol), but don't assume you'll never or rarely see one. I'm not saying you would assume such a thing. lol Just cautioning you to keep your eyes open.

All the best!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina