Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 06:22 PM

27 posts, read 59,566 times

Advertisements

Hi-
I am hoping to find some insight into Jamestown. My husband and myself are considering relocating to North Dakota. I was laid off a year ago. My husband works in criminal justice. We have found ourselves in a situation that our options in Texas are getting slim. So he is applying for a position in Jamestown. I have a few questions I am hoping someone can give me some direction.
1. Does a highly qualified application coming from Texas have a shot? Or is there a worry about the weather running us off?
2. Are the people in Jamestown open to new people, some small towns in Texas can be uhmm???...clanish, if that makes sense. I am particularly worried about my kids starting at the Jr. High and High school.
3.I would be needing to find a job also, how difficult would it be able to secure a position making 10+ dollars an hour, my background is in accounts.
4. How difficult would it be to find housing? I read about the shortages in the oilfields, but how does a town like Jamestown fair? We would need 3 bds, and pet friendly..big pet! a mastiff mix...is that dang near impossible?
If anyone can offer advice on getting hired! We find lots of postings, just have not heard back, anything to help get our foot in the door!..
Thank you for any advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 06:44 PM

625 posts, read 1,883,987 times
I'm in Valley City, 1/2 hour to the east. I think you should do OK in finding a job for yourself & a place to live.

Can't say anything about the schools. Maybe someone else will pop in.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:56 PM

Thank you, we are in a hard situation that we can not afford to visit. But Jamestown looks like a great town, we do not need alot...like restaurant or shopping wise. Mostly just concerned with raising our kids, and hope we could find a nice church.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:00 PM

419 posts, read 1,397,934 times
Yes, there is growth and development happening in Jamestown right now. Cavendish farms, a potato processor, has a major plant there and development new hospital also just opened. Certainly housing should not be problem .
Kids in the schools -- who knows. But my guess is that most of N D has realized that populations are mobile and folks have rediscovered this state. In the past month my son's class in Fargo has welcomed kids from Florida, China and Iraq.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:07 PM

Thank you..that is exactly what I want to hear..that new folks are expected. So is the only (best) to do just keep sending applications and hope to hear back?

Old 12-03-2011, 07:12 PM

Have you looked on the state jobs website? www.jobsnd.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillibeth View Post
Thank you..that is exactly what I want to hear..that new folks are expected. So is the only (best) to do just keep sending applications and hope to hear back?

Old 12-03-2011, 07:21 PM

Yes, and we are putting together and sending out the most good-looking applications you have ever seen!!!..so we do feel it is just a matter of time..a few people here have expressed to us that the northern states do not feel Texans can ' hack' it..so they do not want to fill the position only to have to start all over..But this is absolutely an extremely well thought out decision..we are not implusive or wishy washy regarding relocating our family.We have all intentions of this being a permanent move.
My largest concern is getting a position then not being about to secure a home. Or the town being to small for myself to find full-time employment.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:33 PM

Well, Jamestown has around 14,000. Valley City has 6,500 or so. A few days ago, I looked @ Job Service and there were nearly 200 vacancies in town or within up to 30 miles away, so I'd think a town twice our size should have even more jobs.

Old 12-03-2011, 09:06 PM

746 posts, read 1,730,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillibeth View Post
Thank you, we are in a hard situation that we can not afford to visit. But Jamestown looks like a great town, we do not need alot...like restaurant or shopping wise. Mostly just concerned with raising our kids, and hope we could find a nice church.
Call the local church in Jamestown that think you might have the most interest in:

Jamestown North Dakota churches - Google Search

Mostly Lutheran and Catholic churches in Jamestown, but there is other denominations.

One of the nicer things about Jamestown is that there is a private college there that is actually well thought of. That obviously brings in college kids, but the college helps make the town more educationally motivated than most towns its size.

There's a smaller mall in town and a few decent restaurants. A lot of people save their bigger shopping for Fargo or Bismarck.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:37 PM

394 posts, read 1,170,504 times
I am in Jamestown. Would be more than happy to help you out. Even show you around if you come to visit. Just send me a private message for my phone number.

Schools are great. New high school a few years ago.

Lots of church choices. Jobs shouldn't be a problem. Should be able to find a $10+ an hour job if qualified.

Lot's of recreation (fishing, hunting, boating, nature, etc...)

1.5 hours to Fargo for major shopping. 5 hours to Minneapolis for a large metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota