Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 09:01 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,258,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntershotokan View Post
Well hello friends, I am from Houston, TX. I found a truck driving job online, I though it was a joke at first, but I apply anyway. They hired me, so I did my training in Texas, then the company had given me expence money to come to North Dakota. I caught 3 bus and a train to get here. I arrive with only a suitcase in my hand. I live in a man camp for 3 month, until I found a house in Minot. Then my company gave me 3000 moving expence money. I then brung my wife up here. She got a job the same week. We have been here 17 months now. Recently bring my Mom and brother up here to work. My mom works at the hospital with my wife. My brother been working the Labor pool everyday, all of them offer him a full time position, but he turn them down. I came here empty handed, now I have 4 bedroom house, brought 2 cars cash, and my family, and lots of ND friends. So don't give up, keep searching, you must have a computer to keep up with the housing and jobs. God bless you all. Peace.
That is a wonderful story. One that I notice lots of people aspire too. Congrats, and Welcome!! I will remind folks that 17 mths ago was before the flood in Minot which made so many people homeless, and before this recent National awareness which has brought so many people flocking to the boom areas of N.D. I hope others can find their jobs, and reach their goals too. I am just wanting to remind folks of the "present" day realities, keep trying but proceed w/ as much information as you possibly can w/ regards to housing etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 09:54 AM

12 posts, read 40,459 times
So glad to hear about all your successes. Feels like the good old days when, if you were willing to work hard, you could make it. I hope all those who try are as successful as you are.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:11 AM

12 posts, read 23,386 times
Default Add on.

Thanks everyone for the warm response, I just wanted to share some my experience with those looking forward to coming here to North Dakota, I also wanted to add that, I was deeply affected by the Mouse flood 2011, live 3 block from the river. My basement got flood out, my wife and I moved to the MSU center, and this is where seen the Dakotan come together, they show us so much love and Kindness, almost God like, You know one minute you have an home and next you don't. This was an hard time for us, but through pray and support, we made it though okay, also my Job also stepped and help out. Minot is a small city with a big Heart. Thanks again for all the Love. Sensei Hunter

Old 12-15-2011, 02:00 PM

32 posts, read 102,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingGuy View Post
There's a YouTube video posted in one of the threads by a lady that went to Williston with her boyfriend or husband (I forgot) a few weeks ago. He had a CDL with 1 year experience (I think) and found a job in less than a week or so. He was in a camper/RV and I don't remember if they employer offered housing. The pay was around $25/hr. This is just me, but if I had a CDL and experience, I'd take an "exploratory" trip up there and see what comes of it. Either way, good luck!
If we take an "exploratory" trip there, where should we go and any tips on what to do while we are there or before we leave? Obviously we would have to go during the week and take time off work so I need to make sure it's well worth our time to head out there.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:58 PM

941 posts, read 1,917,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
in her best Clint Eastwood impression~~~~~`Tips hat at Laina 1980......."Shuck's mam, twern't nothing" `~~~~~
I really do hope folks can update as they have time, there are lots of posters that have helped, including You! it is a community effort. I would like to see more threads., w/ more topics. So many good ideas on here, so many helpful folks. Even if you aren't coming yet, share your planning, it may help others. Updates??
LOl, love Clint......We are still planning on going but really going to focus on Bismarck then my husband can go wherever, LOl, ideally Dickinson but really anywhere is fine. He is gonna get the CDL next month in St Cloud other than that not too many options other than the tech school here in Alex but it is full semester trucking school. Would love to live in Bismarck saw they have some good secondary schools for kids. Kind of got discouraged seeing so many having to endure a lot to get even interviews but really is just the way it is and just gonna have to try harder . Is actually better for us so it forced my husband to get the CDL he was gonna get it even before ND came in our path.

Happy to see others updates and pray for a great New Year for everyone and thier job search.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:10 PM

941 posts, read 1,917,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyd11 View Post
If we take an "exploratory" trip there, where should we go and any tips on what to do while we are there or before we leave? Obviously we would have to go during the week and take time off work so I need to make sure it's well worth our time to head out there.
That is great idea, we went for 2 days(really 1 day 1 night) and it was not enough but got to see around. Originally we planned to go a week but my husbands job was not being generous. Is good to also keep eye on weather patterns, if driving there, we went at good time but saw the weather turned bad right after.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:35 PM

Laina1980 Sounds like some good planning in the works. You will be ahead of the game when you get here. Bismarck is good, and Dickinson is growing as much, and who know, supposed to be more this summer there, and south of there. So, you may have more options. Happy Holidays & New year....

Old 12-16-2011, 09:21 AM

32 posts, read 102,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laina1980 View Post
LOl, love Clint......We are still planning on going but really going to focus on Bismarck then my husband can go wherever, LOl, ideally Dickinson but really anywhere is fine. He is gonna get the CDL next month in St Cloud other than that not too many options other than the tech school here in Alex but it is full semester trucking school. Would love to live in Bismarck saw they have some good secondary schools for kids. Kind of got discouraged seeing so many having to endure a lot to get even interviews but really is just the way it is and just gonna have to try harder . Is actually better for us so it forced my husband to get the CDL he was gonna get it even before ND came in our path.

Happy to see others updates and pray for a great New Year for everyone and thier job search.
My hubby got his CDL in St. Cloud too...about 5 years ago though. We used to live pretty close to there. It sounds like you live in Alex...we have a cabin in Glenwood-so pretty close!

Old 01-01-2012, 05:42 PM

There are quite a few folks missing lately, some where heading up to ND right after Christmas. Anyone know if they got jobs?? Updates?? Folks already in Williston, did you find housing? jobs??

Old 01-01-2012, 06:30 PM

60 posts, read 156,971 times
I am here in Minot waiting for my start date next Tuesday 3 January. Found a GREAT deal on a room, shared bathroom, small living area and fridge/microwave, wireless internet and laundry. This came from my housing wanted ad on Craigslist. Still some honest people to be found.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota